The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
Aug 1, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #961 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes... they are - you have to be pretty careful with them.

You can likely "pop" them out, or gently press them out, if they won't "pop." The HD650 grills are more rigid and tend to "pop" out. The HD600 grills may be so soft you have to "work" out any dents. But, you should be able to do that, if you work them carefully.

I got most of them to popped out but I think I can still find a couple of very fine dents by touch... oh well. I should have been more careful.

But replacing the grills seems to worth the effort! Bass seems to be less boomy. The cans now sound a bit more "open". May be because the HD600 grills are not as airflow restrictive as the stock plastic ones?

Aug 1, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #962 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by QuadESL63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got most of them to popped out but I think I can still find a couple of very fine dents by touch... oh well. I should have been more careful.

So how exactly did you get all these dents? I've had the 600 grills on my 580s for quite some time, and I've only experience a little bit of paint scratching off, but absolutely no dents like you describe.

Aug 1, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #963 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by bperboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So how exactly did you get all these dents? I've had the 600 grills on my 580s for quite some time, and I've only experience a little bit of paint scratching off, but absolutely no dents like you describe.

I made them when I tried to snap them in place on the cans
rolleyes.gif
Actually mine are quite soft and I would imagine if I'm not careful and hit it onto something hard/firm it will dent.

Aug 1, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #964 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by QuadESL63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I made them when I tried to snap them in place on the cans
rolleyes.gif
Actually mine are quite soft and I would imagine if I'm not careful and hit it onto something hard/firm it will dent.

Hmm, when my grills go in place, it takes hardly any effort at all.. maybe they weren't aligned properly? It just seems to me like your experience with installation was quite different than mine.
rolleyes.gif

Aug 14, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #967 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by graben /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an HD580, HD600 grills, and an HD650 cord on the way. I can't wait!

Would be very interested to hear your thoughts on your new setup after you have a chance to listen to it-especially what you think of the cable. I have been contemplating some sore of mod and/or upgrade to my old HD580s. They are great headphones, especially for the money ($150 here about two years ago).
580smile.gif

Sep 13, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #968 of 2,080
Anyone know where I can buy a replacement headband?

I love my hd580s but I somehow managed to break the headband. They used to sell them on their website, but it doesn't appear that they do anymore.

Sep 13, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #969 of 2,080
Call them up?

Oct 1, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #970 of 2,080
i've been away from home all summer, and the SR80 has been my primary headphone now for about 6 months. I almost forgot about my beloved senns, as they have been boxed in my closet for a long time now. on a whim, i plugged them in again, and it was like greeting an old friend. I had forgotten what felt like to be enveloped in the cushy velour earpads! OH and that glorious sound stage! so much more lush and pleasant than the grados...

Oct 1, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #971 of 2,080
I just got a new pair today. I'm breaking them in but so far they sound great and seem to be a good change of pace form my k701 (which I do love).

Oct 2, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #972 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by dlfnation /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know where I can buy a replacement headband?

I love my hd580s but I somehow managed to break the headband. They used to sell them on their website, but it doesn't appear that they do anymore.

ooo, try to get them to send you a 650 headband. That would look kool if you have already done the grill swap.

Oct 2, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #973 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by mow_the_hawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got a new pair today. I'm breaking them in but so far they sound great and seem to be a good change of pace form my k701 (which I do love).

The HD580s are a perfect complement for the K701 or the K501. I never get bored between the three.

Oct 3, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #974 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by ciphercomplete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD580s are a perfect complement for the K701 or the K501. I never get bored between the three.

That's good to hear. I see you have the Little Dot MK III. I am wondering if that works well for all those cans.

Nov 4, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #975 of 2,080
Hello everyone, after owning HD205s for a few years I finally took my first step into higher quality headphones the other month. I got these HD 580s with cracked ear housings, a shoddy cable...and I accidentally crunched the headband with my chair and took a huge chunk out of the paint.

Well I bought HD600 grilles, an HD 650 cable, and just got a Beyer DT series pleather wrap to cover the damage and I have to say, these headphones are beauts now! Next and final thing will be some new earpads as these are a bit worn.

img3681wj4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back