The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Oct 28, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #1,156 of 2,849
Has anyone compared these to the Koss UR-55 side by side? I bet the UR-55 would have a better soundstage, but less bass and more forward upper mids.
Too bad the UR-55 isn't all that comfortable. I imagine the sound clarity is very similar. UR-55 is quite good for the asking price. Often on sale for $30-$50.

Oct 28, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #1,157 of 2,849
Thanks Sanji!  very helpful
beerchug.gif

Oct 28, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #1,158 of 2,849

Quote:
I know the velour pads are really hard to come by, these guys just got 20 pairs in stock, with 45 more due in a few weeks. The owner emailed me today as I told him to let me know when they get in!

http://www.pro-sound.com/BS/SBEYEP4.html

Sweetwater confirmed their Beyer pads are arriving the week of Nov. 13. They are $18.50 + free shipping. I'm already in the cue and happy to wait.

FWIW, those Pearstone pads look very nice too. Personally, I don't think the holes inside the Beyer pads do anything...

Oct 28, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #1,159 of 2,849

Quote:
Has anyone compared these to the Koss UR-55 side by side? I bet the UR-55 would have a better soundstage, but less bass and more forward upper mids.
Too bad the UR-55 isn't all that comfortable. I imagine the sound clarity is very similar. UR-55 is quite good for the asking price. Often on sale for $30-$50.

Just for kicks, I ordered a pair of UR55's and should have them next Wednesday. I paid $23 (plus $7 shipping) for them.

Oct 28, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #1,160 of 2,849

Quote:
Alright, I managed to get a nice, long audition from my friend's 200 hour-clocked HTF600s. I must say, for $30 (SGD$60 for my case) it is a VERY good deal. Mids have a lot of musicality, soundstage is very nicely projected and bass... a joy to listen to.

But, um... 

As with all "budget killers", one thing I noticed to be severely lacking is treble projection. Very prevalent in the Superlux line of headphones as well as a shortcoming in Dunu's ever-popular Trident IEM, the problem seems to be also present within the HTF600. From what I can remember, there was a noticeable roll-off and was lacking in sharpness.

Now, I'll compare it with the M50 and the HFI-580, the headphones that the Panny was the supposed "cheaper alternative" to. Again, like the Superlux and the Trident, the HTF600 are definitely a bout of awesomeness at a budget, doing many things that most cans at a similar or higher price are unable to do. However, when compared to to the $100 to $150 giants, some of its flaws are revealed.

As stated, there's the treble, which frankly is actually better the Superlux's grainy funkiness but is still a pretty big weakness. Compared to the M50's treble, the Pannys lose out in detail, but the M50s have this annoying imbalance within the high frequencies which make it somewhat harsh and weird to listen to, so it pretty much equals out against the Panny's. Mids are like the M50's; slightly recessed for not overly so, retain the M50's great layering properties but as stated, lack in detail. Don't get me wrong here, detail retrieval is still very, very good, just not up to the standards of the M50 or the Superluxes. As for bass, surprisingly it actually EQUALS the M50 in terms of quality, but in quantity the Pannys does have more. I would say about the AKG518's level?

Against the HFI-580, sadly it isn't as close a competitor. The Ultrasone's bass are superior in response and detail, with the Pannys again little a tad bit extra quantity. As for mids, the Pannys are definitely more forward but again lack in detail as compared to the Pannys, but definitely have more musicality to them due to the HFI-580's "robotic" approach to vocals and wind instruments. I don't think I have to speak for the treble.

Sure, the HTF600 is a great alternative to these $150 options, but are they a "better" alternative? In my book, not exactly. But a good fight. A close fight.

In short, a great find in a world filled with undiscovered gems, but like Superlux and Dunu, are just shy of being true "giant killers". These will go into my list of great budget cans, alongside the DJ100, Superlux and the Portapro.

Well considering the HTF600 are being compared to and judged against headphones 4X to 8X the price I feel these cans are doing more than they should at $35 SHIPPED.

And as we've discussed before price is not an indicator of a headphones performance......it's an indicator of the competition  the company is targeting.

In the case of the HTF600....Panasonic is picking a fight with headphones much larger(as price and build quality would indicate).....and it's not losing by KO.....it only loses by judges decision.....meaning it's a very capable fighter.

Oct 28, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #1,161 of 2,849
^^^^^^^^

Thats my Friday analogy for the week.
wink.gif

Oct 28, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #1,162 of 2,849

Quote:
Well considering the HTF600 are being compared to and judged against headphones 4X to 8X the price I feel these cans are doing more than they should at $35 SHIPPED.

No, I highly doubt that they compare to headphones that cost 4-8x more. 

Stop giving misleading impressions please. 

According to some of the more honest reviews around (where price isn't a major concern), the HTF600 lack the finesse of higher end bass headphones. They're characteristic of most low end bassy headphones - overly warm sound, dulled highs, lots of boomy bass, etc. They are priced lower than most bassy low-end headphones but that don't make them giant killers. 

Oct 28, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #1,163 of 2,849
I still have not received mine so cannot give a review or opinion, however 4x more is only a $120 can. From what my good bud says, these things are definite competitors for $100-$250 cans. But until I hear them, cannot comment. To note, he has decent headphones in his collection so I cannot wait to give mine a run. Hope I am not disappointed.

One thing many need to learn, do not doubt anything unless you hear it for yourself. That is as bad as making a positive blind statement about something you have never heard. While I am optimistic they will be great for the cash, I wait with an open mind as it could go either way :)

Quote:

No, I highly doubt that they compare to headphones that cost 4-8x more. 

Stop giving misleading impressions please. 

According to some of the more honest reviews around (where price isn't a major concern), the HTF600 lack the finesse of higher end bass headphones. They're characteristic of most low end bassy headphones - overly warm sound, dulled highs, lots of boomy bass, etc. They are priced lower than most bassy low-end headphones but that don't make them giant killers. 

Oct 28, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #1,165 of 2,849

Quote:
I still have not received mine so cannot give a review or opinion, however 4x more is only a $120 can. From what my good bud says, these things are definite competitors for $100-$250 cans. But until I hear them, cannot comment. To note, he has decent headphones in his collection so I cannot wait to give mine a run. Hope I am not disappointed.

One thing many need to learn, do not doubt anything unless you hear it for yourself. That is as bad as making a positive blind statement about something you have never heard. While I am optimistic they will be great for the cash, I wait with an open mind as it could go either way :)

I just think that this thread can be very misleading to newbies. 

Oct 28, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #1,166 of 2,849
It could be if they have not heard a lot of different headphones, but for $30, it may be the perfect place for a newb to start his collection. Sure hope mine are in the box tonight when I get home!

Oct 28, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #1,168 of 2,849
I see it more as a good cheap allrounder than good starter headphone. Enough bass for any bass-centric genres and not too much bloated bass for non-bass centric genres to suffer. Not too recessed mids and neither too forward nor too recessed highs. Soundstage about average. 

People need to get into their head how important our own personal tastes in sound is. Why some value this headphone as like 150~$200 while others doesn't think it sounds anywhere $100 headphone. There's no such thing as giving an objective "value" of a headphone, this always remains subjective. You can describe the headphone in an objective way saying it sounds a bit on the warmer side, slightly recessed highs, boosted bass etc, but you can only give subjective value for a headphone based on your own preferences. Well maybe the "objective" value would be the average subjective value based on like 100 people's opinions or something.

Like for example the expensiest headphone I've tried was DT770 Pro/80 which I paid about 150 EUR for. I paid 35 EUR for the Panasonics and it sounds better to me as it sounds more according to my own prefers and my prefers have started surfacing to me after trying different headphones as well as the time I've spent EQing. I don't EQ to achieve perfect flatness, I EQ according to what my ears seems to enjoy best so. We all have our own optimal sound we're looking for and it's highly invidual exactly how we want it to sound like. I like a "slanting" slope from lows to highs and absolutely hate V-shaped frequency responses for example. I agree for example having highs more exposed often leads to better resolution and detail and instrument separation, but unfortunately that's not what my ears are looking for, I (my ears) actually enjoy the bit less detailed warm sound more as an example. Another example would be soundstage, I prefer an up-front sounding stage rather than a very laid-back / distant sounding stage where it sounds like sitting in the crowd further back in the rows rather than sounding like being on-stage with the sounds surrounding you. For another person that might be the total opposite, say AKG K70x / HD800 lovers for example.

It's when you start realizing this, hanging around in this forum becomes a lot easier.

Oct 28, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #1,170 of 2,849
Well the way I see it. There are many that love spending $1500 on the HD800 because they can and to justify the cost, I can certainly guarantee the owners will swear by them but I have seen plenty of guys that sampled them and say they prefer this can or that over the HD800 and would not spend that much for them. There is no way everyone is gonna like the HTF600 but for being $30 heck. They sound great, can play games better than 98% of gaming headphones, and because of the big bass makes movie watching simply a pleasure.

If anything these are a must for guys that want a simple cheap do it all can..That alone for the cost is worth the money spent. What you guys determine the actual value in sound. Well that is just all about your sound preference. At least we all can agree they sound better than what we all pay for them.. It would suck if it was the other way around.. The M50 for example. I say they are more closer to their original cost in value vs the bloated price they are selling them for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back