The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Oct 27, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #1,127 of 2,849
That ModMic looks interesting. I might just pick one up to give my Lambda an unintrusive, removable boom mic. If that cord's as long as I think it is, I shouldn't have any cable routing issues...my desk's enough of a cable spaghetti mess as is. (I'm not as sure that I'd put one on the HTF600, but that's mostly because it's acting as my portable headphone with a computer that already has a built-in array mic.)

As for Battlefield 3...I'll wait. I've already got five other Battlefield games to play anyway (1942, Vietnam, BF2, 2142, and Bad Company 2, the last of which I wasn't exactly thrilled with by comparison to its predecessors). I might start getting back into BF2 if not for my being distracted by UT 2004 at the moment (and also due to general lack of teamwork and coordination on public servers).

Oct 27, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #1,128 of 2,849
I mostly like fast paced UT scifi shooter style FPS so that's why I haven't picked up BF3, I very much suck at tactical FPS games as it's not my style of playing. It's too frustrating for me when I try play Battlefield when I get owned compared to how much I own in UT. :p

Oct 27, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #1,129 of 2,849

Quote:
Very nice mods.. For gaming.. I would absolutely advise the velours for you. I like how there is added air to the sounds when gaming. Almost sounds like a open phone. Adding to the comfort level as well. That mic I might have to try that for myself as my clip on mic people are just complaining that my voice quality is not good. Have to go in and out of vent just to get the volume up. Speaking of gaming.. EVERYONE needs to get BF3.. If you guys play one game a year.. This game has to be it. Just simply phenomenal!! =SOC= 24/7 CQ Maps  My clan 64 man PC server.. Look for it if you guys play the PC version.. I hear the console versions are all playing smooth too..The HTF600 sounds stupendous with the game.  Bullets, explosions, the carnage is insane!

I played a lot on the =SOC= Servers with Battlefield Bad Company 2/Vietnam.  I should have the game by Friday and can't wait.  The only reason I haven't purchased it yet is because:

A)  I haven't had time to play it, and

B)  I'm waiting on my Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler to arrive today so that I can overclock my aging Phenom II X3 720 to around 3.8 or higher.  I wanted to make sure that I'm getting the best performance I can from the game.  My CPU is paired with 4GB of DDR3 1333 Ram and a 5870. 

Dsnuts, I have 2 questions for you,

1)  What rig are you running for Battlefield 3 and what settings and resolution are you playing with?  What's your estimate on what settings I'll be able to push @ 1920x1080?

2)  Have you compared the HTF600s to the Samson SR850s in Battlefield 3?  Which do you prefer?

Actually that was 4 questions LOL.  But yeah.

Thanks!

Oct 27, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #1,130 of 2,849
I7 920 Running at 4Ghz.  6 Gig DDr3 1600mhz ram, GTX580.. 120hz 27inch Acer 3D gaming.. I play it in 2D mode @ 120hz. Getting 100-150fps.

Using my Samsons at the moment. The big maps 3D surround is awesome. I used the HTF600s very nice in game as well. I am doing some more burn in going for 200 hours.

I like both but the wider stage on the samsons give a bit more realism to the sounds. More spacial. You should be able to run fine with your settings. Remember on your 1920X1080. as long as you are getting 60 frames it will run smooth for you.. Try MSi afterburner to see how many frames you are getting in game. You can OC with it too and set fans.  Run your game on med to low setting for higher frames.. Smoother gameplay means more kills.

Oct 27, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #1,131 of 2,849
The soundstage felt too narrow for me with the HTF600. I didn't find myself picking out footsteps or where gunshots are coming from any better than with my desktop speakers to be completely honest. The HTF890 actually sounds more natural in game do to the wider soundstage unlike the HTF600 it actually sounds like you are in the middle of a battlefield.

Oct 27, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #1,132 of 2,849
Ya i like using my HT770s for games too. I think for these bigger maps the wider stage gives a better sense of what is happening. Though I think there might be too much explosions going on on some maps.. The only thing I can hear is just BOOM BOOM and more BOOM.. It is nuts. especially indoor environments.

Oct 27, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #1,133 of 2,849
The soundstage is slightly on the narrow side since it's so up-front sounding, I think it has to do with the driver being so close to the ear, if you drag the cups just slightly outwards from your ears, it already starts sounding a little wider as the drivers move further away from the ears, I think this is what I figure made me dislike D1100 as the drivers were positioned very deep inside the cups (maybe like 1.6~2cm) and that's the reason behind the huge soundstage for a closed headphone but it was like too "distant" sounding for my liking.

Hopefully I could get my mom to make those custom pads for me tomorrow, I might see if she could try make them just tiny bit thicker so my ears wouldn't be so close to the driver for a wider sounding stage perhaps.

My plan for the pads are:

- Like half of the pads or the underside being made of leather/pleather and the front of velour (or something similar)
- Slightly bigger innerdiameter for the ears (ie smaller/more narrow padded area)
- Slightly thicker pads to get my ears slightly further away from the driver

Oct 27, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #1,134 of 2,849

Quote:
The soundstage is slightly on the narrow side since it's so up-front sounding, I think it has to do with the driver being so close to the ear, if you drag the cups just slightly outwards from your ears, it already starts sounding a little wider as the drivers move further away from the ears, I think this is what I figure made me dislike D1100 as the drivers were positioned very deep inside the cups (maybe like 1.6~2cm) and that's the reason behind the huge soundstage for a closed headphone but it was like too "distant" sounding for my liking.

Hopefully I could get my mom to make those custom pads for me tomorrow, I might see if she could try make them just tiny bit thicker so my ears wouldn't be so close to the driver for a wider sounding stage perhaps.

My plan for the pads are:

- Like half of the pads or the underside being made of leather/pleather and the front of velour
- Slightly bigger innerdiameter for the ears (ie smaller/more narrow padded area)
- Slightly thicker pads to get my ears slightly further away from the driver

Good idea.

I was thinking of trying my hand at making my own pads......I know how to use every power tool and do intricate woodworking....how difficult could a sewing machine be?
wink.gif

Oct 27, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #1,135 of 2,849
I might go right away and try adding something on the pads to see how it really starts sounding like if moving drivers a bit more further away from the ears. :)

Oct 27, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #1,137 of 2,849

Quote:
I might go right away and try adding something on the pads to see how it really starts sounding like if moving drivers a bit more further away from the ears. :)

How about making a foam circle and inserting it in the stock pads?  That will bring them out further. Not much room though.  My RX700 has that mod. IT helps.

EDIT. I just did it myself. Definitely widen's the soundstage. Niceeeeeeeeee..

Oct 27, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #1,138 of 2,849

Quote:
How about making a foam circle and inserting it in the stock pads?  That will bring them out further. Not much room though.  My RX700 has that mod. IT helps.

EDIT. I just did it myself. Definitely widen's the soundstage. Niceeeeeeeeee..

Yea I was thinking that too after being unsuccessful finding something that I could just stick on top of the pads. There's actually plenty of room beneath the pads, not very tight at all so you could actually make it stick out quite a lot this way too. What "foam" did you use, I'm having some hard time finding something worth sticking under them, may have to use toiletpaper lol. 

EDIT: Yes it worked nicely! I definitely approve this as a very easy soundstage enhancing mod. Just need a piece of papertowel for each side as that will have the perfect length that you roll into like aprox 1cm wide paper tube/roll and stuff inside:

EDIT2: It might actually have increased the bass response a bit, that's what my early impressions tells me. O.o I would be interested in hearing opinions on this mod from velour pad users.

EDIT3: Seems to provide a more V-shaped frequency response, the midrange seem to step backwards a bit like this.

EDIT4: Make sure at the upper-edge it's tighted very further back inside as otherwise I think you might be covering the upper vents which seems to result in a brighter/thinner sound and less airy soundstage. I seemed to have done so at first, started sounding better when pushing it further back inside the cup (mids come more forward again).

EDIT5: I don't seem to need any EQing anymore after doing this mod. I applied a slight V-curve EQ shape to it before which I don't need to with this mod.

Oct 27, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #1,139 of 2,849

Quote:
Yea I was thinking that too after being unsuccessful finding something that I could just stick on top of the pads. There's actually plenty of room beneath the pads, not very tight at all so you could actually make it stick out quite a lot this way too. What "foam" did you use, I'm having some hard time finding something worth sticking under them, may have to use toiletpaper lol. 

EDIT: Yes it worked nicely! I definitely approve this as a very easy soundstage enhancing mod. Just need a piece of papertowel for each side as that will have the perfect length that you roll into like aprox 1cm wide paper tube/roll and stuff inside:

EDIT: It might actually have increased the bass response a bit, that's what my early impressions tells me. O.o I would be very interested in hearing opinions on this mod from velour pad users.

I used a mouse pad that I had laying around and cut into circles. Not that thick but it gives a nice effect to the sound on these phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back