The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Apr 8, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #2,326 of 2,849
One positive and negative about the velours.

The positive is for gamers.  They make your gaming sounds a bit better as they open up the sounds a bit more than the stock pads.

The negative if you consider this a negative. The bass won't vibrate your ear lobes anymore as the sound pressure lessens with the velours.

Apr 8, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #2,327 of 2,849

Quote:
I'm enjoying my htf600's very much. I can't believe I only paid $30 on amazon for these. Has anyone tried these with the JDS Labs cMoy? I'm just wondering if it will do anything for me that I can't do with my EQ aside from it being generally louder. Even if it can get louder, I don't know why I would want to blow my ear drums out. I guess my real question is "Will the JDS Labs cMoy combined with htf600 give me a higher quality sound or can I just achieve this by messing with the EQ?"

I always like to listen with a flat eq and work around it from there. Although I hear that the panasonic responds well to eq.

Apr 8, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #2,329 of 2,849
[=
2bb4cfb8.jpg
][/]

My boys enjoying their 600 before Easter church.
Happy Easter all that celebrate.

Apr 8, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #2,332 of 2,849

Quote:
Bass a bit tighter and mids come out a bit, but other than that, a louder sound...

Hmm, I was almost certain that I was going to purchased a used one off of a user on head-fi but now I'm wondering those slight changes are really worth $55. hmm, decisions decisions.

Btw, I couldn't figure out how to delete a post, anyone know? I might just be blind.

Apr 8, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #2,334 of 2,849
Just get them. But wait till the price drops.
You have to get the kids started early. They love them. Even with the volume limiter on the iPod they still sound good at lower level. I think these are way better then them using earbuds. Very big no no with the their doctor. So I got them these which they like cause I have a pair. Have to get those ears trained.

Apr 8, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #2,336 of 2,849
Quote:
Hmm, I was almost certain that I was going to purchased a used one off of a user on head-fi but now I'm wondering those slight changes are really worth $55. hmm, decisions decisions.

Btw, I couldn't figure out how to delete a post, anyone know? I might just be blind.

NO amp will provide EXTREME changes to headphones... most of the time, changes are subtle unless the amp carries a specific signature...
For sound changes, new headphones are the way to go :wink:

Still, the JDSLabs Cmoy is a great buy.

Apr 8, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #2,337 of 2,849

Quote:
Still wondering about a good comparison between these and the XB500...

short answer- xb500 pure bass cannon.  the pannys have more detailed mids and highs along with a strong helping of bass.  xb have more bass but the panasonics are a close 2nd and have more going for them than just bass.

the panasonics are enjoyable for a wide range of music (and movies)  while the xb500s are more specialized for bass heavy music types.

the xb series were designed to get that "in the club" sound and they do a darn good job at it.  for good and bad.

i think the sonys are more comfortable and have better build quality- but thats just my limited opinion...

Apr 9, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #2,338 of 2,849

Quote:
Still wondering about a good comparison between these and the XB500...

HTF600 have in comparision to XB500:

- Better bass quality, more controlled (not all over the place, less resonance in bass) and still decently strong in terms of impact/punch around the midbass especially
- Quite significantly worse bass extension (starts rolling-off around at least by 40Hz or so while XB500 goes evenly down to even 15Hz)
- Mids are A LOT more forward and in-your-face, detailed, have better definition too
- Highs are also a bit more forward, slightly better extending at the top-end, have very slightly better resolution to them
- Soundstage is noticably larger and "out-of-your-head" but at the same time have a more engaging presentation too
- Instrument separation is also better on the HTF600 but the positioning I think XB500 does very well for some reason, not sure which beats who there but I always had excellent results while gaming with XB500 in terms of positioning
- Stock pads are a lot less comfortable and causes sweating which I didn't usually get with XB500 unless doing gaming sessions for several hours (when I also get physically stressed as my mind is working at 110% ^^)
- Poor build quality, confirmed low quality diaphragm => may get driver stuck in wrong position which will be heard as lower volume and possibly some distortion 

XB500 in comparision to HTF600:

- Way bassier (good or bad), can create enough bass presure to "feel-the-bass" tickling your ears
- The bass response is very nicely balanced in terms of mid vs subbass, no roll-off to speak of
- COMFORTABLE
- Build quality is better
- Positioning is quite good
- Huge EQ potential, default may very well be worth $60 or so for extreme bassheads but with EQing it can quite easily be more worth like upwards 100~$120 or so I think optimally EQd XB500 even beats for example unEQ'd V-Moda LP2s (MSRP $199 but these I think are no worth near $199 in sound though, maybe $75 unEQ'd).

Apr 9, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #2,340 of 2,849
I recently bought another pair of HTF 600s after selling mine to a friend, and I bought it from someone who did the foam removal mod. I A/B tested it with a pair that still had them on, and I found that while it opened up the soundstage quite a bit, the headphones sounded a bit looser and out of control (just a bit). Everything just sounded a bit tighter on the ones with the foam mod on, but the opened up soundstage isn't too bad either.

I bought these for really cheap, so that's the only reason I re acquired them. I don't think I would purchase them if they were 40-50+ dollars since I barely listen to these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back