The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
Mar 22, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #1,366 of 2,080

You could make some serious money if you started making and selling those mods. That is the nicest HD580 I have ever seen by far!!

I am particularly interested in the lamb skin headband.

Mar 23, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #1,370 of 2,080
If anybody is trying to refurbish their ancient HD580's I've actually had success with Sennheiser where you send them a decrepit pair of HD580's and they send your stuff back basically brand new with any iffy parts replaced which in my scenario included pads, cable, headband.. and there may have been a driver swap but I don't remember. I do remember things sounding better, but I still have my 580's! The price was like $100 at the time and their service, communication, and overall feel of the brand as a whole from that experience was very luxurious and accommodating.

Mar 24, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #1,371 of 2,080
If anybody is trying to refurbish their ancient HD580's I've actually had success with Sennheiser where you send them a decrepit pair of HD580's and they send your stuff back basically brand new with any iffy parts replaced which in my scenario included pads, cable, headband.. and there may have been a driver swap but I don't remember. I do remember things sounding better, but I still have my 580's! The price was like $100 at the time and their service, communication, and overall feel of the brand as a whole from that experience was very luxurious and accommodating.

How long ago was this? I'm interested in doing just this if it's cheaper than buying those parts separately.

Mar 24, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #1,372 of 2,080

That would be great, but I doubt they would still offer that service now considering the HD580 has been discontinued. It wouldn't hurt to call and ask, but don't get your hopes up.

Anyone that is wanting parts replaced, the HD600 and HD650 parts are 100% compatible with the HD580, you can order whatever you need and just paint them black/dark grey to match your HD580. I'm sure most of you already know this, I just figured I would share that in the small chance that someone reading didn't.

Mar 24, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #1,373 of 2,080
If anyone has a spare headband, I'd love to buy it. The problem with buying through Sennheiser is that their headband includes the yolks and everything, which brings the price to ~$70 for an HD600 headband and even more for the HD650. I just want that one piece of plastic!

Mar 24, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #1,374 of 2,080
I have seen others use epoxy or maybe it was gorilla glue and strips of rounded over metal adhered to the outside of the plastic as reinforcement.  There might be room enough to glue a small piece inside the headband too, to double it up.  Next use a beyer snap-on headband over the patch job... or if you do it right it should be flat enough to use the OEM headband padding.

Heres a thread from a while back:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/319821/dont-like-big-sennheiser-word-on-600-650-headband-erase-it

Someone here used aluminum and rivets.

Mar 24, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #1,375 of 2,080
I did the headband mod and it works great...  I used thicker leather and it bunched up more than the other members job.  but its really comfy.  it adds a little bit of weight too.  its a $8-10 mod so I might re-do it at some point.

Mar 24, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #1,377 of 2,080
That riveted headband looks sweet! Mine is just stretched out, luckily not broken, so I should be able to reinforce it with sheet metal. I really dig the all black look of yours, by the way. I was dreaming up that look and hadn't seen it done before (HD600 black grills with the black headband and HD650 cable).

Mar 30, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #1,378 of 2,080
My HD 580's, purchased from a guy in New York on eBay, came in the mail a week ago.  $171 shipped.  They are SPECTACULAR !!! 

Quickly becoming favorites.

Apr 3, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #1,379 of 2,080
  My HD 580's, purchased from a guy in New York on eBay, came in the mail a week ago.  $171 shipped.  They are SPECTACULAR !!! 

Quickly becoming favorites.

Welcome to the HD 580 club!!!  Im using it now to listen Paco de Lucia.  It sound great with classic music.  

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #1,380 of 2,080
After a decade of loyal service, I've replaced my HD580's drivers. Got the capsules from Custom Cable in the UK. Now they are ready for an additional decade of fantastic musical reproduction! Cheers to all! 

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back