The PENON official thread
Dec 30, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #1,546 of 13,933
I am sorry I didn't mean to offend you , I was just joking. Anyway I deleted the OP before your response as this is not the place for this argument.

Dec 30, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #1,547 of 13,933
I am sorry if I offended anyone. You are right. I was wrong.
Maybe it is an ability to acquire over time , who knows. I don't know, it's very confusing .There are lots of videos on this subject , people, even academics who bring up scientific reasons to back the claim that cables can't have an effect on SQ. Either way, I can't hear any differences, and I am more than happy about it.
No, you are not wrong either. You are fully entitled to your opinion on matters. Just express them as such, and don‘t attack others for having differing opinions. Not hearing differences in cables saves you money, so just enjoy that aspect.

”Science” has become such an amorphous and meaningless term these days. Many people‘s science simply constitutes interpreting data in the way that supports their preexisting opinions and narrative. I‘m still waiting for “science” to define what things are beautiful and what things are ugly.

Dec 31, 2020 at 4:11 AM Post #1,548 of 13,933
My very first Freq.gen. ever!
The Sphere on Linum bax and SD++
Even without smoothing, clearly the tuning is superb and that peak before 16k, is louder than how it's shown.
1609405594245.png

Happy New Year everyone...

Dec 31, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #1,549 of 13,933
I‘m still waiting for “science” to define what things are beautiful and what things are ugly.

Eugenics is an even bigger can of worms than cables lol.

Dec 31, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #1,550 of 13,933
If not then either few people have superhuman hearing that can heat these incredible differences or are really delusional.
I guess I have super human hearing. :wink: I can easily hear differences with cables. I can clearly tell the differences between all these cables in my collection. Obviously, some have more of an effect on certain iems, than others. By the way, I was skeptic for years, until I "trained" my ears to hear small differences, by trying more gear. It took a good while, but now I can't unhear the differences. However, I totally get that some people don't have as good of hearing, and I know I am blessed.

20201125_040427.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #1,552 of 13,933
My very first Freq.gen. ever!
The Sphere on Linum bax and SD++
Even without smoothing, clearly the tuning is superb and that peak before 16k, is louder than how it's shown.
1609405594245.png

Happy New Year everyone...
Nice man! I look forward to seeing many more.

Dec 31, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #1,553 of 13,933
I guess I have super human hearing. :wink: I can easily hear differences with cables. I can clearly tell the differences between all these cables in my collection. Obviously, some have more of an effect on certain iems, than others. By the way, I was skeptic for years, until I "trained" my ears to hear small differences, by trying more gear. It took a good while, but now I can't unhear the differences. However, I totally get that some people don't have as good of hearing, and I know I am blessed.

20201125_040427.jpg
I am happy for you.. And I and many others should rue our luck that we can't reach a special realm of audio nirvana like some people can. Lol.

Dec 31, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #1,554 of 13,933
I am happy for you.. And I and many others should rue our luck that we can't reach a special realm of audio nirvana like some people can. Lol.
FWIW (not much at all), I can here some differences with cables and certain IEMs, mostly when changing the conductor material, such as pure copper to pure silver. I have not tried any expensive cables (none over $100 aftermarket), and don’t know if I would hear obvious differences or not. I don’t doubt at all that others do. I personally just choose to not go down that path, and accept that I may be missing out a bit. I’ve made the same choice with sources as well. To each their own.

Dec 31, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #1,555 of 13,933

20201125_040427.jpg
Your not the only one. My brain somehow picks up nuances, low level details (nowadays, micro detail) from my fav. tracks, that i've been playing over and over, for a very long time. From the beginning of my journey, portables to home hi-fi and back again to portables.
And i keep doing them till this day, lols...

Dec 31, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #1,556 of 13,933
Dec 31, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #1,557 of 13,933
FWIW (not much at all), I can here some differences with cables and certain IEMs, mostly when changing the conductor material, such as pure copper to pure silver. I have not tried any expensive cables (none over $100 aftermarket), and don’t know if I would hear obvious differences or not. I don’t doubt at all that others do. I personally just choose to not go down that path, and accept that I may be missing out a bit. I’ve made the same choice with sources as well. To each their own.
I have said many times , I have had many blissful experiences listening to music even from old cassette players. So objective SQ is one thing, level of enjoyment is a whole other thing. A line should be drawn to how much we wanna be a tool in the hands of mind.

Dec 31, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #1,558 of 13,933
I have both as well and I'd suggest you try the Volt with either the OSG cable or Totem cable. The Volts scale extraordinarily well with cable changes. Incidentally, the Totem cable is also my favourite cable with my MESTs too (for context, I have tried them with EA Code 51, EA Leonidas II Octa, EA Cleopatra Octa, PW Audio 1950s, PW Audio 1960s, EA Janus Basso, EA Lionheart, Dunu Hulk, EA Ares II, Eletech Iliad, Eletech Plato, Eletech Socrates, Eletech Fortitude, Eletech Prudence and several other high end cables - whilst many of them were very good, none quite matched the synergy that the Totem has with the MEST for some reason). I loved the Totem so much that I bought another one, in fact. I'm sure @davidmolliere will back me up on my thoughts about the Totem too.

I did actually A/B the Volt between the stock cable and the OSG, and actually preferred the stock. It sounded a little less bright (flatter) with the OSG. I don't think this is expectation bias because my expectations were that I would prefer the OSG.

I don't know why I can't get on board with the Volt. I probably need to spend a couple of weeks with it alone and maybe I'll come to appreciate it. This won't happen soon, however because I just got a Legend X in the house and I need to spend time with my new toy (my precious).

Dec 31, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #1,559 of 13,933

Some might speculate you are cursed (like your accountant). :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back