The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Oct 18, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #646 of 2,849

Quote:
You guys thought about getting some IEMs?  I know there are 2 parties here at headfi. The IEM group and the HP group. I know most if not all you guys are into HPs but if I was working in a cubicle I would be all over an IEM.  I know IEMs aren't for everyone but to me it is so simple. You guys would be surprised how good Iems are how great they block outside noise. It is just you and your music. I have a 30 minute commute and I use one of my Iems and they are awesome. I can even recommend one that is the bassier equivalent to the HTF600s that cost $20.  I suppose in ear stuff is ok for some and not for others.. Well AMD7674 if you need an isolating phone for work. I just ordered a JVC HAM750.  I will let you know how they are once I get them. Maybe something for your work environment without bothering anyone.

Since I use both. I will tell you non IEM users. You guys are missing out on some mind blowing sound that comes form little in ears..It is my opinion but the idea that a Headphone is better and gives better acoustics is actually not correct..I know many of you guys have your reasons.. They bother me or I just can't stand something in my ear.. I heard the excuses..I suppose there is something about having speakers on your head that has a coolness about it but in the end if you truly want isolation. Nothing beats an IEM. IMO.

I can agree with this statement.  Believe it or not, the headphones I use the most are my Bose MIE2i Inner Ears.  Before you kill me because they're Bose, these were the only Inner ears I was able to find that had both excellent sound quality and were VERY COMFORTABLE.  The comfort factor was big for me, I just could not deal with the ones that you have to shove in your ear like the Klipsch Image S4s and others I've tried.  Now because the Bose rests on the edge of your ear (uses wings to stay in), they do not block out sound.  They do however allow me to listen to my music privately and they have a surprisingly good sound stage because of the way they are designed.  I can also up the volume so I don't hear external noise when I want to.  In all honestly though, because of my work environment, I prefer  to be able to hear external noise about 75% of the time.  As far as overall sound quality goes, my Bose Inner Ears are runner up to my HTF600s out of all the headphones I own.  So Dsnuts isn't lying when he says you can get inner ears with exceptional sound quality and I'm sure there are others out there that are even better than my Bose.

Oct 18, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #647 of 2,849

Quote:
thanks for a prompt reply...  I haven't used AD700 to listen to music at all (pure gaming only).
I'm sure they will an upgrade over my falling apart HT455 Panasonics at work. 
I ordered them from Amazon.com ([size=xx-small]Sold by: Amazon Export Sales, Inc)[/size], the shipping was the worst $22 for 2 or $15 for 1 pair to Canada.  With shipping, taxes and all fun stuff it was $94.26USD.   I'm not sure about additional duty charges, brokerage fees...etc.. I'll report once I get them.    However the vendour who is selling pads do not ship to Canada, so I will have to live with the stock pads.   

Is 40hours the period to burn them in?   I belive you said they seem to sound better and better with time.

Mine really started to open up nice at the 50 hour mark once I started to listen to them.

Now they sound better the more I use them.

The HTF600 are better than the HARX700.....I won't say I don't like the HARX700....but the Panasonics are  better.

If you put Dynamat in the cups of your HARX700 I would remove it as it kills all the life those cans have....just remove the felt maybe add a touch of stuffing and be done with it.

Oct 18, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #648 of 2,849
Quote:
Where can I get these in Canada?
Alternatively, where can I get these online that will ship to Canada?

I'm really intrigued and have been following this thread since it was created (thanks Dsnuts). The opinions of head-fi veterans has really added another level of curiousity to these cans...

Quote:
I would think most of the major size retailers would ship to Canada (from US). 

Quote:
I think Armaegis was trying to track one down for Canada and he was saying he can get them but the price of them are more. Which don't surprise me. He was saying $60 instead of what we pay here in the states.. That being said.. OMG are they worth $60. If you can get them delivered to you, knowing what I know about them now I would easily pay that much. It does suck that these aren't as easily available in Canada but seriously. You need to find one. Search my friend search. It will be worth your efforts to get one. If anything just to be the first Canadian to discover these. Wait till you hear these with your favorite tracks.

After many searches that did not turn up a retailer that would ship to Canada, I found a reseller off Amazon.com with a fairly reasonable shipping rate to Canada. It was about $45 all in, and hopefully I won't get assessed any duties/taxes when it arrives here.

I'll post my impressions after some initial listening, burn in, and lengthy listening sessions. 

Oct 18, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #649 of 2,849
Seems like XB500 will still continue be my fav headphone. The HTF600 made me further tweak the EQ settings for XB500 especially in the 250 ~ 1kHz range. You know it's funny how you can't imagine something that would sound better to your ears until you hear it, the EQ settings I had used with XB500 was carefully fineadjusted for a couple of months, yet HTF600 made me realize they still weren't quite optimal. The XB500 responds so great to EQing, comparing stock vs my EQ'd XB500 and it's like a whole new headphone. But yea without EQing I'd probably use the Panasonic, seems like the day I have to get rid of this Audigy 2 ZS card I'll also have to invest in a high quality hardware EQ to replace this almost magical 10-band EQ or the search for a new headphone that would have the sound out of box would just continue, but for now this will do. The midrange is now thanks to the EQ settings wonderfully forward as on the Panasonic with that same attention to detail in vocals and everything so I'm very thankful for these Panasonics to further guide me towards my preferred sound signature.

The mids is really really getting important to me these days, I couldn't stand listening to headphones with recessed midrange, especially something like Denon D1100 or Beyer DT770 Pro/80, Ultrasone PRO 900 eugh! It's what gets the headphones the sense of the "fulliness"/thickness that sounds more realistic in my ears, V-shaped sound signature especially sounds very unrealistic to me, there's "sparkle" that doesn't exist in real-life and things sounds so thin.

How I wish I were able to demo this exact same setup to some1 else, Audigy 2 ZS -> digiZoid ZO amp -> XB500 with the appropriate kX Audio driver settings, it's like the perfect synergy.

Oct 18, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #650 of 2,849
@jto168.. That is the best price I have seen shipped to Canada. .Nice. I am glad you got a hold of one. As a fellow HFI-580 owner you will understand why i have been trying to get ultrasone owners to try them.. Let us know how it stacks up. These will have a different sound than your HFI-580s.. I'm not sure if they will take over your favorite but these are right up your style of can. Big bold bassy and musical.. I was thinking once some of the HFi-580 owners got on board you can tell guys about them and help spread the word..

First thing first..Try them out and see how they stack up to your other cans. I know you own the M50 and the Hfi-580s so these will be a nice addition and a surprise to you for what they cost, what level of sound you are getting..Glad to have you on board and enjoy your new phone. Excited to hear your take on them..

I am thinking it is more difficult to find the velour beyer pads there in Canada.. If anyone can point out where they can be purchased in Canada this will help..

Oct 18, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #651 of 2,849
@RPGWiZaRD: Speaking of EQ, while I'm using Auzentech X-Fi cards instead of old Audigy 2s with kX drivers, is it just me, or do Creative-based cards have rolled-off bass below 40 Hz as some sort of rule for a "flat" EQ or EQ off?

Unusually enough, I can still hear a little 31 Hz with the HTF600s, which I can't say for any other headphone I own without significant EQ and bass boost applied. The overall sound signature at the low end, even without much burn-in (only had them for a few hours), is also making me tweak my Lambda EQ some more to get some emphasis on that rumbly subwoofer sound in a fashion that isn't overpowering, just enough to bring it into the foreground instead of the background.

Like you, hearing the HTF600's sound signature helps me refine my EQ settings to have things sound just right across a wide variety of music, though I'm just getting started and said HTF600s still await much more burn-in.

Oct 18, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #652 of 2,849
Wouldn't say so no, the XB500 that I use I don't need to boost the 31Hz slider whatsoever above 125Hz slider and the frequencies come out roughly as loud and both innerfidelity and headphone.com shows a frequency response graph for the XB500 having an even boost in the bass from like around 15Hz to 300Hz. XB500 and XB700 are the first headphones I've tried that didn't require a boost especially at 31Hz compared to 125Hz though as say 99% of headphones have at least a little rolled-off bass at 31Hz. Those headphones that have pretty much flat response down to like 20Hz all the way from 100Hz or so are quite few, you might be able to count them all on the fingers of your both hands.

Oct 18, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #653 of 2,849

Quote:
@jto168.. That is the best price I have seen shipped to Canada. .Nice. I am glad you got a hold of one. As a fellow HFI-580 owner you will understand why i have been trying to get ultrasone owners to try them.. Let us know how it stacks up. These will have a different sound than your HFI-580s.. I'm not sure if they will take over your favorite but these are right up your style of can. Big bold bassy and musical.. I was thinking once some of the HFi-580 owners got on board you can tell guys about them and help spread the word..

First thing first..Try them out and see how they stack up to your other cans. I know you own the M50 and the Hfi-580s so these will be a nice addition and a surprise to you for what they cost, what level of sound you are getting..Glad to have you on board and enjoy your new phone. Excited to hear your take on them..

I am thinking it is more difficult to find the velour beyer pads there in Canada.. If anyone can point out where they can be purchased in Canada this will help..

This thread and your enthusiasm for the HTF600 definitely helped out a lot. I also share your experience with the HFI-580 and M50 and your comments about the Panasonics sound like they make a very good complimentary set of cans. 

I'll keep following this thread until I receive them and let everyone know how they do.

Yes - the next thing will be velour beyer pads. Since moving from the HD555 to M50/HFI-580, I find I really miss the comfort levels that velour offers. I'll be looking hard to see if I can get these at a decent price shipped to Canada. If not, I'll have to send to my friend in WA and get him to mule it up to me :)

Oct 18, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #654 of 2,849
I just got my HTF600's in. My first impressions are good. They may not be quite as nice sounding as my Shure's (to me), but I think they'll make a great competitor in my product experiment.

And I just realized they really are semi-open. They feel a little on the delicate/cheap side, but I guess you can expect that from $25 headphones. I agree with the comments that the earcups shouldn't be on such a loose hinge, the cups automatically fall if you hold the headphones up. Not a big deal, but not very pretty on the banana stand.

Finally, and this is just an initial observation as I have had no burn-in with them, I feel like while there is definitely a nice bass response it is not as abundant as the Shure's or Sennheiser's. I presume this may be a pre burn-in characteristic, but I am not sure. Can anyone confirm that the bass becomes a little more apparent as time goes by?

Oct 18, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #655 of 2,849
That sounds like a plan.. The velours add to the sound and the comfort. Oh the comfort. Even without them you will appreciate how clamp light the phones are. While I love the sounds from my DJ1s I can't say the same for the comfort level.. Nothing like clamps on your head that squeeze your eyeballs together.  There is a good chance the velours would actually fit your HFI-580s as well. Don't know how much that will affect the sounds but the cup sizes are about the same.

@NamelessPFG.. Burn them in my friend   Burn!!

@RPGwizard. I admire your passion for your XB500s. I know about how they eQ amazingly well. You fight the good fight and let others know how you hear it. Here is a man that is passionate about his sounds.

Oct 18, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #656 of 2,849

Quote:
I just got my HTF600's in. My first impressions are good. They may not be quite as nice sounding as my Shure's (to me), but I think they'll make a great competitor in my product experiment.

And I just realized they really are semi-open. They feel a little on the delicate/cheap side, but I guess you can expect that from $25 headphones. I agree with the comments that the earcups shouldn't be on such a loose hinge, the cups automatically fall if you hold the headphones up. Not a big deal, but not very pretty on the banana stand.

Finally, and this is just an initial observation as I have had no burn-in with them, I feel like while there is definitely a nice bass response it is not as abundant as the Shure's or Sennheiser's. I presume this may be a pre burn-in characteristic, but I am not sure. Can anyone confirm that the bass becomes a little more apparent as time goes by?

hahaha ya like you wouldn't believe. Keep it burning. Like I said they are actually bass light out of box.. Wait till tomorrow and then try them. Overnight

Oct 18, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #657 of 2,849

Quote:

Hey you & i have have same headphones. My initial impressions were same as yours.
750dj has harder & deeper hitting bass, more resolution & definition, more treble. Pannys overall sound softer compared to 750dj
But the pannys definitely have a bigger soundstage & much forward midrange. They are way more comfortable too.

Oct 18, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #658 of 2,849

Quote:
Thanks gelocks...
frown.gif

I just called amazon.com to cancel the order.  It was already too late, but they said I can refuse to accept the package which would be sent back to them.  Good thing I won't be getting any penalty for it.  oh well.... 

Well... I still use mine at work!!! LOL
Screw them!! :wink:
But I usually put them on with a certain type of music (such as dubstep, electronica, etc.) and usually
after 4:30pm (when the office starts clearing out)

I love them though.
Comparing this:

http://www.archive.org/details/Zomboy-NeverSayDieVol.13

with both the Shures 940s and the Panasonics... completely different experience.

I also have the Audio Technicas and seriously, these blows them out of the water... but again, the semi-open
design a leakage killed it for me. But again... I'll keep using them. :wink:

Oct 18, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #659 of 2,849
Nice share..Actually I think Gelocks link. The Tracks are really good to loosen up your HTF600s.. I use a looping DnB track myself..They work a lot better than you would imagine.

My drivers are vibrating with some violence on those tracks. Fierce just fierce.!!

Oct 18, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #660 of 2,849
Well here's my conclusions about HTF600 cons & pros against XB500 for me:

Pros:

- More forward mid & highs
- Bass stays controlled despite packing big amount punch and impact (for me it become almost too controlled)

Cons:

- Not as comfortable unless buying velour pads  (becomes slightly expensier than XB500)
- Slightly worse isolation (about avg/slightly below avg for semi-closed design)
- Bass extension (Avg/good for a "basshead" headphone)
- Soundstage about average if it had been fully closed headphone, slightly below average comparing only semi-closed designs (a little too small & "up-front" for gaming if playing say competitively but may have its benefits for some people when listening to music => engaging, fun, like being on the dancefloor)
- Responds very bad to EQing (quite a decisive factor to an EQ maniac like me)

Buying point: Great quality of lows, mids and highs for the price (mids especially). Good allrounder for very cheap that will handle all genres at least acceptably (very great if price taken into account) especially with the strong bass that doesn't become too overhelming.

Rating with price etc taken into account ( scale 0 - 10 )

HTF600

Without EQ: 8.5 ("Subjective" value based on satisfaction ~$150)
With EQing: 9.0 ("Subjective" value based on satisfaction ~$175)

XB500

Without EQ: 7.8 ("Subjective" value based on satisfaction ~$80)
With EQing: 9.5 ("Subjective" value based on satisfaction ~$200)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back