The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Jan 9, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #1,786 of 2,849
Just an update: I found these cans to be fantastic for the price. They exceed my expectations and to be honest, they sound quite similar to the HD650. Of course they weren't as good as the HD650 but looking at the price difference, it's scary. Kudos to Dsnuts for the finding! The headphones are very decent and satisfactory. It's probably the best valued headphone I have ever heard! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 10, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #1,787 of 2,849
I've had the htf600's for a couple of weeks now. I like them, for a $30 headphone they're fantastic, but, their midbass bugged me. The mids were clouded by it. Vocals sounded muddy, hollow. So, when in doubt, mod!  After all, they're only 30 bucks, so what was there to lose?
I tinkered, and I played and I listened, I experimented with blu-tack and tape. finally i came up with a mod that seemed to clean up the mids and highs, bring out some detail and keep the sub bass while taming the midbass. it basically involves a little blu-tack and a knife.
 first step, open it up, remove the dark grey outer ring, (it just pops off if you pry it) then pull the four black tabs outward and remove the silver bit.
now using the tip of a knife, very carefully open up the holes on the back of the driver by removing the semi-porous paper. Be careful not to accidently pierce the driver diaphgram.

Then use the blu-tack to seal most of the vents in the silver piece.
I experimented with different configurations. including sealing them all.I found that leaving two of the small vents at the top open ended up sounding the best without ruining the soundstage.
Now just snap it all back together and enjoy! Clearer mids, more detail, and lots of rumbly bass.not too bad for a 30$ can!

Jan 11, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #1,790 of 2,849
Just snagged me a pair. Love them so far, they're slightly lacking the bass I want but that might clear up with burn in.
I'm also thinking about removing the middle foam piece as others have recommended.
Can anyone clarify again how to do this?

I'm thinking about getting some [size=small]Beyerdynamic [/size]cushions for these. Which one's do ya'll recommend and what do they do for sound/comfort?
Also what EQ do ya'll recommend for a little more clarity/bass in foobar200?

Sorry if I asked to many questions at once lol. Love these cans so far though! Just put some dubstep on and let my lil bro try them. He started skanking it out immediately. 
o2smile.gif

Jan 12, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #1,792 of 2,849
I made some custom tweaked foobar2000 Dolby Headphone config for HTF600 I'm enjoying very much, any1 care to try and see what they think? http://www20.zippyshare.com/v/72811624/file.html - just extract somewhere other than your usual foobar2000 destination and load up the exe file from there (and maybe run side by side with your own foobar2000 for quick comparision). If you have a soundcard as source I recommend to use 5.1 speaker speaker config setting in windows as dolby headphone works best with that.

The goal:

- Better soundstage
- Improved bass extension
- Slight tweaks to midbass to be slightly less intrusive
- Upper-mids/highs tiny bit more forward

This is mostly meant for stock HTF600, removing the foam covering driver for example might sound slightly too treblehappy with these settings. I didn't use any amp and soundcard settings were completely stock when doing these.

Soundstage is just excellent with these settings while still keeping the very engaging sound that HTF600 have that I don't want to destroy, in fact I find them even more engaging to listen to with these settings, it's like impossible to sit completely still in the chair, your head just wants to move along with the music. :)

Jan 12, 2012 at 4:49 AM Post #1,794 of 2,849

Quote:
Sounds better. But where is the custom EQ for it?
Actually idk the bass seems a little weaker. Personal opinion though.

It's there. Electri-Q. For me the bass is slightly stronger due to the boosted deep bass to make it more even with the midbass. But in case you switched to 5.1 speaker config from stereo like my suggestion that might be it as doing that does result in very slight reduction in bass but improvements to soundstage. I've used my Custom foobar2000 EQ setting as base/starting point and tweaked that one a little. 

This is my "Anti-Dolby Headphone" setting from which I started tweaking which simply tries to restore stock balance when Dolby Headphone is enabled:

(oh boy this curve I've tweaked by ear for like a year)

And tweaked for HTF600:

From my testing Dolby Headphone adds roughly 1.5dB bass boost (apart from the treblerange reduction) and this setting  at the very lowest point of the curve around 63Hz is set at -0.8 dB and at 20Hz it's set at +1.23 dB ie. roughly ~2.73dB boost. So yea we aren't  talking about any drastic differences here, I tried going further but I thought the balance between the mids/highs and the bass just sounded best like this, the higher you boost the bass the more impact on mids/highs clarity. Better make more subtle adjustments than possibly going overboard as all in all HTF600 is very good out of box after burn-in for most people so shouldn't either need a lot of adjustments. :) Possibly 100~150Hz area could be boosted by like 0.25~0.5 dB or so if we have to be picky. xD

Jan 12, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #1,795 of 2,849
heya guys first post here :D
i just brought these pannys and they should be here by saturday.
i listen to metal/electronic (dubstep,drumstep etc)
how good should these headphones perform 
will they shake my head without ANY modifications 
and most importantly how should i burn them in 

Thanks in advanced

Jan 12, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #1,798 of 2,849
After having used M-Audio Q40 exclusively for a while I've now spent most of the day listening to these HTF600 again and they still continue to impress me for the price. While Q40 is more refined and neutral sounding in mids & highs while having quite similar amount of bass I think these HTF600 have possibly slightly better soundstage and the mids possibly slightly more "forward" sounding. While the Q40 sounds perhaps best for me with no EQing at all which is a first to me (I tried boosting the midrange as I even prefer slightly boosted midrange over what I'd concider being "neutral" but it just doesn't seem to give much of a benefit/difference), the HTF600 responds wonderfully to EQing and this simple EQ adjustment it'll sound balanced with still very forward midrange (the mod I did probably helped slightly here) and it has like perfect synergy with ZO2.1 amp for my basshead cravings (for some reason 2.1 pairs possibly a bit better than the latest 2.3 version with this headphone as I have them both).

While it's not the most detailed headphone around, it's one of the most "musical" bang-for-buck headphones around. I can close my eyes and just get lost in the music like entering another world (especially with my dolby headphone foobar2000 config).

Does any1 even know of any other similarly bassy headphone with as forward mids with good soundstage? It just seems the HTF600 seems to be one of a kind and those are what I love about the HTF600, very unusual to find all those 3 aspects in the same headphone.

Jan 12, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #1,800 of 2,849
I have been playing with these for the past week and here are some opinions and mods.

Out of the box the upper lows lower mids are a bit much and I found there wasn't quite enough room for my ears. Grainy highs but a pretty smooth upper frequency response, price considered.

I added drawer liner foam mesh to the back inside of the earcup to control resonance.

I put 3/16 x 1/4 closed cell foam under the earpads to push them out a bit - helped comfort and seemed to smooth out the uppers mids/highs

I put self stick open cell foam around the outside of the drivers on the inside baffle

I put plumbers putty inside the "ear cup hook". I am not sure if this did anything.. 

After these mods the lower mid/high bass hump isn't so annoying. The highs are what they are. Fairly smooth frequency response but pretty grainy. Mine roll off a bit after 5k and have a notched peak at around 8700hz and maybe that causes the graininess. *Never mind. I raised the ear-pads one notch and  the peak is far less noticeable. Don't you just love headphones? Still lots of information below 50hz. Too much? Maybe but I like it.

Has anyone used sinegen something similar to get an idea what removing the driver foam does?

**UPDATE

I started to notice that the high bass to mid transition was still pretty poor and suspected the added damping material affecting the mids. I removed it and I prefer them with no damping inside. I think they have just gotten more balanced with time and don't need it. I had already removed the open cell foam from around the backside of the driver and added a few pads of plumbers putty do dampen the plastic baffle. I moved the open cell foam to the inside of the outer U shaped plastic piece that is removed when removing the drivers. I am pretty sure I am not going to screw around with any more mods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back