The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Apr 27, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #4,667 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by sling5s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,

"Mid-to-late May is what we're now hearing from Sennheiser corporate -- However, given their previous statements, i would not necesarily bet on it.

We do expect to have more hard Sennheiser HD-800 shipment data available by Can-Jam 2009 in Los Angeles!"

jorge

This is getting quite ridicolous tbh. Actually, the first german shop which listed them a pair of months ago reported about a June availability before removing them from the site.
Maybe it was just getting the right information instead of this recurring "add 2 weeks to previous timeline" joke.

Apr 27, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #4,668 of 5,928
I honestly wonder if Senn is making absolutely sure NOT to have them in individual hands prior to CanJam - where production units might be compared to pre-production?

Too many inconsistensies for a company that has been delivering countless pro and consumer products for 60 years, and units far more pricey than this.

Before I hear the inevitable 'excellence' angle, let me state that I am an ASQ CMQ/OE - yes, a dyed in the wool certified Quality manager (amongst other professional credentials), so I am last to advocate 'ship before ready'.

Question is: Why is the hd800 really NOT ready, or do the bleating sheep really think we have no right to know if the wool is being pulled over our eyes?

Apr 27, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #4,669 of 5,928
If you're that worried about a bait and switch, why not just cancel your pre-order, wait and see? And honestly, what's more likely: they had a production hold-up, or they're running a nefarious scheme to specifically dupe a paltry handful of early adopters of a niche product that will likely require years of sales to begin to recoup it's R&D investment?

Apr 27, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #4,670 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopstretch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're that worried about a bait and switch, why not just cancel your pre-order, wait and see? And honestly, what's more likely: they had a production hold-up, or they're running a nefarious scheme to specifically dupe a paltry handful of early adopters of a niche product that will likely require years of sales to begin to recoup it's R&D investment?

Good point.

And maybe Senn discovered something that simply hadto be corrected before committing to the public?

Isn't that possible?

I mean, all you folks who pre ordered will most likely be far better for the delay than you would have if you received a "not quite right" design ...

Give the designers at Senn headquarters some credit, yo!

At least they are not hasty to release something that they know very well is much desired by a pretty big chunk o' folk, just to make some more coin.

Maybe? Just maybe? Senn might want to get it right ... you know, "stick the dismount" (in gymnastic terms) or "be sure of the kick out" (in surf terms).

But look at me, would you?

Hell ... I'm a Grado fan boi ... now rep'ing for Sennheiser ... what would the bloggers think!??

wink.gif

I bet it's gonna be worth the wait, though ...

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #4,671 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by s1rrah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good point.

And maybe Senn discovered something that simply hadto be corrected before committing to the public?

Isn't that possible?

...and that's fine. But how about communicating that to the people who have placed the pre-orders since January.

Silence, in this case, is not golden...it's deafening.

Apr 28, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #4,672 of 5,928
Anyone who's worked in a professional environment who works on projects/programs/products can probably guess what happened here, same thing that always happens.

Top brass wants the product fast, puts incredible pressure on product team and production team. Big Boss invents an absurd, unachievable delivery date designed so he can get his bonus. Product people and engineers in the trenches say it can't be done in time, but this word never reaches Big Boss' ears. Product team manager, being terrified for his job as all middle managers always are, tells Big Boss "sure we'll hit the date", after all engineers and production people's job description is to tell you it can't be done in the schedule required or with the people/resources available.

Middle manager keeps insisting to Big Boss that project is on track and they will deliver on schedule. After all, his whole livelihood and future ability to rise up in company hangs in the balance. Announcements are made, publicity is generated, market breathlessly awaits.

Arbitary delivery date originally pulled out of the ass of Big Boss arrives. Oops, turns out the engineers and production folks were right, we can't hit the arbitarary date!

Lots of yelling and blame ensues. Project gets re-evaluated and new arbitarary/unachievable delivery dates are set. Rinse and repeat.

Ta da! That's the universal story how all products come to market (eventually).

Apr 28, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #4,673 of 5,928
Not so fast - the pre-production run of 200 units had already run - unless that was a lie. We've seen video of the production line humming happily along. Delivery dates are being whispered, along with tales of mounds of product being QC'd - some less than successfully.

It's a two way street - we've told Senn our support by putting down a card to commit to buy. All we ask is some status - which is ever less forthcoming, apparently.

How hard can it be to communicate, well, unless some legal process prohibits?

Apr 28, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #4,674 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone who's worked in a professional environment who works on projects/programs/products can probably guess what happened here, same thing that always happens.

Top brass wants the product fast, puts incredible pressure on product team and production team. Big Boss invents an absurd, unachievable delivery date designed so he can get his bonus. Product people and engineers in the trenches say it can't be done in time, but this word never reaches Big Boss' ears. Product team manager, being terrified for his job as all middle managers always are, tells Big Boss "sure we'll hit the date", after all engineers and production people's job description is to tell you it can't be done in the schedule required or with the people/resources available.

Middle manager keeps insisting to Big Boss that project is on track and they will deliver on schedule. After all, his whole livelihood and future ability to rise up in company hangs in the balance. Announcements are made, publicity is generated, market breathlessly awaits.

Arbitary delivery date originally pulled out of the ass of Big Boss arrives. Oops, turns out the engineers and production folks were right, we can't hit the arbitarary date!

Lots of yelling and blame ensues. Project gets re-evaluated and new arbitarary/unachievable delivery dates are set. Rinse and repeat.

Ta da! That's the universal story how all products come to market (eventually).

Yup. Regardless of industry, it always seems to go that way.

Apr 28, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #4,675 of 5,928
^

Also remember that 'delaying' builds hype and is now uses as a marketing tool as well.
See the video game industry. EA learnt the hard way with the Battlefield 2 fiasco in which due to relase date pressure released a game which was bugged and due to it's massive patching, EA's sharemarket price plummeted due to it. Other game companies learnt form EA's mistake and are now even using it as a marketing tool. That said, 4 years after it's release (A very long time in the video gaming world) , BF2 is still popular despite it's massive patching.

Apr 28, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #4,676 of 5,928
There could be countless mishaps all along the entire product distribution process, and it wouldn't be in Sennheiser's favor to admit their own bad executive decisions or whatever caused those mishaps in the first place. I also think that if it comes down to a choice between a defective product that has to be recalled (or simply a very problematic product launch), and a delayed but well-received product, the latter option will do far less damage to your reputation. So many there is a snag and they're simply trying to salvage the situation by delaying and keeping quiet.

Certainly not the best way to treat your customers, especially ones that paid a grand and a half, but maybe they're simply doing damage control.

Apr 28, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #4,677 of 5,928
Quote:

How hard can it be to communicate, well, unless some legal process prohibits?

Whatever it is, it's not the kind of thing you announce in a press release.

Dateline: Germany

Errr, we discovered a problem with sourcing one of our key parts. Our incompetent management apologizes.

Oops, one of our key suppliers has gone out business in the recession, we can't find a suitable alternative right now.

It's going to cost us twice as much to make the headband than our procurement department originally projected. Don't worry we fired their asses and found a cheaper supplier.

Oops it turns out that long-term there is a serious durability issue with one of the parts. We've had to do a re-design. So sorry.

The giant magnet used in our new phones has been shown to cause hallucinations in lab rats.

Big boss made an unralistic delievery date that could never have been met so he could get his bonus. He got his bonus anyway.

No matter what it is, it's not the kind of thing you share, as it will only hurt confidence in the product. Staying silent pisses off a few headphone freaks, going public with the project's dirty laundry is a much worse strategy, and is why you've never seen it done in the history of product marketing.

Apr 28, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #4,679 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whatever it is, it's not the kind of thing you announce in a press release.

Oh, I so agree, and, the alacantra cover story is simply too clever by half.

I'm staying the course - but, granting no quarter in being jerked back and forth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back