The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Oct 29, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #1,186 of 2,849
Agree on the red.  Low cost cans deserve some flash plus even if you don't end up loving it (though I'm sure you will), it's low stakes.  Not like getting red leather in a car or something, not that there's anything wrong with red leather.  

Oct 29, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #1,187 of 2,849
I found a thin piece of foam lining that was packed with my old Video card box. The whole idea is to make the velours a bit more plush vs making them stick out so much that it reduces some of the sounds. I took one layer off the foam as it was a bit too thick.. You can see the end result here and indeed. This adds to a wider stage. I haven't noticed too much sound change..I like it.. I think I will just keep it this way. .A bit more plush that adds a bit wider stage.

Oct 29, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #1,189 of 2,849

Quote:
@dsnuts,

Those are the Beyer velours, right?  They're open to just be stuffed with a bit more padding?

No he just put those foam rings underneath the pads to increase the distance a little bit between the driver and the ear. I reverted the change when using paper underneath the stock pleather pads, I also tried using twice as little paper to get a smaller distance change but yea I reverted back to stock as there wasn't that much of a change to the soundstage. Dsnuts might experience more of a change though as it covers up the underlying holes in the pads tho on the Beyer velour pads.

Oct 29, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #1,190 of 2,849

Quote:
@dsnuts,

Those are the Beyer velours, right?  They're open to just be stuffed with a bit more padding?

No they are sealed. I suppose I can cut a hole in there and stuff it with a bit more material but what I did is easier and I noticed this did not affect the highs in any way. The sound is very much the same but now because they are a bit more plush, I noticed my ears won't vibrate because they are not touching the drivers. Which was a cool thing. Vibrating ears hahaha. .But in exchange I definitely noticed a bit wider stage. The stage on the HTF600s aren't lacking at all but this just adds to an already mid wide sound stage. I like it...I am listening to this right now and the bass hits them lows and the highs are right there. Aha love it.
Love cranking this one.

@ RPGwizard. You might want to make your custom pads a bit plush me thinks. More comfy like pillows on your head. It is awesome you can make them as plush as you want.

Oct 29, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #1,191 of 2,849
@dsnuts,

So no downside and all upside to the extra padding, eh?

I should get both my pairs on Tuesday.  Ultimately, I think the velour decision will be based on how much the pleather causes me to sweat and how good the cans sound and how often I'll be using them vs my DT880's and HD650's.  

On one hand, spending 20-25 bucks on new pads is pretty trivial, but it is almost as much as the cans themselves. 

Oct 29, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #1,192 of 2,849
well it is like this. Are the velours a 100% necessity? The answer is no. But once you have them most guys will not want to go back to the Pleather pads. It just adds to the comfort level and uncovers some of the highs that the original pleather pads somewhat cover up..The Beyer pads have holes on the bottom of the cups which give you 100% of what the drivers will emit.. I did notice how the highs actually have more definition and balances out the overall sounds.  This is one detail the guys that just use the original pleather will not notice. Only when you get the velours it is noticeable.

That being said. There are a few guys that prefer the sounds using the pleather.. More Bass pressure and you ears will vibrate like mad.

Oct 29, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #1,194 of 2,849
Received my latest pair! Connected it to the PC and going to let it burnnnnnn!!!!

Just put up my AD700s on auction at eBay! :p
Next up, the SRH440s....

Oct 29, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #1,195 of 2,849
BTW, any news on the velour pads?!? No one seems to have them yet (without having to pay outrageous shipping charges! :p

Oct 29, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #1,197 of 2,849

Quote:
@dsnuts,

So no downside and all upside to the extra padding, eh?

I should get both my pairs on Tuesday.  Ultimately, I think the velour decision will be based on how much the pleather causes me to sweat and how good the cans sound and how often I'll be using them vs my DT880's and HD650's.  

On one hand, spending 20-25 bucks on new pads is pretty trivial, but it is almost as much as the cans themselves. 

I'm curious to hear your impressions of these Panny's next to your HD 650's. I haven't listened to the 650's in a few weeks, but from memory, the 650 has a similar character only more refined with superior dynamics - tighter punchier bass and a little less dark (treble recessed). I've decided that I don't like the sound of these Panny's (too dark and muddled), but I'm reserving final judgement until I get the velour pads in a couple of weeks (ETA).

Oct 29, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #1,198 of 2,849

Quote:
Ah, that is what I was looking for! Thanks.

Now another question 
smily_headphones1.gif
 hope you don't mind (I've already tried a few headphones and want to get it right now)
- I asked about the SRH440, but in my top 5 list the Shure is now replaced by the KRK KNS-6400.
Any idea about those?

Or can someone else compare The Pany's with the KRK? 

Greetings,

I didn't own the 6400s and the HTF600s at the same time, but they're completely different from each other.  The Panasonics are noticeably more comfortable, quite a bit warmer and substantially less fatiguing (in terms of both sound and comfort).  The 6400s are not bass heavy, and the mid/treble section (don't ask for specific frequencies; I'm not that good) was fatiguing (perhaps strident is an appropriate term here). If I were given a choice between buying the 6400s or the HTF600s again, I'd choose the Panasonics in a heartbeat.  However, if you've got a little extra cash, I'd skip the 6400s and go straight for the 8400s; I'd probably pick the 8400s over the HTF600s.  The 8400s are quite well balanced, and have well extended treble without being fatiguing.  They also reproduce drums very well (though I would not describe them as bass light or heavy).

Oct 30, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #1,199 of 2,849
I just recieved mine today from Amazon.com and I have to say that out of the box I was pretty impressed with the sound as they are only $30.
blink.gif
I am currently burning them in and I will post my impressions later on.

Oct 30, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #1,200 of 2,849
I've listened extensively to the KRK 6400 and these Panasonic HTF600. They are pretty completely different. However, funny you should mention Shure, because the KRK sound almost *exactly* like the Shure SRH840, except the KRK have a lot less bass impact. But the detail, shimmery highs, powerful mids, it's all there just like in the 840. They even look and feel like the $200 SRH840 when you put on the memory foam pads. This was the setup I had for quite a while and loved every minute of it. I've got it listed for sale now, but only because I want to try more expensive cans. It's an unstoppable juggernaut of detail and mids at under $100.

Quote:
Ah, that is what I was looking for! Thanks.

Now another question 
smily_headphones1.gif
 hope you don't mind (I've already tried a few headphones and want to get it right now)
- I asked about the SRH440, but in my top 5 list the Shure is now replaced by the KRK KNS-6400.
Any idea about those?

Or can someone else compare The Pany's with the KRK? 

Greetings,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back