The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Apr 20, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #4,516 of 5,928
Welcome to head-fi. Usually people add "sorry for your wallet" but in your case, it looks like you wallet has already been hit.
atsmile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omriff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a long-term headphone user, but also as one who is totally new to contributing to this thread (or any thread, for that matter), I wonder if I can add something to the debate.

I have a range of good headphone systems. They all depend on synergy, since, in my experience, one hears a sound which results from a combination of factors. So, for example, my Stax OmegaII sounded a little dull and uninspiring until I found the right combination of DAC and turntable inputs, with the right interconnects and - critically - mains lead, to work with my Stax 007tii (Kimik-modified) energiser. Similarly, my ALO-modified Ultrasone Edition 9s, with 18AWG Cryo cable (JenaLabs), did not sound right until I had a good, tight, but natural sounding input for them. The latter includes a Benchmark DAC 1, feeding signals into and out of it through quite high quality Nordost cables, into a Lehmann Black Cube Linear.

I have also recently bought the Denon AH-D7000s, I have the Grado GS1000 with 18AWG JenaLab cable (put on by Grado) and Grado RS1s. I have also had Sennheiser HD600s and 650s for a number of years. And I have K701s with Equinox cable.

With all of these headphones, I have found that it is essential to have the right balance of source, amplification, interconnects and mains cables for the headphones to work well. And I have the range of equipment that I do because recordings vary so much. One recording will sound good on one system, and not on another. The K701s, for example, work best through a valve headphone amplifier (such as the Earmax Silver), and in some cases are just as involving as almost any other headphone, and not too harsh. On other occasions, they work rather less well than other headphones with the same recording.

So, what I suspect is that the HD800s will sound worse in some set-ups with some recordings than other headphones, but very good in other set-ups.

What I have found, however, is that electrostatics (and I have also the SR-404 with a 006t energiser, also modified by Kimik) often sound quite different from dynamic headphones. I have, however, not heard the Orpheus. But I am willing to bet that its sound will depend on the source equipment and software. It will, nevertheless, be very interesting to hear how the two compared, Jude.

Apr 20, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #4,517 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread keeps getting more and more ridiculous. Not sure why I am reading, but just to keep things straight - so now we're guessing Sony is suing Sennheiser and thus the cause for the delay?

Let me take an alternative stab - could 1-800-FLOWERS be suing over the HD800 name and preventing release?

Often times there are potential legal issues, however unlikely they may seem to the casual observer, that nonetheless need to be satisfactorily clarified and resolved (which is part of making the released product "200% perfect") before the product can be signed off for final release. It doesn't necessarily have to be an issue that involves any litigation (as such) or even threatened litigation, nor does it have to be something that goes to the entirely of the product. It could be a somewhat minor aspect of the product design that could potentially be challenged in some way as an infringement. It could be a manufacturer's counsel that decides to look into that possibility on their own accord just to ensure that their documentation is bullet proof in the event that they were ever challenged.

But if you enjoy spoofing this as a far out notion that cannot possibly be true, then go right ahead. Be my guest. It would be irresponsible of me to suggest that I might have heard something along these lines from a credible source indicating that this could be a real possibility in the case at hand, because that would then require that I name such a source, who may well have asked to remain anonymous. I mean, hypothetically, if that were the case.

Apr 20, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #4,518 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Patience.....
Whats(sic) another month or 2. If these cans are all their(sic) cracked up to be then I'd wait until....well......let's just say a long time. It would be nice if eveyone (sic) could just chill...take a step back and let Senn. do what they need to."

Whatever you say, Dad!

Glad you see it my way.....
biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #4,519 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why go on the attack against someone who has been a long timer lurker and now a first time poster, especially when considering that he has many top end headphone systems and may well have some interesting observations to offer in the future?

I think a better response would be to say, "Welcome to Head-Fi and, well, I guess your wallet has already suffered, so there is no sense in picking apart your first post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the matter..."
beerchug.gif

Thanks. It has. And when I next say something, I'll try not to be too banal.

Apr 20, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #4,520 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The change is from one micro-fibre fabric to another - I don't think you will notice any difference at all.

You actually thought it was a serious post?

Apr 20, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #4,522 of 5,928
what now you want to test people?, see if they can make out your obscure sarcasm - because there are people that pedantic on these very boards, so you cant blame john there - best to make it clear if you dont want confusion and wasting peoples time addressing your point.

Apr 20, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #4,523 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what now you want to test people?, see if they can make out your obscure sarcasm - because there are people that pedantic on these very boards, so you cant blame john there - best to make it clear if you dont want confusion and wasting peoples time addressing your point.

I didn't blame John, I was just totally surprised that he (or anybody) could take my post seriously.
You are being pedantic.
I wouldn't dare waste anybody's time in this thread, the matter on hand is far too serious.

Apr 20, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #4,526 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't HeadFi just wonderful?
Real life just doesn't cut it compared to this.
smile_phones.gif

Who needs real-life drama when you've got angry, pedantic headphone nerds?
biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #4,527 of 5,928
Well, I must say recent rants and whines are a bit over the top..
I mean, all of the incidents can happen to any companies. And considering the size of corporation, Sennheiser is doing quite well IMO.

I mean, look at the other/bigger corporations.... Other than Bose they react very slowly.

Apr 20, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #4,529 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can see the future....there will be a myth that the HD800's with the Alcantara sound better than the production model...hehehe

No you didn't!!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back