The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Mar 20, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #3,871 of 5,928
That review was from a long time ago right? I read that awhile back. I think it was in this thread or another one around here.

I am leery of "better than this" and "better than that" impressions. I was not a fan of the edition 9, but I wouldn't say something is better than it because I didn't gel with it. The edition 9 is smooth, tight, etc.

Sounds VERY similar to the K701 impressions and how they supposedly were better than the K-1000 and everything else.... until I bought them
confused_face(1).gif

BTW, being able to hear every single violin in a symphony is a bad thing. I doubt the HD800s suffer from that syndrome. The HD600/HD650 up to the HE-90s don't exhibit that kind of artificialness.

Mar 20, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #3,872 of 5,928
Quote:

BTW, being able to hear every single violin in a symphony is a bad thing. I doubt the HD800s suffer from that syndrome. Even the HD600 up to the HE-90s don't exhibit that kind of artificialness.

If the actual recording managed to capture every single violin in a symphony clearly, then the headphones should reproduce this as precisely as possible.

Mar 20, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #3,874 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by dharma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe someone wants dark version?

I like my headphones like I like my women, SILVER.
ph34r.gif

Mar 20, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #3,875 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by madmax7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like my headphones like I like my women, SILVER.
ph34r.gif

whoa...kinda kinky...I like it. So you paint them with silver body paint before the festivities or what...?
popcorn.gif

Mar 20, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #3,876 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the actual recording managed to capture every single violin in a symphony clearly, then the headphones should reproduce this as precisely as possible.

True, that's why I stated that I don't think the HD800 suffers from the problem that I've heard in some speakers where you don't hear the whole violin section like you would live but each violin which sounds very unnatural.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't been around long enough, but AKG (or somebody) must be paddling quite hard to suggest a $260 phone was better than a $1000 phone lol!

It was pretty crazy at least to these ears - not because of price but what I owning and comparing both. But I don't discredit anyone that feels that way either. I just don't agree.

Mar 20, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #3,878 of 5,928
The HD800 just popped up in a swiss online hifi shop (no, they don't have it ofc, nor they have an estimated availability time). But I think they got something wrong regarding the price...2999CHF (that would be 2650$)...
biggrin.gif

A german shop does list it for 939eur instead of the recommended price of 999eur (this is quite a more interesting price...about 1275$) and expects to have it for the 18 Apr. No idea if they can ship it outside Germany (I guess the swiss distributor wouldn't like this). I sent them an email, just to know...

Mar 20, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #3,881 of 5,928
I'd imagine many will be able to find these cheaper down the road. I don't buy all the price fixing mentioned by Sennheisser just like their "limited distribution" claim which turned out to seemingly be every distributor on the planet.

I'm set with my phones, but I think others may be better off waiting if they are able to suffer for a bit longer.

Mar 20, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #3,882 of 5,928
Yup, once stock become plentiful and demand is down then price will surely go down. The question is how much...10%, 20% or more? For UK, I can't see it go lower than £800 since GS1000i cost £900 on the street.

Mar 20, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #3,884 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by madmax7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep! Hey, Capt. Kirk used to hit green babes all the time! But I digress...

Was "hit" green women or "hit on" green woman. I think it was a little of both.

Actually, "Batgirl" ( Yvonne Craig) hit on him. Although she was green at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back