The PENON official thread
Dec 31, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #1,561 of 13,823
Last edited:
Dec 31, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #1,562 of 13,823
Me too. And I enjoy many of my inexpensive IEMs along with my costlier ones. The less expensive IEMs do not, however, make the more expensive ones any less valuable to me or less enjoyable, o/w why be here at all. Just enjoy the ear buds that came with your phone and call it a day. After all, some music is better than no music.

You clearly have an appreciation for nicer sound equipment, o/w why would you have spent thousands on your current collection.
Of course I appreciate higher SQ. Who doesn't. But also try to not obsess about it.

Dec 31, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #1,563 of 13,823
Music can be a gateway to a higher sort of consciousness and taking a certain obsessive approach about nuances and sound is not the way I want to listen to my music.

Dec 31, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #1,564 of 13,823
I did actually A/B the Volt between the stock cable and the OSG, and actually preferred the stock. It sounded a little less bright (flatter) with the OSG. I don't think this is expectation bias because my expectations were that I would prefer the OSG.

I don't know why I can't get on board with the Volt. I probably need to spend a couple of weeks with it alone and maybe I'll come to appreciate it. This won't happen soon, however because I just got a Legend X in the house and I need to spend time with my new toy (my precious).
I'd suggest giving then some time. They do need a little 'break-in' time in my opinion.

Jan 1, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #1,567 of 13,823
This usage scenario seems excessive, ie balanced/high gain. Can you elaborate?

quoting @davidmolliere 's review here:

"Volt needs power or rather good current to shine. It’s deceptive because at 12ohm it’s easy to drive loud enough, you could be fooled to think to stay in low gain with relatively conservative volume levels. But as I experimented I quickly found out it sounded best between medium and sometimes high gain. The laid back nature that is a recurrent theme of most Volt impressions and reviews is to be taken with a grain of salt. The Volt needs, as we’ll see, more juice to reveal what it has to offer."

I find on my N3pro single ended Tube UL out, Volt definitely sounds more dynamic and overall more engaging on high gain. Volume matched on low gain, it looses this liveliness.
On 4.4mm balanced out, I switch between Medium and High gain. It feels like almost different IEM with proper current fed into it. Everything becomes more controlled and fleshed out.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #1,568 of 13,823
I compared again ISN AG8 to Penon OSG on volt and I still prefer OSG that elevate everything on Volt and doesn’t change sound tuning.
Great sinergy, maybe I’ll go with Totem ASAP..

Jan 1, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #1,569 of 13,823
quoting @davidmolliere 's review here:

"Volt needs power or rather good current to shine. It’s deceptive because at 12ohm it’s easy to drive loud enough, you could be fooled to think to stay in low gain with relatively conservative volume levels. But as I experimented I quickly found out it sounded best between medium and sometimes high gain. The laid back nature that is a recurrent theme of most Volt impressions and reviews is to be taken with a grain of salt. The Volt needs, as we’ll see, more juice to reveal what it has to offer."

I find on my N3pro single ended Tube UL out, Volt definitely sounds more dynamic and overall more engaging on high gain. Volume matched on low gain, it looses this liveliness.
On 4.4mm balanced out, I switch between Medium and High gain. It feels like almost different IEM with proper current fed into it. Everything becomes more controlled and fleshed out.
I’d hate to lose N3pro tube modes by going balanced. I’ll try hi gain single ended. Been listening med gain. When I’ve tested hi/3.5 I struggle to distinguish difference other than volume. Plus hi gain is a battery drain which N3pro could use less of as battery is mediocre. The nuances can become seemingly so subtle, between gain, that I lose trust in my ears, which aren’t terribly trustworthy to begin with

Jan 2, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #1,570 of 13,823
I’d hate to lose N3pro tube modes by going balanced. I’ll try hi gain single ended. Been listening med gain. When I’ve tested hi/3.5 I struggle to distinguish difference other than volume. Plus hi gain is a battery drain which N3pro could use less of as battery is mediocre. The nuances can become seemingly so subtle, between gain, that I lose trust in my ears, which aren’t terribly trustworthy to begin with
Tube power behaves rather differently @morndewey. My amp9 seems a weak 200mw. But my Orbs (also need power to SING), gain: Low, tube amp power: Low, even @ these settings, and volume maxed out @ 100 (80s - 90s albums that don't believe in loudness) they DO Sing...

Jan 4, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #1,571 of 13,823
I have the Orb , and love everything about it except for below average technicalities (for me) , I want something more resolving, with more clarity and separation between notes. Do you think the Volt is the obvious choice. Or is there anything out there even better than that? Any ideas?
Do Orb and Volt share a similar FR?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #1,572 of 13,823
I have the Orb , and love everything about it except for below average technicalities (for me) , I want something more resolving, with more clarity and separation between notes. Do you think the Volt is the obvious choice. Or is there anything out there even better than that? Any ideas?
Do Orb and Volt share a similar FR?
Thanks!

I see you have the h40. In what way does that one not fulfil your request? Just curious. I just sold my Volt so my personal opinion is that it is not the next step up.

Jan 4, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #1,573 of 13,823
I see you have the h40. In what way does that one not fulfil your request? Just curious. I just sold my Volt so my personal opinion is that it is not the next step up.
Well, I don't hear their tuning that similar. I like the bass better on the Orb, on H40 it can get too much on some tracks for me. The midrange is warmer on Orb which I like. H40 is a good workout IEM , but it lacks in soundstage depth IMO., And I want a more refined and natural sound .
Why did sell the Volt, what was lacking for you?

Jan 4, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #1,574 of 13,823
Because volt needs many hours to be burnt well😆

Jan 4, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #1,575 of 13,823

Users who are viewing this thread

Back