The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Oct 28, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #1,171 of 2,849
If I paid $150 for these I would be disappointed, mostly for the build quality.  For the $27 I did pay I am extremely pleased with them.  I haven't tried a lot of different sets, but comparing them to my HDJ-1000's If they were the same price I would pick the HDJ's, even though the HTF's actually have a sound stage, now if that price were $150, I would feel ripped off, which actually that is how I feel about the HDJ's.

Switching between these and the Q701's I really miss the detail of the 701's for most music, but there are a few tracks that I'm glad to be missing detail.  I'll keep looking for more detailed cans to cover the opposite spectrum of music than what the 701's do well but these are part of the collection now and I certainly don't regret the purchase.

Oct 29, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #1,172 of 2,849
It's funny that the HD800's keep getting the mention around here on Headfi..
I'm certain that some people would swear by them. However, I had the pleasure of auditioning them the other day with the Bellari HA540 amp, which had enough juice to power a small country
wink_face.gif
   The source was my Iphone 4 with bass heavy Massive Full-On Psytrance, with tracks by DNA, Ananda Shake and Electric Universe (anyone who's anyone on that scene has to know who these are) ..

So here's my take:  Comfort level... Sublime .. absolutely sublime.. I don't think I've ever worn anything more comfy and non-intrusive as these things.. and I've had the XB500's which are raved as one of the most comfortable headphones out there.. Construction.. Wow... that's all I can say, sheer brilliance there.. From the headband, the earpads, cushions, the visible drivers and sheer magnitude of these things.. it's really un-worldly to experience wearing and holding them.. In fact, they're so overwhelming.. when I held them.. I actually held them for a minute before I put them on.. trying just to figure out if I should listen to music through them or use them to go back in time..
atsmile.gif

So.. those are the pluses for construction..

As for sound... Well.. they're definitely Hi-Fi headphones.. on that there is no dispute... Wide WIDE WIIIIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDDDEEEEEEE soundstage.. very airy, engulfing surrounding, surprisingly warm, laid back and soothing..  Very natural sounding headphones, no doubt..

Now, is the sound worth $1500.000 in my opinion, No.  With construction in mind.. $900 - $1000 realistically speaking is fair..
The Drawbacks.. well, they leak.. not all that easy to drive, even amped.. and they LEAK...  I wouldn't call the HD800's a fun headphone by any means.. they are too Hi-Fi to be fun.. Hell, I love my SRH440's, and I can tell you that they're not a fun pair of headphones..

I think for all round good-to-go headphones, those Panasonics sound like a steal..

Also, for those who are looking for a competitor for the HD650 and HD800's, I give you the Grado PS500 for on-ear design, which sounded better than the HD800 on all aspects (less the soundstage) and for what, $500 Retail..  And for Closed Back Circumaural design, I give you the almighty Shure SRH940.  Truly, Truly underrated headphones and well underpriced - For $350 retail and $270ish online/street... if you have $1000 - $1500 to spend on headphones, give the Grado PS500 or the SRH940 a try.. most likely you'd get one, or the other.. or both before you buy the HD800.. and would still have money to burn on a portable amp and drinks..

But hey.. we're discussing budget cans... right... Yeah.. those Panasonics... look sexy..

Oct 29, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #1,173 of 2,849

Quote:
After many searches that did not turn up a retailer that would ship to Canada, I found a reseller off Amazon.com with a fairly reasonable shipping rate to Canada. It was about $45 all in, and hopefully I won't get assessed any duties/taxes when it arrives here.  
I'll post my impressions after some initial listening, burn in, and lengthy listening sessions. 

Finally got my Pannys, and listening to them while it's cold and wet outside. Ahh, Vancouver
rolleyes.gif

Oct 29, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #1,174 of 2,849
It was inevitable, people would catch wind of this and come to shoot it down. "What you mean your Supra is as good as my Lotus!" "It's just as fast but you will never know the sweetness of hand-stitched leather my friend"
o2smile.gif

Oct 29, 2011 at 5:28 AM Post #1,175 of 2,849

Quote:
It was inevitable, people would catch wind of this and come to shoot it down. "What you mean your Supra is as good as my Lotus!" "It's just as fast but you will never know the sweetness of hand-stitched leather my friend"
o2smile.gif

Hm... actually I do have this mindset, but I ain't one to judge headphones just by leather 
o2smile.gif

Just like how speed is only one aspect of driving; there's still handling, suspension, gear-change/acceleration etc. etc.... some of which cheaper cars just can't accomplish at this day and age 
confused_face.gif

Oct 29, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #1,176 of 2,849
I like the car analogy.

Headphones, as with cars, obey the law of diminishing returns. Most people can be perfectly happy with the RP-HTF600, UR55, or Porta Pro. They sound good. In car terms, they are the Honda Accord, Chevy Malibu, and Toyota Camry of the headphone world.

The Malibu is fine for commuting to work, but on the weekend, I want a BMW.

Oct 29, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #1,178 of 2,849

Quote:
Can someone compare these to SRH440's? Or give me some links?

If you have listened to both please compare the sound quality and the difference in sound (fun, natural etc)...

Greetings,

The SRH440 is a great phone for home use. They isolate well, balanced well, nothing really stick out so far as sound signature goes..They have a very smooth sound to them.. They do games and movies well and I would say they are a better sounding and a better deal  than a AT M50.. I didn't realize just how recessed the mids on the M50s are until I did a head to head on these 2 headphones.  The Panasonics have a more forward warm fuller sound signature and are more dynamic in the bass department.  A signature many would consider a more funner easy listening sound..

For more critical listening and detail the SRH440s are a better alternative.. But if you want to to feel your bass notes and have a command in the lower octaves that will shake your ears the HTF600 is a blast to listen to your music with. Has a wider stage, lighter more comfortable, and does games and movies a step better than the SRH440.

Oct 29, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #1,179 of 2,849
@Dsnuts

I already have the Superlux 668B, so it would be best to go for the Panasonics?
Because the Superlux and Shure are both natural (movies, games) headphones, or is there a big enough difference between the Superlux and Shure?

Greetings,

Oct 29, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #1,180 of 2,849

Quote:
@Dsnuts

I already have the Superlux 668B, so it would be best to go for the Panasonics?
Because the Superlux and Shure are both natural (movies, games) headphones, or is there a big enough difference between the Superlux and Shure?

Greetings,

Well you are talking about apples and oranges. 2 completely different sound signatures..My Samson Sr850 and my HTF600s are completely different.. I love using my Samsons for gaming.. But for my music, I like listening to my HTF600s. The Bass is bigger, fuller, more dynamic on the HTF600s. For music that require a bit more bass end the HTF600s are a blast to listen to music with. So different is good. It is simply a different sounding phone more so than similar. In that regard yes I would recommend trying out the HTF600s for something different. Plus it wont cost so much.

Oct 29, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #1,181 of 2,849

Quote:
In that regard yes I would recommend trying out the HTF600s for something different. 

Ah, that is what I was looking for! Thanks.

Now another question 
smily_headphones1.gif
 hope you don't mind (I've already tried a few headphones and want to get it right now)
- I asked about the SRH440, but in my top 5 list the Shure is now replaced by the KRK KNS-6400.
Any idea about those?

Or can someone else compare The Pany's with the KRK? 

Greetings,

Oct 29, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #1,182 of 2,849
My mom will attempt to make some pads tomorrow for me, only seem to have 2 choices for color though, either brown or red. I might go for red just because my comp chair got a black & red color pattern so it would fit nicely with that. :p

Oct 29, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #1,183 of 2,849

Quote:
Ah, that is what I was looking for! Thanks.

Now another question 
smily_headphones1.gif
 hope you don't mind (I've already tried a few headphones and want to get it right now)
- I asked about the SRH440, but in my top 5 list the Shure is now replaced by the KRK KNS-6400.
Any idea about those?

Or can someone else compare The Pany's with the KRK? 

Greetings,

I think maybe Marximus might be able to answer this one for you.. I haven't tried the KRK cans but from what I hear they are bass light so that is a matter of preference..

Quote:
My mom will attempt to make some pads tomorrow for me, only seem to have 2 choices for color though, either brown or red. I might go for red just because my comp chair got a black & red color pattern so it would fit nicely with that. :p

OH YEA. RED!!!!!!!!! That will look cool! Forget that brown. How many guys will have RED pads? Exactly!

Oct 29, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #1,185 of 2,849

Quote:
Yea and also it will look nice with the black leather on the underside of of the pads. :)

OOo. Hey man maybe she is onto something there.. Forget the Beyer velours.  Here comes the RPGmoms custom velours. I would pay $20 for that!  Red. Now that just makes a statement imo. Let us know how that comes I am very interested in how that looks on your phones.

I took a good look at the Beyer pads and I am actually certain what causes the better more defined highs to happen with the Beyer velours is the holes on the bottom of the velours. Don't know if that is something you can experiment with but I am thinking it might end up sounding similar to these beyer pads if you threw in some hole cut outs on the bottom of the your moms velours.

Trying out some extra foam piece to throw onto the cups now.. Will throw up some pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back