The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Apr 21, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #4,561 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't say $200 - it could well be $300 - it depends on what the dealer wants to sell it for.

I can see the UK selling price being about £240 including VAT.

But please don't confuse the HD 800 cable with normal stock cables - it's very much better than that.

Still silver coated copper cable right?
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #4,562 of 5,928
Quote:

But please don't confuse the HD 800 cable with normal stock cables - it's very much better than that.

Apparently...

Apr 21, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #4,563 of 5,928
Quote:

To me, stock cable = cable that sold along with the headphones
wink.gif

Apr 21, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #4,565 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, enough of the silly rumours and arguing already. Go read the impressions from the Detroit meet and Jude and Germania arguing over whether it's better than the R10 or not (Epic stuff! Well, ok, maybe not). Link in sig.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have to agree. I get tired of the it's better or worse than. NOTHING is better than the R10! Nothing is better than the HE-90, or OII or many of the other top teir cans. It's going to come down to preference.

BTW, the Detroit meet shows that it's about taste, some really like it (best dynamic to their ears) others prefer the top cans. Ray Samuals who has always thought the HD600 is the best headphone ever made proves that point.

I think the language should be how does it compare sound wise - then we can make decisions based on our taste, and that Detroit meet discussion explains the differences in a useful way.

Apr 21, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #4,566 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me, stock cable = cable that sold along with the headphones
wink.gif

I didn't say it wasn't a stock cable, I said it wasn't a *normal* stock cable.
wink.gif

Apr 21, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #4,567 of 5,928
Given that a 'stock' hd600 cable is criminally negligent, this is a good thing.

Apr 21, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #4,568 of 5,928
While I think it's not a bad thing to keep seeing comparison with headphones like the R10, the HE60 or the HE90, I'd be way more interested to read comparisons with what it's in fact available on the market, being it the K702, the GS1000 or most of all the PS1000. I don't really care if the HE90 sounds better if that is out of production and pretty much impossible to find. The same goes for the R10. These can be interesting comparisons for those fews who got one of such legends or heard one, but it is of no practical use for most. Is the R10 better? Ok, but who cares if I can't buy it?

Apr 21, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #4,569 of 5,928
Yes, invaluable to us fortunate enough to have heard them - by taking the initiative of going to meets, visiting friends, and having actually purchased them.

Just as likely the reviewers have never heard what is perceived to be more 'common', but, they did review what was on hand - and no need to apologize for what they happened to have.

The inevitable lesser comparisons will start coming in 3 weeks, if we believe what is purported to be the current status.

Apr 21, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #4,570 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apparently...

It is silver colored coated OFC but what the coating is made of the guys that I did split my cable with wasn't sure about. How ever it was surely to keep the cobber in mint condition regarding the OF part acording to one of my most trusted experts in the industry. What ever they tell us it is I say
wink_face.gif

Apr 23, 2009 at 10:06 AM Post #4,571 of 5,928
I think there's a positive side of this waiting period. Some of the hypes are not as hot as it used to be, people are starting to cool down and think more properly.

Some of the people who had listened to them at Detroit minimeet held by Jude even canceled their order. I believe that HD800 is a great headphones and it will, without a doubt, amaze a lot of people. But at least with the waiting period, a few of us are able to re-think the impulsive decision to order this baby just for the sake "it's the most in headphone right now!"

This thread itself has been very entertaining and at the end, we're still waiting this product to come out and the impressions that would follow.

OOT, I think it would be a great concept to make a headphone with a huge freq range and could be tuned by the user anyway he liked, then he/she could adjust the headphones to his preferred settings that suit his/her ear.
biggrin.gif

Apr 23, 2009 at 12:05 PM Post #4,572 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by emti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OOT, I think it would be a great concept to make a headphone with a huge freq range and could be tuned by the user anyway he liked, then he/she could adjust the headphones to his preferred settings that suit his/her ear.
biggrin.gif

For that you need computer science, especially DSP and then a lot audio know how and headphone research... set to near boiling point and wait a few years.
I'll might have something long term as its a real interest for research of mine however I'm mostly aiming at spatial stuff so how knows.

Apr 23, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #4,573 of 5,928
This IS the most popular thread on HD800 on the internet i noticed...various sites, even Sennheiser people have added this in their twitter feeds, articles, blogs etc.

amazing.

for Asia people ...u can follow updates here also : http://twitter.com/sennheiserasia

hopefully, i am gonna attend the launch event in singapore in May '09

Apr 23, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #4,575 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The inevitable lesser comparisons will start coming in 3 weeks, if we believe what is purported to be the current status.

and the REAL impressions will come after people have owned them for a long period of time. When people get a new phone, they tend to immediately like (or dislike in some cases) them - and after time when they settle in, they might find them boring or might appreciate them more. The newness factor will still be going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back