The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Jan 5, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #1,771 of 2,849

Quote:
I havent had theirs drivers went out of position.
They wont break, except you use your car to destroy it.

No no no, dont do that, you will regret it like me, because it's a mistake.
First you remove your pad, then you look into the space between two part of the headphone. You will see 4 columns, use for screw diver to aviate the part which contains  your pad, do it 4 times and you will see the driver.

wait, what should i not do? bayer pads or removing the foam film.  do you know if the drivers will still be protected with the film off?

Jan 6, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #1,774 of 2,849
anyone know if removing the foam film is worth exposing the drivers? or if they need to really be protected at all?

I've had them without the foam since I've bought them... which was about two months ago. Not a single problem. Sound quality is still top notch just like the first day I removed it. I usually blow lightly on the drivers just to keep dust and the like off them..

And yes, it's completely worth it. New headphones after doing it. Say hi to the clarity these are missing out of the box, say bye to the bass mess and muddiness and etc... That foam shouldn't even be there from the beginning.

Jan 6, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #1,775 of 2,849
I finally got my Panas. Tried them out of the box, they were ok. So I took the suggestions here and burnt them in over 4 days. Did some A and B with my HD668B I would do three or four songs which was a pain cause the Luxs take more power to run.

At first I liked the laid back sound of the Panasonics on pop rock tracks. On electronic, techno, dubstep and hiphop I disliked them a ton. The more and I did this testing I couldn't stand the veiled sound. There is so much more clarity on my HD668B's. I can hear all the ranges so clearly and yes they can be slightly bright on certain pop and rock tracks. But that veiled sound of the panasonics I just can't friggin stand.

I know we all hear differently so this could be why I hear them so differently from other forum members. Plus I have a slight tinnitus

in both ears so if something is muffled or veiled or hollow sounding it definitely stands out for me.

Now to search for a slight step up from the HD668B cause I feel the samsons or HD681 series would be a step down / side step.

My HD668B's are still the best budget headphone I have used. I have tried to push these on gamers on the past that want a cheap clear headphone but they always get overlooked for the Samsons or other superlux headphones. Maybe I just weird. :)

Jan 6, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #1,776 of 2,849
What if I replace the foam with a piece of streched pantyhose?
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
I've had them without the foam since I've bought them... which was about two months ago. Not a single problem. Sound quality is still top notch just like the first day I removed it. I usually blow lightly on the drivers just to keep dust and the like off them..
And yes, it's completely worth it. New headphones after doing it. Say hi to the clarity these are missing out of the box, say bye to the bass mess and muddiness and etc... That foam shouldn't even be there from the beginning.

Should I only remove the blue area or can I also remove the green area?

Jan 6, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #1,777 of 2,849
I finally got my Panas. Tried them out of the box, they were ok. So I took the suggestions here and burnt them in over 4 days. Did some A and B with my HD668B I would do three or four songs which was a pain cause the Luxs take more power to run.

At first I liked the laid back sound of the Panasonics on pop rock tracks. On electronic, techno, dubstep and hiphop I disliked them a ton. The more and I did this testing I couldn't stand the veiled sound. There is so much more clarity on my HD668B's. I can hear all the ranges so clearly and yes they can be slightly bright on certain pop and rock tracks. But that veiled sound of the panasonics I just can't friggin stand.

Remove the foam in front of the drivers. They won't turn into the HD668b/SR850 in clarity, but they get clear enough to really notice the little details in the recordings (and the frequency response gets a lot more balanced, too)... not that clear as to strain your ears after an hour of listening like the superluxes and the samson. I like how my SR850 sounds, but I find listening to the HTF600 for prolonged times much easier. Take out that foam, you won't regret it.

After doing that give your ears and brain some time to adapt to these headphones.. you'll probably love the signature of the pannies if you come from the HD668b and its siblings. At least that was my personal experience.

What if I replace the foam with a piece of streched pantyhose? :tongue_smile:

Should I only remove the blue area or can I also remove the green area?

Remove the blue area, that's the foam which ruins these headphones. Remove the green area if you like, there won't be a difference in sound quality. You know, I was about to replace the foam with stretched pantyhose as you are going to do but I forgot about it :p... that's an excellent idea, that will definitely keep dust and hair out of the drivers without impacting sound quality. Mine have been for two months without foam and protection.. no issues so far.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't stress it enough for everyone else who finds these headphones lacking in clarity and detail/too rolled off in the mids/highs.. REMOVE THE FOAM! You'll thank me later.

Jan 7, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #1,778 of 2,849
I gave them to my brother to try out. If he doesn't like them I am going to mod them and use them as a back up.

Jan 7, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #1,779 of 2,849

Quote:
Remove the foam in front of the drivers. They won't turn into the HD668b/SR850 in clarity, but they get clear enough to really notice the little details in the recordings (and the frequency response gets a lot more balanced, too)... not that clear as to strain your ears after an hour of listening like the superluxes and the samson. I like how my SR850 sounds, but I find listening to the HTF600 for prolonged times much easier. Take out that foam, you won't regret it.
After doing that give your ears and brain some time to adapt to these headphones.. you'll probably love the signature of the pannies if you come from the HD668b and its siblings. At least that was my personal experience.
Remove the blue area, that's the foam which ruins these headphones. Remove the green area if you like, there won't be a difference in sound quality. You know, I was about to replace the foam with stretched pantyhose as you are going to do but I forgot about it
tongue.gif
... that's an excellent idea, that will definitely keep dust and hair out of the drivers without impacting sound quality. Mine have been for two months without foam and protection.. no issues so far.
I can't stress it enough for everyone else who finds these headphones lacking in clarity and detail/too rolled off in the mids/highs.. REMOVE THE FOAM! You'll thank me later.

How would you get said panty hose to stay on the cans? im pretty paranoid about my stuff and want to make them last for as long as possible 

Jan 7, 2012 at 4:56 AM Post #1,780 of 2,849
i just took the foam off the drivers and tested them with the same songs, and i actually do hear a difference for the better, though it is very slight, i can hear hi-hat chips more clearly and the bass seems smoother and arnt as veiled as before, with the foam on the smaller impacts are less significant and almost unheard unless you know there's supposed to be bass there, but with them off i could be listening to a song for the first time and hear all the impacts. with the improvement of highs, i feel some vocals are piercing and make me cringe a bit, but you can just eq down to your liking

these headphones have also made me a believer in burn in, i played a mix of white noise, pink noise, and random "ocean wave" sound stuff, on spotify for about 55 hours now and have heard a pretty good difference.  very happy for the 30.03 i spent on these with "super saver shipping"

Jan 7, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #1,782 of 2,849
I had a friend that always used to take off the foam cover from his speakers as it was such a night and day difference in clarity and he showed the difference to me and it was like an instant change. So yea I know it will have a big difference, but I'd be afraid of it getting too bright, some slight EQing to the highs fixes it for me with the foam there anyway.

Jan 7, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #1,785 of 2,849
I had a friend that always used to take off the foam cover from his speakers as it was such a night and day difference in clarity and he showed the difference to me and it was like an instant change. So yea I know it will have a big difference, but I'd be afraid of it getting too bright, some slight EQing to the highs fixes it for me with the foam there anyway.

I also remove the covers from my speakers when I use them, the difference is noticeable, yes. :D

Have you ever heard the superluxes HD668b/681 or the samson SR850? These are bright cans... the pannies without the foam aren't even near them in brightness. After all if there's something you don't like about them in this state, you can always apply some EQ... But it becomes a much more balanced can, yes. Feel free to try! You can always put the foam back with little drops of glue, if you removed it carefully keeping the foam disk intact. You already have the burning in done... just one more step to unleash them.

At first you notice a small change like dooodstevenn said, after some more listening you begin to appreciate what these are actually capable of. That was the What moment for me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back