The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Dec 28, 2011 at 8:08 AM Post #1,743 of 2,849
I am buying headphones for someone and they gave me a hard cap of under $40. I have narrowed it down to this Panasonic and the Superlux HD 681. What am I going to choose? Them both, of course! I plan on giving him the Superlux and keeping the Panasonic for myself. It will have a place of honor with my Audio-Technica M50 that I bought myself a few days ago and the Bose IE2 that I was given for Christmas.

Before this month I was strictly a stock earbud or random cheap earphones person. Then I started looking online to find a pair of Beats RED Solo HDs for my brother's Christmas present. Fast forward 3 weeks and I have bought the Beats for my brother, been given the IE2, bought the M50 for myself, bought a CAL! for someone, and now I am buying the Superlux for someone and keeping  the Panasonic.

I think the HTF600 should come in handy.

Dec 28, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #1,744 of 2,849
I've been enjoying these pannies for the last couple of days. My sister finally arrived with them fully burned in! they sound much better than I originally hoped for, and definitely a keeper. Trance sounds excellent with them. Thanks to Dsnuts, RPG and Malveaux for your valuable imput on the thread.

cheers
beerchug.gif

Dec 29, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #1,747 of 2,849
I'm just about to order some HTF600's (At a good price)
However on amazon I can't get a good price on the HTF890's as a lot of the vendors won't ship to my Australian address. There is one that will however, but the headphones themselves cost $55 from this vendor, then add $25 shipping or so. 

At that price it negates a lot of the value to be had I guess; I'll say that I already have a pair of Samson SR850's, and I listen to a lot of Hip Hop, EDM, Drum and Bass and UK Garage. In my position, is it really worth getting the HTF890's?

Dec 29, 2011 at 7:32 AM Post #1,748 of 2,849
personally, I wouldnt.  the samson and the panny have two different sound sigs, the second panny would be redundant IMO.  Of course, that hasnt stopped many of us, including myself, from making a purchase but I try to only do that on great deals.

Dec 29, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #1,749 of 2,849
Thanks idvsego,

I decided to leave out the HTF890's, I figured that since both the HTF890's and Samson SR850's have both been compared to an AD700 here, perhaps the difference between them isn't enough to justify spending that much. I did however end up getting the HTF600's and the Philips SHE3580.

I will leave some input here once I get them; I'm not as big of an audiophile as some, but I'll try to give an indication if these have a good sound or not :)

Dec 29, 2011 at 8:57 AM Post #1,750 of 2,849

Quote:
Thanks idvsego,

I decided to leave out the HTF890's, I figured that since both the HTF890's and Samson SR850's have both been compared to an AD700 here, perhaps the difference between them isn't enough to justify spending that much. I did however end up getting the HTF600's and the Philips SHE3580.

I will leave some input here once I get them; I'm not as big of an audiophile as some, but I'll try to give an indication if these have a good sound or not :)

I would have told you not to get the HTF890. You are correct that the Samsons and the HTF890 are similar in many ways. I think the Samsons actually have a better sound as well so you made the right decision. You got a SHE3580.Nice.. Between the full sized HTF600 and the SHE3580 you are getting max value for your hard earned cash.. Great one two combo. One for the home and one on the go. Solid choices.

Dec 29, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #1,751 of 2,849
Dsnuts, when will you give M-Audio Q40 a try, Samson's clarity with HTF600's bass, hell yea! :D I don't even use any EQing with these Q40, just digiZoid ZO2 on lvl6 and I'm in bassheaven with still good clarity over the whole spectrum. They seem to improve quite a bit with amping (bass response & dynamic range), the HTF600 are a bit easier driven.

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #1,752 of 2,849
Ya maybe soon. That sounds like your ideal can.  I am surprised there is no thread on those or are there. You should do a review and or thread on them. A great contender for higher end bass head can.

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #1,753 of 2,849

Quote:
Ya maybe soon. That sounds like your ideal can.  I am surprised there is no thread on those or are there. You should do a review and or thread on them. A great contender for higher end bass head can.

There's a very few threads on them but they are kinda old, still there's maybe 2-3 or so threads with multiple headphone comparisions where it's included but not one that's primarily focusing on it I think. 

I might get around to write a review when I can get my mind willing to do so (getting so lazy these days), my reviews are never short so and seem unable to write a short review. xD

Dec 30, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #1,754 of 2,849
So I picked up a pair of htf600's to see what all the fuss was about and I think in term of sound quality they're worth no more than 30 bucks.  Comparing these to a pair of KCS75 ($15), I found the Koss to be much more balanced and the best part was that it did the mid right.  The mid from the hf600 has a tin-can like signature.  It made vocal sound thin and edgy giving me headache :frowning2:.  I was surprised that no one made a big deal about this issue.  Sorry to bust anyone's bubble but the KCS75 represents a much better deal.  I don't care how much bass the the htf600 put out but I just cannot bear the the tin-can like mid.  May be I need to spend more for different bassy headphones like dt990 pro, 700 MKii or HIFI580. 

Dec 30, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #1,755 of 2,849

Quote:
So I picked up a pair of htf600's to see what all the fuss was about and I think in term of sound quality they're worth no more than 30 bucks.  Comparing these to a pair of KCS75 ($15), I found the Koss to be much more balanced and the best part was that it did the mid right.  The mid from the hf600 has a tin-can like signature.  It made vocal sound thin and edgy giving me headache :frowning2:.  I was surprised that no one made a big deal about this issue.  Sorry to bust anyone's bubble but the KCS75 represents a much better deal.  I don't care how much bass the the htf600 put out but I just cannot bear the the tin-can like mid.  May be I need to spend more for different bassy headphones like dt990 pro, 700 MKii or HIFI580. 

Tin-can midrange, you nailed it. Put these on after listening to the ATH-M50 and you can really hear it. And the treble is harsh and metallic, not to mention horribly uneven. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back