The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Apr 28, 2009 at 6:50 AM Post #4,681 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I honestly wonder if Senn is making absolutely sure NOT to have them in individual hands prior to CanJam - where production units might be compared to pre-production?

I would think this would do more harm than good. If they really are having issues with some components in the headphone and they have to be changed, sound quality might also change for better or for worse. Allowing people to listen to a product at CanJam that isn't representative of the final product would be a very bad thing. People would eventually get their headphones and some could say, "Hey, my pair sound quite different than what I heard at CanJam, and the slight response difference unique to each pair of drivers does not account for the major difference in sonics. These are not what I thought I was purchasing and I want a refund."

Another reason this could hurt them is that many people, including myself are preordering these headphones sight unseen (and unheard). If they wait to release before CanJam, many people could end up listening to them and not liking them. Although I don't think this would make up the majority, it could account for a significant decrease in preorders as well as negative reviews.

Quote:

Too many inconsistensies for a company that has been delivering countless pro and consumer products for 60 years, and units far more pricey than this.

Question is: Why is the hd800 really NOT ready, or do the bleating sheep really think we have no right to know if the wool is being pulled over our eyes?

I absolutely agree. They are one of the top headphone manufacturers in the world and whatever the reason for the delay, they owe us a response. $1400 is a hell of a commitment (at least for me) and I'm entitled to know why my preordered product is being held up. Are there more important issues in the world to be more concerned with? Of course, but we are members of a headphone community where we discuss our headphone purchases, and this makes it a very relevant issue here.

What will end up happening is many people will cancel their preorders and choose from various other high-end headphones in the marketplace, i.e. ED9, PS1000, D7000. I am still going to hold out for the HD800 but for how long I am unsure. A release held until after CanJam could be a good thing for us and a bad thing for them. I still have faith that this will be the ultimate dynamic headphone and can only hope that Sennheiser soon proves it is as good at communicating with its customers as it is at making headphones.

Apr 28, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #4,682 of 5,928
I've got money to burn for the HD800 as of now, but while waiting, I have started looking at high-end Martin guitars. Very, VERY bad idea, HELP!!
icon10.gif

Apr 28, 2009 at 9:22 AM Post #4,683 of 5,928
It's like with end of any movie - it can be finished in countless ways.
So, there are many things what can happen, like:

Production units are not fully similar (they need to be , because Sennheiser HD 800 seems made for PROs and for absolute reference - so they must be fully similar as much possible)

or

they just want to start selling quickly as many units as possible, because it can be, that if they start with, let say, only 100 units and those somehow don't get 'good' reviews, then many people just don't buy it or void their preorders...

or

I don't see any need to worry, i'll buy it anyway .

Apr 28, 2009 at 9:52 AM Post #4,684 of 5,928
I know one thing, the 1400.00 commitment won't be a commitment for very long if the mass produced product is not as good as the preproduction samples that have been reviewed at length within these forum's walls. It would serve Sennheiser well to produce a very well received product or the returns will be like a tidal wave and so we wait. If this headphone disappoints the masses and their is a collective bursting of the bubble, it would be some backlash. Thank goodness for 30 day return policies. I feel quite confident that Sennheiser will not disappoint, though.

Apr 28, 2009 at 10:16 AM Post #4,685 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got money to burn for the HD800 as of now, but while waiting, I have started looking at high-end Martin guitars. Very, VERY bad idea, HELP!!
icon10.gif

thats going to be a problem......

Apr 28, 2009 at 10:35 AM Post #4,686 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would think this would do more harm than good. If they really are having issues with some components in the headphone and they have to be changed, sound quality might also change for better or for worse. Allowing people to listen to a product at CanJam that isn't representative of the final product would be a very bad thing. People would eventually get their headphones and some could say, "Hey, my pair sound quite different than what I heard at CanJam, and the slight response difference unique to each pair of drivers does not account for the major difference in sonics. These are not what I thought I was purchasing and I want a refund."

Another reason this could hurt them is that many people, including myself are preordering these headphones sight unseen (and unheard). If they wait to release before CanJam, many people could end up listening to them and not liking them. Although I don't think this would make up the majority, it could account for a significant decrease in preorders as well as negative reviews.

I absolutely agree. They are one of the top headphone manufacturers in the world and whatever the reason for the delay, they owe us a response. $1400 is a hell of a commitment (at least for me) and I'm entitled to know why my preordered product is being held up. Are there more important issues in the world to be more concerned with? Of course, but we are members of a headphone community where we discuss our headphone purchases, and this makes it a very relevant issue here.

What will end up happening is many people will cancel their preorders and choose from various other high-end headphones in the marketplace, i.e. ED9, PS1000, D7000. I am still going to hold out for the HD800 but for how long I am unsure. A release held until after CanJam could be a good thing for us and a bad thing for them. I still have faith that this will be the ultimate dynamic headphone and can only hope that Sennheiser soon proves it is as good at communicating with its customers as it is at making headphones.

You should hold out for as long as it takes....choosing another option just because you can't get what you really want "right now" is:

1. Never going to satisfy you fully
2. Is a great example of how technology has made us impatient, lazy and demanding.

No one is even asking anybody to do anything but wait...thats all. It's not like you need these things for work...or to live life in general. There are too many people on here that sound like they have never waited for anything for more than the time it takes to "overnight" it.
I don't care if you preordered in 2007....it is what it is, and no one on here is going to change that.

I have these on preorder....and they will remain on preorder until they arrive at my door... may... june... july.... august... sept... oct... nov... dec.... I don't care, it makes no difference.

The bottom line is....one day these god forsaken headphones will show up on everyones door step, and you will either love, like or hate them. Thats the end result and why this community (at least most) continue to complain about "when are they going to ship" "why aren't they telling us anything" "why no alcantra" "whats wrong with them"....hey who friggin cares. As long as Sennheiser gets it right when they are released, which by the way will be when Sennheiser is good and ready to do so, I think thats the only thing they "owe" us.....

Apr 28, 2009 at 10:58 AM Post #4,687 of 5,928
They've probably found durability issues with the earpads or somesuch after people have been playing with the pre-production units and are working to fix it before final release.

For me, it just means I've invested in Stax in the mean time, something that is seriously threatening the HD-800s staying with me for very long after they arrive.

Apr 28, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #4,688 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
icon10.gif

Nah... just stay away from pre-War ($30k+) and herringbone ($20k+), and you'll be fine. Martins hold their value, and often appreciate. Of course, I have had a few guitars, but nothing made after 1970, except a few Alembics.

To those who think we should just wait in silence, after showing our support of this product, when asked of it by Sennheiser, is just a matter of personal preference. To think that the vendor owes us nothing more than a product, at some time of their chosing, with no communication whatsoever in the interim, does not seem to me a very good long term customer retention policy, even for us fan bois.

I had hoped for better out of Sennheiser - shame on me.

Apr 28, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #4,691 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by vai-777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should hold out for as long as it takes....choosing another option just because you can't get what you really want "right now" is:

1. Never going to satisfy you fully
2. Is a great example of how technology has made us impatient, lazy and demanding.

No one is even asking anybody to do anything but wait...thats all. It's not like you need these things for work...or to live life in general. There are too many people on here that sound like they have never waited for anything for more than the time it takes to "overnight" it.
I don't care if you preordered in 2007....it is what it is, and no one on here is going to change that.

I have these on preorder....and they will remain on preorder until they arrive at my door... may... june... july.... august... sept... oct... nov... dec.... I don't care, it makes no difference.

The bottom line is....one day these god forsaken headphones will show up on everyones door step, and you will either love, like or hate them. Thats the end result and why this community (at least most) continue to complain about "when are they going to ship" "why aren't they telling us anything" "why no alcantra" "whats wrong with them"....hey who friggin cares. As long as Sennheiser gets it right when they are released, which by the way will be when Sennheiser is good and ready to do so, I think thats the only thing they "owe" us.....

Interesting way to look at it, not shared by me, though. It's not about getting something now because you want it or satisfying a deep rooted materialistic need. It's about setting customer expectations with a rather robust marketing campaign in Dec/Jan and then failing to meet these expectations. Furthermore, to help me better understand your position though: So when you go and schedule a service say, for example your car, or purchase a piece of furniture and have it delivered, or have a commitment to meet someone somewhere at a specific time such as a social date, the promises you make mean nothing? Horrible ethics and I doubt Sennheiser's company ethic policy towards marketing commitments and achieving them are viewed this way and if they did they would not have been in business for 60 years...
...second thought...maybe they've been in business because they're products are pretty darn good...
...but...I'll wait too...heck, what else can I do.

Apr 28, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #4,692 of 5,928
I'm quite patient to wait.
Sennheiser is a relatively small family owned and operated business. My experience in Germany was that customer service wasn't even close to what we have come to expect in the USA. It's just not on their radar. Competition is primitive in Europe compared to the USA.
This doesn't mean I don't like other things about being in Europe. I particularly found the Dutch to be completely friendly, charming and helpful.

Apr 29, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #4,693 of 5,928
[size=small]Thanks from the Netherlands[/size]

Apr 29, 2009 at 11:24 AM Post #4,695 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just visited the thread to see more impressions and found out its not even out yet? What They better be really good after all this anticipation

Sennheiser Germany confirmed the mid to end May timeline, at least for the german release. Bit I wouldn't be suprised to see a "early to mid June" in a pair of weeks, looking at the trend. They'll come out one day, I hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back