The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Apr 20, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #4,532 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But if you enjoy spoofing this as a far out notion that cannot possibly be true, then go right ahead. Be my guest. It would be irresponsible of me to suggest that I might have heard something along these lines from a credible source indicating that this could be a real possibility in the case at hand, because that would then require that I name such a source, who may well have asked to remain anonymous. I mean, hypothetically, if that were the case.

In all seriousness, I've had a food label logo temporarily challenged (and thus items delayed) by a certain printer/copier company (so obviously we were in the same business space
confused_face_2.gif
) simply because two items formed an "X," so believe me, I'm with you that anything is possible. But without evidence, even indirectly, it does sound grasping, no? I mean there are a ton of possibilities, the vast majority not visual, if we're talking about third party lawsuits causing the delay, no? Hell, more possibilities even is Sony specifically is the cause. And third-parties are only a small subset of the possible reasons for delay. I'm not even sure what a "real possibility" means in this sense. A "real possibility" someone saw a visual similarity and thus may have sent a letter to Senn or filed a suite? Sure. Course like Radio Shack suing to stop TheShack.com (eventually buying), 1-800-FLOWERS is a possibility too. Crazier things of happened. Course 1-800-FLOWERS the not the reason.
wink.gif

I do have to say if you felt the pull to "name names" if you stated you heard something, I'm a little surprised you didn't feel pulled to say you heard something when you brought up the theory in the first place. Then again you kinda did. I think. So ... who told you?
L3000.gif

Pretty please. Just the first letter of his/her username? Just the first letter?

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #4,533 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which guess what? Is my (and I suspect many others) opinion. And you're asking Sennheiser to change. Why deny you're asking others to adjust to your opinion?

Because I'm not asking others to adjust to my opinion. I am merely stating my opinion.
Also, I am not asking Sennheiser to change (heck I couldn't even get my ex-wife to change, and I knew where her buttons were), I'm simply stating that their communication policies stink.

... bringing in others whom you "suspect" would agree with your opinion. That's purely hearsay and conjecture at this point in time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
does your right to an opinion have anything to do with us agreeing or not with it? We respect your right to an opinion. Doesn't mean we have to respect your opinion.

Never asked you to. Did I? Perhaps you see a poll that I'm not aware of.

We, we, we. All of this talk about "we" makes me have to pee.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
but you're ranting in public and you're surprised someone might respond?

Who said I was surprised? Did I say that I was surprised? Where the heck does this come from? Something else that I've done that you're not happy with, perhaps?

At least 1-800-Flowers renegotiates ETA's when they're late!
tongue.gif

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #4,535 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will it now be renamed HD800i?

It's funny that you say that because I was thinking this morning: what if they start releasing the "HD800c" as a full production run and not a limited run? It will probably be cheaper because it will be made in China.

Apr 21, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #4,536 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In all seriousness, I've had a food label logo temporarily challenged (and thus items delayed) by a certain printer/copier company (so obviously we were in the same business space
confused_face_2.gif
) simply because two items formed an "X," so believe me, I'm with you that anything is possible. But without evidence, even indirectly, it does sound grasping, no? I mean there are a ton of possibilities, the vast majority not visual, if we're talking about third party lawsuits causing the delay, no? Hell, more possibilities even is Sony specifically is the cause. And third-parties are only a small subset of the possible reasons for delay. I'm not even sure what a "real possibility" means in this sense. A "real possibility" someone saw a visual similarity and thus may have sent a letter to Senn or filed a suite? Sure. Course like Radio Shack suing to stop TheShack.com (eventually buying), 1-800-FLOWERS is a possibility too. Crazier things of happened. Course 1-800-FLOWERS the not the reason.
wink.gif

I do have to say if you felt the pull to "name names" if you stated you heard something, I'm a little surprised you didn't feel pulled to say you heard something when you brought up the theory in the first place. Then again you kinda did. I think. So ... who told you?
L3000.gif

Pretty please. Just the first letter of his/her username? Just the first letter?

I probably shouldn't have brought it up in the first place because it's just rumor and speculation. I'm sure it's nothing of substance, but this thread needed a little gas to keep the flames going, so I figured what the heck! In any case, I guess we'll just have to wait. It would be a shame if they're not ready for CanJam, for whatever reasons.

Apr 21, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #4,537 of 5,928
About 4000 posts ago, I think I asked, "Are these the Senn versions of my beloved Qualia's (who are no longer with me)?" I sure hope so for $1400 bucks.

Man, jesus, can everyone please calm down....Aaron's right about the communication issue but frankly I think Sennheiser should concentrate on making a flawless RELEASE than worrying about the PRE-RELEASE.

There is no crying on HeadFi (Jude I motion this to be a new rule!).

Apr 21, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #4,538 of 5,928
am I the only one that's starting to wonder why subsequent headfiers that have gotten to audition the HD800's end up coming away generally underwhelmed?

Apr 21, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #4,539 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
am I the only one that's starting to wonder why subsequent headfiers that have gotten to audition the HD800's end up coming away generally underwhelmed?

I'm assuming that these are not going to be everyone's cup of tea. I am also assuming that they will require a very good amp. elrod-tom's review of the Wadia/Luxman/HD800 is pretty compelling. The other, less enthusiastic observations are hard to go by because they are less rigorous in their descriptions.

So far, the ears I've learned to trust are pretty consistent.

Apr 21, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #4,540 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm assuming that these are not going to be everyone's cup of tea. I am also assuming that they will require a very good amp. elrod-tom's review of the Wadia/Luxman/HD800 is pretty compelling. The other, less enthusiastic observations are hard to go by because they are less rigorous in their descriptions.

So far, the ears I've learned to trust are pretty consistent.

what concerns me is that the impressions out of the detroit mini meets in which the listeners got to hear the HD800's out of high end sources/amplification are very inconsistent

Apr 21, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #4,541 of 5,928
Interesting observation but as a corollary, I am yet to come upon a headphone which is consistenly rated by every person who listens to it on all shapes and forms of gear (be it low end or esoteric in nature). You will find many a detractor for the likes of the D7000, GS1000 (and PS1000), R10, Qualia 010, HE60/HE90, K1000, SR-007/SR-Omega, etc.

Apr 21, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #4,542 of 5,928
One of the major selling points for me was how comfortable and non-sweaty the Alcantara ear pads felt. One of my major complaints with the HD650/600/580 and just about every leather ear pad, is that they don't breathe well, and get hot and sweaty in warmer weather.

One of the things I really liked about the Alcantara ear pads was how comfortable they were even in the sweltering "hot box" aquarium at the Sennheiser booth at CES.

Now if there is no difference in the feel, and performance, then fine. If not, I don't really need another pair of high end headphones I can't enjoy in the hot summer time.

-Ed

Apr 21, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #4,543 of 5,928
Question: Do you think the reason that Sennheiser keeps putting off the release date for the HD800 is perhaps, because of the economy, they might be dumbing down certain components of the HD800 so they can still make a profit?

Hey, you never know...

Apr 21, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #4,544 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what concerns me is that the impressions out of the detroit mini meets in which the listeners got to hear the HD800's out of high end sources/amplification are very inconsistent

Understood. But, to me, the in-depth reviews tend to be more reliable at this point; whereas, the one-off "not quite what I expected," though perfectly valid, are not quite as convincing due to lack of context. I also don't know if I agree about how many of the amps/sources there were truly badass. At least in the thread I was reading, of the amps I have heard, the Luxman and the B22 are my favorites. I have mixed feelings about the others, including the sources.

Apr 21, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #4,545 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question: Do you think the reason that Sennheiser keeps putting off the release date for the HD800 is perhaps, because of the economy, they might be dumbing down certain components of the HD800 so they can still make a profit?

Hey, you never know...

They could always not paint them and save costs on that one and make it a little more likely that you would buy them, if you were even interested in the first place.

They could always just reuse the old HD650 drivers and make a nice shiny aluminum enclosure for them.

Hey, you never know...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back