Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And plastic.
evil_smiley.gif

Oh, that's good
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #3,888 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone with a HD800 preorder getting itchy about the Grado PS1000 just released?
wink.gif

ps1000.png

$1700

I for one sure am, especially since the HD800 got bumped to late April now.
Expecting to hear PS1000 at NYC Head-Fi meet tomorrow,... along with Edition 8??? Just from reading, the HD800 seems much more like a primary headphone for me, but I love that special sound of the GS1000 (stock or recabled) for certain recordings, so PS1000 is VERY enticing.

Mar 21, 2009 at 7:22 AM Post #3,890 of 5,928
nothing really new though i did find this bit interesting

Quote:

"Of course, things like the innovation of this new transducer - the ring radiator – forms a perfect platform that we could explore with new and additional models below and above."

Mar 21, 2009 at 7:38 AM Post #3,891 of 5,928
think also important (official statement)
...'TechRadar wanted to know just how close the £1,000 headphone gets to the legendary £10,000 Orpheus system – the company's statement product of old.
"It's hardly comparable" commented Volker, "It's a completely different technology and completely different sound".'...

Mar 21, 2009 at 8:46 AM Post #3,893 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by billyearle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I for one sure am, especially since the HD800 got bumped to late April now.
Expecting to hear PS1000 at NYC Head-Fi meet tomorrow,... along with Edition 8??? Just from reading, the HD800 seems much more like a primary headphone for me, but I love that special sound of the GS1000 (stock or recabled) for certain recordings, so PS1000 is VERY enticing.

i'm interested to read the reviews once both are in full circulation. i'm generally a grado guy, but the hd800 is intriguing...i hate the way the ps-1000 looks, but the initial reviews are fantastic...even more so than the hd800.

Mar 21, 2009 at 9:00 AM Post #3,895 of 5,928
...'the final stages of assembly include careful checks and cable installation. Not being a cable manufacturer, Sennheiser has also outsourced this task to a local cable expert to its own specification: high-performance, twin-core and Teflon-insulated.
Swiss-made, gold-plated jacks add the final touch of luxury. The finished drool-worthy headphone is then comprehensively tested before being packaged in an appropriately high-end box.'..

Discover how Sennheiser makes headphones | News | TechRadar UK

Mar 21, 2009 at 9:53 AM Post #3,896 of 5,928
Quote:

"Of course, things like the innovation of this new transducer - the ring radiator – forms a perfect platform that we could explore with new and additional models below and above. However, we need to find out what the reaction of the market is to the HD 800."

I find this part of the interview with Prof Sennheiser interesting, too.

It might imply that we will see HD600 and HD650 successors
with ringtype transducers in 2010 (for the budget-minded
smile.gif
)
let's call them HD700 and HD750
wink.gif

and if the HD800 is economically very successful, we might even see a HD900
wink.gif

Mar 21, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #3,898 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by sean-xenos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find this part of the interview with Prof Sennheiser interesting, too.

It might imply that we will see HD600 and HD650 successors
with ringtype transducers in 2010 (for the budget-minded
smile.gif
)
let's call them HD700 and HD750
wink.gif

and if the HD800 is economically very successful, we might even see a HD900
wink.gif

Well I would take that literally as they said it:
If the HD 800 is a commercial success outside our little world we might see something with a higher HD number possibly adding other system elements.
There will be something below if its feasible to make in a more normal mass production manner - if that happens we might even see the first really high-end gaming product from Sennheiser Communications with their trade mark HQ microphones in a few years.
I'd be most into seeing if they can mod this into a closed model so we can get some competition to Denons high-end and such
beerchug.gif

Mar 21, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #3,899 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamerphile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I'd be most into seeing if they can mod this into a closed model so we can get some competition to Denons high-end and such
beerchug.gif

Yes! Also maybe a complete package of amp and phones designed together for the ultimate in synergy!! But at a common man affordability.

Mar 21, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #3,900 of 5,928
I think lower models make commercial sense as it is where the money lay. They could make a higher model, say Orpheus II, but not sure what that will serve as it won't be super profitable nor do they need releasing yet more technology advance so soon after hd800 (at least not until their competitors do something frighteningly good).

We did heard about a Senn. amp in this thread somewhere (good leak cheers!), so the amp probably worth checking out. However, even at their HQ, they are still using Lehmann amp to demo so probably have to wait a bit longer for it to appear. However, there are already a lot of competitors out there in the amp market so it will be interesting to see how it fairs. The good news is that shop that demo hd800 should have the Senn. amp too so one could just bring their own amp to see which is better.

The question is will the amp be a Sennheiser + Lehmann co-op amp? i.e. design by both Senn. & Lehmann and produced by Lehmann?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back