The PENON official thread
Dec 30, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #1,531 of 13,933
I think sensitive hearing is one thing that accounts into volume levels but how much nuance you perceive is also the product of learning along the way of reviewing that makes it easier to analyze what you hear and hear more nuances. Like many things the area of the brain involved grow over time and you get better more acute.
Seems to me that Also for a lot of reviewers (many famous ones} ,this area has not grown one bit over the years. So I guess it doesn't apply for everyone.

Dec 30, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #1,532 of 13,933
I guess I will never understand people’s compulsion to convince everybody else that cables don’t make a difference. What ever happened to mutual respect for other people‘s opinions? And those that try and “correct” everybody else regarding cables always seem to go about it in some derogatory or accusatory manner. They always come off as the ones with an “agenda”. If people are just simply stating their opinions and experiences, why do you need to be the thought police? If one were to simply state “I don’t believe or find that cables make a difference in sound”, that’s cool, and I respect that. Also, if someone were overtly shilling a cable, and badgering others to buy it, that‘s something altogether different, then feel free to call them out. Otherwise, just agree to disagree.

Now you don't have to take my word for it.
I for one believe people are smart enough to figure it out for themselves and cross reference impressions from various sources and figure out if a review is reliable/helpful or not.
Exactly! It’s up to the reader to decide for themselves what to do with information and opinions provided.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #1,533 of 13,933
Seems to me that Also for a lot of reviewers (many famous ones} ,this area has not grown one bit over the years. So I guess it doesn't apply for everyone.

You're entitled to your opinion but that places you fairly high doesn't it to decide who is legit and who is not?
Many reviewers - and yes even the "famous" ones - I believe are mostly all passionate people who want to share and help.
Reviewing is real work, time and effort I realized that when I went from posting even detailed impressions in threads for years to full blown reviews.

On the other end of the review, I know I wouldn't have purchased (often blind purchased because you don't always get to have the abitilty to audition especially in Europe) much gear without reviewers like @flinkenick @Deezel177 @twister6 @audio123 among others but also many headfiers here who share their impressions and reviews that I trust because we have common reference point cross sharing our impressions and analysis about gear.

I do a lot of meetups locally as well and it's a wonderful sharing and learning experience :heartbeat:

But let's get back on topic!

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #1,534 of 13,933

Let’s just respect that some people hear the difference in cables and some do not. You’re entitled to your own opinion and the same applies for everyone here, so like David said, let’s get back on topic!

Dec 30, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #1,535 of 13,933
I am sorry if I offended anyone. You are right. I was wrong.
Maybe it is an ability to acquire over time , who knows. I don't know, it's very confusing .There are lots of videos on this subject , people, even academics who bring up scientific reasons to back the claim that cables can't have an effect on SQ. Either way, I can't hear any differences, and I am more than happy about it.

Dec 30, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #1,536 of 13,933
Let’s just respect that some people hear the difference in cables and some do not. You’re entitled to your own opinion and the same applies for everyone here, so like David said, let’s get back on topic!
The topic was a cable making a difference.

Dec 30, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #1,537 of 13,933
I'm also using Volt with Penon Leo Plus cable and the difference is very audible. Volt are very sensitive to the source. And in my case Penon also forgot to make me a payment, actually I haven't even known, that they should! I'll send them screenshot :p

Dec 30, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #1,539 of 13,933
The topic was a cable making a difference.
Maybe the topic being referred to here is that this is the Penon Audio enthusiast's thread...?

Dec 30, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #1,540 of 13,933
I am sorry if I offended anyone. You are right. I was wrong.
Maybe it is an ability to acquire over time , who knows. I don't know, it's very confusing .There are lots of videos on this subject , people, even academics who bring up scientific reasons to back the claim that cables can't have an effect on SQ. Either way, I can't hear any differences, and I am more than happy about it.

But what are "scientific" reasons anyway? Science, if you attempt to define it in a reductionist sense, is merely a systematic way of acquiring knowledge and understanding. I have not read the often "cited" academic papers and research, and I've only glanced through many thinkpieces cursorily. But I wager that many of these research papers MUST be inconclusive because they cannot substantially disprove the topic of cables and auditory differences. Neither can cable enthusiasts substantially prove their side of the story. This is because:

- The "scientific" end substantiates with concepts, theory and measuring instruments, but (1) while concepts and theory are substantiated over centuries of research they are unfortunately based on (2) measuring instruments of some sort applied with some kind of control mechanism, which, though can give some sort of reliable and repeatable result, are ultimately incomplete and unable to pick out the most minor auditory differences that the human ear can;

- The cable enthusiast's end substantiates with human experience. While many have reported audible differences, they are impossible to meaningfully substantiate beyond written records. However! Neither can the scientific method reliably disprove the differences that this camp hears because there's simply too many witness accounts out there.

If independent human beings -non reviewers- can attest to sonic differences in cable swaps, and there is no reliable way to disprove them beyond the imperfect measuring instruments, then we can only conclude that we cannot write them off completely as bollocks... nothing more, nothing less.

To add further complications, I've done my own A/B, blind tests with other folks who have told me remarkably consistent descriptions of the differences that cable swaps bring. Is it because manufacturers have poisoned these guys with teh biased moneys?!!?? Honestly I can't prove that either, and I would hesitate before I set up my picket lines for that.

I have some further thoughts on this subject to share, but I'll probably do so in a short post or elsewhere when I have the time, or I'd also be derailing this thread off topic!

Dec 30, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #1,541 of 13,933
Or you don’t have particularly attuned hearing to notice the differences perhaps? Like @tgx78 said, I wish I got paid to say how much I appreciate a product but alas I don’t. I just happen to really like the Totem (which was the first Penon product I ever bought, incidentally - because I was so impressed with it, I went on to buy the Volts and an OSG cable as well as another Totem. I also just purchased a Draco silver cable from them but haven’t received it yet). I have also purchased multiple products from Effect Audio, Empire Ears, Unique Melody and AME amongst others this year and have commented in other threads about the items I have liked from those other manufacturers too). Perhaps you should try the product for yourself @Mehran rather than instantly assuming that I (and others here) have some other agenda. I can’t speak for anyone else but I’m just a regular, paying audio enthusiast, which - correct me if I’m wrong - is the audience head-fi was created for to share their thoughts.
Hey, which Unique Melody iems you have?

Dec 30, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #1,543 of 13,933
Especially with today's equipment the audio quality you get for enjoying music is unbelievable. The fact that people care this much about SQ and try to do meticulous observations about how music sounds , and actually believe that all this tiny nuances make a difference in enjoying music is beyond me. This is not normal in my view. It actually works against letting the mind go and connect in a deeper level to music. It's very ironic the whole thing.
This is how human kind has become more clever and less intelligent.

I’d rather be more clever actually :relaxed: Anyway, this is a forum of mainly people discussing on equipment, and yes most people here try to eek out “tiny nuances” to enjoy more their equipment AND favourite music.

If people are content just to enjoy music without paying too much attention to equipment, then they should just stick to having a pair of IEM/headphones and a single DAP/source/DAC and not having multiple sets of equipment :wink:

Dec 30, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #1,544 of 13,933
I’d rather be more clever actually :relaxed: Anyway, this is a forum of mainly people discussing on equipment, and yes most people here try to eek out “tiny nuances” to enjoy more their equipment AND favourite music.

If people are content just to enjoy music without paying too much attention to equipment, then they should just stick to having a pair of IEM/headphones and a single DAP/source/DAC and not having multiple sets of equipment :wink:
That's a very "clever" comment. Lol

You can enjoy music with different flavours and get use of different equipment for different use cases and situations, different genres, moods, hours of the day, etc. You don't have to actively pay attention to it. You don't buy a high end TV to look at colour accuracy and resolution .
I guess when you lose the ability to feel you must rely on ideas and concepts in your head and comparative thoughts to create a pseudo feeling and sensation.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #1,545 of 13,933
That's a very "clever" comment.

You can enjoy music with different flavours and get use of different equipment for different genres, moods, hours of the day, etc. You don't have to actively pay attention to it.

Well I’m not gonna comment on your first sentence as I don’t want this to derail the thread further.

As to your second point, that defeats the purpose of your own argument. Why depend on moods, genres etc. when you can enjoy the music and not actively pay attention to it. I guess this will be the last time I’ll respond to this matter as I want to get back on reading impressions on the Volt. Enjoy the music!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back