The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Dec 30, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #1,756 of 2,849
UPS delivered these today (along with a Superlux HD681 that I purchased for someone else). My first impressions:

The packaging is very good. The headphones themselves look way better than I thought they would in person. I know that some people in this forum don't care what their headphones look like, but I do. They sit very well on my head with my glasses and seem to be comfortable. They seem just as comfortable as my Audio-Technica M50. 

Sound-wise they seem like they are pretty good. Without any burn-in on eitherand after just a couple hours I think I like these better than the Superlux HD681. I know the HD681 are probably "technically" better.

I think these are going to be a fun companion to my Audio-Technica M50.

Dec 30, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #1,757 of 2,849

Quote:
So I picked up a pair of htf600's to see what all the fuss was about and I think in term of sound quality they're worth no more than 30 bucks.  Comparing these to a pair of KCS75 ($15), I found the Koss to be much more balanced and the best part was that it did the mid right.  The mid from the hf600 has a tin-can like signature.  It made vocal sound thin and edgy giving me headache :frowning2:.  I was surprised that no one made a big deal about this issue.  Sorry to bust anyone's bubble but the KCS75 represents a much better deal.  I don't care how much bass the the htf600 put out but I just cannot bear the the tin-can like mid.  May be I need to spend more for different bassy headphones like dt990 pro, 700 MKii or HIFI580. 

hmm...I'm listening to the KCS75 as I'm writing this and sorry but I strongly disagree with you. Everyone hears different , and that's all I have to say about that. I love the mids in the pannies. The Koss is good but not my cup of tea. I think the htf600 is a very solid performer and with the velour pads it becomes total bliss to me.

Dec 30, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #1,758 of 2,849

Quote:
So I picked up a pair of htf600's to see what all the fuss was about and I think in term of sound quality they're worth no more than 30 bucks.  Comparing these to a pair of KCS75 ($15), I found the Koss to be much more balanced and the best part was that it did the mid right.  The mid from the hf600 has a tin-can like signature.  It made vocal sound thin and edgy giving me headache :frowning2:.  I was surprised that no one made a big deal about this issue.  Sorry to bust anyone's bubble but the KCS75 represents a much better deal.  I don't care how much bass the the htf600 put out but I just cannot bear the the tin-can like mid.  May be I need to spend more for different bassy headphones like dt990 pro, 700 MKii or HIFI580. 

That's with no burn in right?

Dec 30, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #1,759 of 2,849
Can someone repost all the mods that can be done to these? Also does it matter which velour pads to get with these? I think these were linked in the thread:http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/313962-REG/Beyerdynamic_942704_Padded_Earcushions_for_DT250_DT280.html but I saw that these:http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/645787-REG/Pearstone_9081860_Deluxe_Earpads_Pair.html

also fit the sonys the first one fit, and bhphoto sells the 2nd pad with the MDRV6 so I'm assuming its a good pair.

Apologies for what seems like a rambling mess, I finally got these after shopblt was on backorder forever.

Dec 31, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #1,760 of 2,849
Well there is the simple mod that is on the beginning of the thread..But to be honest I like the way they sound without any type of mods. Then there is taking that foam film off the driver that I am sure will brighten up the sound a bit.

Both those pads will work. I like the Beyer pads as they have holes on the bottom. I think the pearstone ones will work just fine too. There was a guy that bought one of those and ended up working out.. The best mod is just burning your HTF600 in for a solid 50 though I think they change a bit more so with more use. Happy listening.

Dec 31, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #1,761 of 2,849
I was the guy who bought them with the Pearstones. Very comfy, the HTF600 is still my most comfortable headphone. 

Quote:
Well there is the simple mod that is on the beginning of the thread..But to be honest I like the way they sound without any type of mods. Then there is taking that foam film off the driver that I am sure will brighten up the sound a bit.

Both those pads will work. I like the Beyer pads as they have holes on the bottom. I think the pearstone ones will work just fine too. There was a guy that bought one of those and ended up working out.. The best mod is just burning your HTF600 in for a solid 50 though I think they change a bit more so with more use. Happy listening.

Dec 31, 2011 at 5:04 AM Post #1,762 of 2,849

Quote:
I was the guy who bought them with the Pearstones. Very comfy, the HTF600 is still my most comfortable headphone. 

Yea well that's a huge thanks to the very light clamping force. I'd possibly prefer slightly more clamping, when I've used Q40 for a while now the HTF600 almost feels like it would fall off as it barely clamps vs Q40 which has quite a significant amount of clamping.

Jan 1, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #1,764 of 2,849
I remember someone posted some mod suggestions that wasn't in the beginning of the thread, I just can't seem to find them atm. To be honest I don't know if I will mod these other then just buying pads, I just wanted to keep my options open

Jan 1, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #1,765 of 2,849
Hey guys,
some of my coworkers were raving about DR. DRE PRO BEATS, but since I didn't want to spend $300 (not on an overpriced Monster set), I started searching around for an alternative. I came across a head-fi page that sent me to Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones, but scanning the amazon reviews/discussion for those someone sent me back to head-fi telling me to look up the Panasonic HTF 600 thread by dsnuts.

I've been reading through the thread and just ordered two. Been running low on funds so I'm happy I only had to spend $60 on two. I can't wait to burn them in! As long as they are comparable to my Koss UR40s I'll be happy! The headphones I have are Tritton AX PRO, Koss UR40, Sennheiser HD515, Koss Pro4AAT Titanium Pro Headphones. Of those the Koss UR40s were the most impressive in my opinion.

I've also had a couple of Turtle Beach headsets. I have to say the PX5s were the best headphones I have ever heard, but I sent them back to Amazon as they would not give me 5.1 sound when hooked up to my PC soundcard via optical cable. (Worked fine with PS3, but I needed them to work with my pc.)
Anyway, I'm just looking forward to these and if I can get away with getting DRE sound out of a set of headphones that cost less than a tenth of what the DREs cost, I'll be very happy.

I might try modding one of them we'll see, first I gotta burn them in soon as I get them:)

Jan 1, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #1,766 of 2,849

Quote:
Hey guys,
some of my coworkers were raving about DR. DRE PRO BEATS, but since I didn't want to spend $300 (not on an overpriced Monster set), I started searching around for an alternative. I came across a head-fi page that sent me to Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones, but scanning the amazon reviews/discussion for those someone sent me back to head-fi telling me to look up the Panasonic HTF 600 thread by dsnuts.

I've been reading through the thread and just ordered two. Been running low on funds so I'm happy I only had to spend $60 on two. I can't wait to burn them in! As long as they are comparable to my Koss UR40s I'll be happy! The headphones I have are Tritton AX PRO, Koss UR40, Sennheiser HD515, Koss Pro4AAT Titanium Pro Headphones. Of those the Koss UR40s were the most impressive in my opinion.

I've also had a couple of Turtle Beach headsets. I have to say the PX5s were the best headphones I have ever heard, but I sent them back to Amazon as they would not give me 5.1 sound when hooked up to my PC soundcard via optical cable. (Worked fine with PS3, but I needed them to work with my pc.)
Anyway, I'm just looking forward to these and if I can get away with getting DRE sound out of a set of headphones that cost less than a tenth of what the DREs cost, I'll be very happy.

I might try modding one of them we'll see, first I gotta burn them in soon as I get them:)

So you have about $340 invested in 4 pairs of low quality headphones, and you just spent $60 on two more?

No offense, but quit while you're behind and reevaluate your priorities. If you really want a pair of good quality headphones, just keep what you have until you've saved enough for something that's a step up from what you already have.

Jan 2, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #1,767 of 2,849

Quote:
Taking out the foam on the inside of the cup covering the middle cup openings (4 small holes) around the "left" and "right" labels and then cover all but the bottom one of those holes with something that air can't get through (for example that shiny tape or like I simply used blutak on the outside of the cup). The foam that is there seems to not let any air out, when you put your ear next to the label you won't hear much sound leaking out at all...

You open the driver casing easily by removing the pads first, then you'll see 2 holes near the grey foam which you just have to pry with a screwdriver. Then you have to unlock it on the other side (there's to pins there as well) as well with a screwdriver that's small enough so you can push the pins from inside outwards to unlock the pins holding it together. Then remove the small piece of foam covering the holes on the back of the cup and leave all but the bottom one uncovered (with all holes open it won't sound great, it'll be too much reverb and highs will sound veiled/masked by lows/lower-mids).

I haven't tried leaving the small side holes open though so it would be 2 holes instead of one, doubt it'll be much difference but that might be worth a try as well. Possibly one could try covering the holes that's higher up, beneath the headband tip too and experiment with that too (my guess soundstage will be worse though). I could imagine that might even increase bass further and it would work more like a bass port design that way, might have to be a little more than one hole open in the middle in that case though.

Here you go bryyando.
Big change after this mod, and enjoy symphony, sonata, jazz and vocal with your modded pana.

Jan 4, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #1,768 of 2,849
Hey guys,

Im new here and just had a couple of quick questions. I want headphones that I can take with me to school.
Previously in the thread a couple of guys said that their drivers went out of position and had to blow into them.
Is the pannies build quality so bad that they would break from everyday use? And, how often does that displacement of the drivers occur?

Thanks in Advance

Jan 4, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #1,769 of 2,849
I just got these in the mail and are starting to burn them in now.  i have been browsing this thread to see what i could do to improve sound, and this is what i have gotten so far:

Burn in...50 hrs to be exact to where these cans are stable

remove the foam film just under the pads (how do you do this? its glued down, do you just tear if off anyways? any other foam removal? i think i saw a second piece under the larger one with the cut in it)
also if you take this foam out, what is protecting the driver? does it need protection from dust as they are constantly vibrating?

beyer velour pads, but theyre out of stock on amazon, and have been for a while :frowning2:

Jan 5, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #1,770 of 2,849

Quote:
Hey guys,

Im new here and just had a couple of quick questions. I want headphones that I can take with me to school.
Previously in the thread a couple of guys said that their drivers went out of position and had to blow into them.
Is the pannies build quality so bad that they would break from everyday use? And, how often does that displacement of the drivers occur?

Thanks in Advance

I havent had theirs drivers went out of position.
They wont break, except you use your car to destroy it.

Quote:
I just got these in the mail and are starting to burn them in now.  i have been browsing this thread to see what i could do to improve sound, and this is what i have gotten so far:

Burn in...50 hrs to be exact to where these cans are stable

remove the foam film just under the pads (how do you do this? its glued down, do you just tear if off anyways? any other foam removal? i think i saw a second piece under the larger one with the cut in it)
also if you take this foam out, what is protecting the driver? does it need protection from dust as they are constantly vibrating?

beyer velour pads, but theyre out of stock on amazon, and have been for a while :frowning2:

No no no, dont do that, you will regret it like me, because it's a mistake.
First you remove your pad, then you look into the space between two part of the headphone. You will see 4 columns, use for screw diver to aviate the part which contains  your pad, do it 4 times and you will see the driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back