The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Apr 24, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #4,591 of 5,928
Well, the alcantra debacle has been cleared up (legitimacy doubts aside), and units are (allegedly) rolling off the line, HR has (allegedly) been invoiced for the first xx units (mine = #9), and...

We still do not have a delivery date?
frown.gif

Apr 24, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #4,592 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the alcantra debacle has been cleared up (legitimacy doubts aside), and units are (allegedly) rolling off the line, HR has (allegedly) been invoiced for the first xx units (mine = #9), and...
frown.gif

seriously on a business idea, if you get the #9 HD800, you should offer it immediately on EBAY, it may fetch north of $2000 and who knows, in half a year, you could get 2 HD800.

regular_smile .gif

Apr 24, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #4,593 of 5,928
So pabbi1, you are not upset about the Alcantara thing? I have mixed emotions about it. I mean, I pre-ordered them thinking they would have this uber comfortable Alcantara pads, then they switch it up after the fact for whatever reason. Maybe it won't make a difference, but to me if I go pre-order a new car and ask for leather seats, and they deliver with pleather or a synthetic material and say "oh this is just as good" I'm not sure I would be happy. **shrug**

Apr 24, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #4,594 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulchiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
seriously on a business idea, if you get the #9 HD800, you should offer it immediately on EBAY, it may fetch north of $2000 and who knows, in half a year, you could get 2 HD800.

He won't get the #9.

Serial numbers will start with 201.

Number 1 is for professor Sennheiser himself and the others up to number 200 are reserved specials and will be manufactured later.

Apr 24, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #4,595 of 5,928
Not one bit - never pay attention to things like which microfiber / plastic is being used in a product, mainly from being around design engineers almost all my working life. Tradeoffs are made all the time.

The real question is do I believe the Alcantra story at all... which I don't, but since the real story won't be known, don't care either.

I really only care that they ship, my cc gets charged, I get the miles posted, and I can book a flight - sitting on 24.9k miles.... grrrr.

How is that for shallow?

Apr 24, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #4,596 of 5,928
Quote:

frown.gif

I just inquired James S Serdechny of StefanAudio about this, as I have a pending order there. Ok, he doesn't work for Sennheiser anymore but he's supposed to still have some contact with it. The reply he just gave me isn't that encouraging and I just hope it's going to prove wrong: late May.
Won't be a problem for me as I'll be away for pretty much the whole month, thus I couldn't use my headphones even if I had them...still, not a nice news.

Apr 24, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #4,599 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fafner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just inquired James S Serdechny of StefanAudio about this, as I have a pending order there. Ok, he doesn't work for Sennheiser anymore but he's supposed to still have some contact with it. The reply he just gave me isn't that encouraging and I just hope it's going to prove wrong: late May.
Won't be a problem for me as I'll be away for pretty much the whole month, thus I couldn't use my headphones even if I had them...still, not a nice news.

Late May, hmm...sounds right...so tell us, what did you order from SAA, was it the hd800 equinox?
Stefan AudioArt Home

or

The Voice?
http://stefanaudioart.com/Voice%20HD...e%20Ended.html

Never mind, WoW(2800.00USD) investment, after I peaked at your signature, I see you're waiting for the Voice!
You have to let us know how that pairs with the HD800, in....say...July, maybe.

Apr 24, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #4,601 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Weren't those Equinox cables $1400 (ie. same price as the HD800) a month ago?

The "Voice" is the $1,400.00 cable.

Apr 24, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #4,602 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Weren't those Equinox cables $1400 (ie. same price as the HD800) a month ago?

The equinox is the cheap? one(549.00)
The equinox Voice is the 1400.00 bad boy and, according to his signature,
he got The Equinox Voice and is waiting for that and the HD800.

Apr 24, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #4,603 of 5,928
Wouldn't be easier to just buy the extra extra 900 miles? (Just trying to be a troublemaker.
biggrin.gif
)

Quote:

Not one bit - never pay attention to things like which microfiber / plastic is being used in a product, mainly from being around design engineers almost all my working life. Tradeoffs are made all the time.

The real question is do I believe the Alcantra story at all... which I don't, but since the real story won't be known, don't care either.

I really only care that they ship, my cc gets charged, I get the miles posted, and I can book a flight - sitting on 24.9k miles.... grrrr.

How is that for shallow?

Apr 24, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #4,604 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumonron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The equinox is the cheap? one(549.00)
The equinox Voice is the 1400.00 bad boy and, according to his signature,
he got The Equinox Voice and is waiting for that and the HD800.

Yeah, I ordered the Voice cable, but it won't be shipped till this damn HD800 finally sees the light. Not that I'd have an use for it without the headphone.
biggrin.gif
Obviously, I ordered the HD800 from a swiss shop so cable and headphone won't come together.
Got quite a few upgrades recently, the last one having been the 12au7 tubes I have in my sig. After the HD800 and its cable will enter my setup I'll stop for a while.
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #4,605 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wouldn't be easier to just buy the extra extra 900 miles? (Just trying to be a troublemaker.
biggrin.gif
)

It's actually ~179 miles, but it's principle... since I'm not really that shallow. Just waffling on CanJam, or not, and how to ship all the gear if I fly. Maybe the Texas contingent should make it a rolling party - except we'd never make it past El Paso. But, given enough power, we'd have quite a bit of written impressions by the time we got there - especially debating road vibration effects on the sound...

Go big, or go home. but, yes, buying the miles is the easy path.

So, What is the problem now, if _late_ May is accurate?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back