The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Oct 18, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #661 of 2,849

Quote:
That sounds like a plan.. The velours add to the sound and the comfort. Oh the comfort. Even without them you will appreciate how clamp light the phones are. While I love the sounds from my DJ1s I can't say the same for the comfort level.. Nothing like clamps on your head that squeeze your eyeballs together.  There is a good chance the velours would actually fit your HFI-580s as well. Don't know how much that will affect the sounds but the cup sizes are about the same.

My first impressions are that clamping force is a bit higher than I'm used to and the pads are kind of small (not quite enough room for my ears), but I have a feeling that has to do with the force distribution and stiffness of the stock pads.

I don't know how much they'll change with burn-in (been burning them in for the past few hours at 50% volume on my notebook, then changed tracks and decided to go full-bore 100% volume in the hopes that it won't blow the drivers running from a notebook or USB-powered audio device jack), but right now, I feel pretty comfortable with the sound signature. Bass that goes deep, is punchy, and has some subwoofery reverb to it, but without significantly recessed mids and treble, either. With that out of the way, I'm tempted to order some of those velour pads, because I love velour when given the option, and it might distribute the clamping force better so that it doesn't feel as head-pinching. (I guess that's what happens when you get used to AD700s and then Lambdas, the latter of which has next to no clamping force, yet still maintains a good fit due to the shape of the pads. The sheer comfort helps me forget that I'm wearing headphones sometimes.)

And for the heck of it, I compared the size of the HTF600's pads with those of my old Sansui SS-20, which is in dire need of new pads and will likely get some hand-me-downs when the time comes. The size is roughly the same, except the SS-20's have more defined corners. Still, I think I could get them to fit with a bit of work, which might improve the sound for all I know. Just another reason to get a set of those Beyer pads (maybe even two!) when they come back in stock.

Oct 18, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #662 of 2,849
got mine in, I will say i was very doubtful, having had a few other panasonic headphones before, but these are really nice sounding. warm, almost vintage akg mids, nice extension on highs and lows. i did a quick comparison to an rx900 ( dont have my rx700 atm), the rx900 has a larger stage, extends further on highs and lows, but doesnt have as nice midrange. the jvc also 'feels' much nicer. however, the panny sounds very nice in mids, almost as good on other parts, and costs less. 

Oct 18, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #663 of 2,849
To all the guys that just got these.. I am glad you all finally got them and are burning them in. At least I hope you all are. Now you guys can understand why these deserve a discovery. You guys are the first group of guys that have these and are now discovering them..As far as I can tell the HTF600 did not exist before all you guys bought them.. Well it existed but was never discovered. What better place than Head fi and the members to discover a gem like this..

Anyhow. I wanted to thank all the guys that help contribute to this thread and all the guys that end up trying them.  I can tell all you guys that these will indeed not only grow on you but they will become a great addition to what you already have, which when you think about the price what you payed for them. A fantastic deal.  It is rare to get a solid good deal on anything now a days and perhaps these represent one of the better deals that I know of.. They aren't going to replace your favorites but will add to them nicely.

So in short.. Happy listening and enjoy your new cans..

Oct 18, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #664 of 2,849
Mine will be here on Thursday 
biggrin.gif

Oct 18, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #665 of 2,849
I asked my sister in colorado to get them for me
tongue.gif
(saving me expensive shipping fee). She will bring them to Mexico this coming Christmas....
biggrin.gif

She read this thread also and got another one for herself.

Oct 18, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #668 of 2,849

Quote:

Rating with price etc taken into account ( scale 0 - 10 )

HTF600

Without EQ: 8.5 ("Subjective" value based on satisfaction ~$150)
With EQing: 9.0 ("Subjective" value based on satisfaction ~$175)

XB500

Without EQ: 7.8 ("Subjective" value based on satisfaction ~$80)
With EQing: 9.5 ("Subjective" value based on satisfaction ~$200)

While I like the HTF600's for their price, I personally think my ~$110 Shure's sound like they have better sound resolution. So even though that is strictly subjective and your opinion, I don't see why you would value them so highly.

Oct 18, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #669 of 2,849
I may have to try out the HTF890. If its truly comparable to the AD700 at half the price. 

Quote:
besides a few years back when i wrote this, i also had the ht770 recently for a short while. with more experience with a wider range of headphones i can honestly say the ht770 are horrible. harsh across the spectrum. these have been around a while and there's a reason they never got popular. 

Ouch, that doesn't sound good. 
Quote:
Thought I'll contribute to this discussion although I have little experience with full size cans. I have an AD900 and I think they're very transparent but risks of sounding a bit thin for some. The soundstage is very big but I find the instrument placement a bit vague due to the large size. The 4kHz peak will make some recordings sound harsh at the treble region and the the headphones do sound grainy at times. I have a feeling that there are better headphones at its price range but I can't be bothered to swap headphones right now.

Consider the Fostex T50RP. It's still one of the best headphones I ever had a chance to listen to. Although it doesn't have that big soundstage as the K701 or AD900, it's very balanced and far less grainy (better "darkness" or contrast).

Also consider the Panasonic RP-HTF890. They're not popular in Head-Fi for some reason but according to a few thrifty members, they can match and even beat the AD700 with similar sonic characteristics (big soundstage and all) and still cost under $100. Won't hurt buying them at that price.

EDIT: wait I just realized that the last post was in 2008! lol

Oct 18, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #670 of 2,849

Quote:
While I like the HTF600's for their price, I personally think my ~$110 Shure's sound like they have better sound resolution. So even though that is strictly subjective and your opinion, I don't see why you would value them so highly. 

That's why it said "subjective" as every person's taste how it "should" sound like varies a bit. There's a chance I don't like your Shures as much as you do for example. For example I was more satisfied with XB500 / HTF600 than D1100 and DT770 Pro/80 that both are way expensier even if especially the DT770 Pro/80 had better resolution, didn't make them more satisfying, more the opposite cuz the highs were too bright and mids too recessed for my liking.

Oct 18, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #671 of 2,849
Well, I bit. $30 is like buying off the dollar menu in the audiophile world...

Oct 18, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #672 of 2,849
Well I can say. Not all new cans or new sounds to your favorites will sound better to you off the bat. I think the coolest thing about our hobby is the fact that each can has it's own sound qualities. Maybe not very apparent at the moment but once you spend some quality time listening to your various tunes you will see what the HTF600 does well and perhaps what it doesn't compared to your other cans. The better resolution what you hear in your shures to your ears are probably correct but once you spend some time with the HTF600s. They do grow on you and you start to see what is appealing about the HTF600s. That was the way the HTF600s grew on me.

I can tell everyone on this thread I have many cans that out class my HTF600s but do my higher end cans let me hear my tunes in a way that is that much better?  I think not. What RPGWiz is saying the sound quality wise he equates to the monetary value as such.. Actually he is not too far off..I actually own cans that cost around that much and more,  I would easily put the sounds of my HTF600 at that price range.

You just got them today..Once the drivers loosen up for the full bass impact. It is awesome that nothing is recessed or lacking on the HTF600s. Warmth and musicality takes over and you get that full bodied sound.. A trait missing on many many cans that cost way more. You can have plenty of high end cans that is neutral and does everything right.. But does it have musicality., warmth, and fullness to your tunes? This is where the HTF600 excel.  They aren't hi fi. They aren't my Denons. They aren't my Ultrasones. They are for me however awesome to listen to my tunes with. And in the end that is what it is all about..

I believe it was after the 24 hours of burn is when I discovered the Bass started to expand and become a Give them some quality time and you will see.

Oct 18, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #673 of 2,849

Quote:
Well, I bit. $30 is like buying off the dollar menu in the audiophile world...

You got that right. hans030390 on board.!! on the

@BababooeyHTJ  The cost of a HTF890 is $45..I can safely tell you they are better to my ears over the AD700..I own the HT770 and am certain the HTF890 is exactly the same. They use the exact same drivers and have the exact same sound.. These share some similarities to the open AD700 but with one difference.. The HTF890 has Bass..Very wide stage, very overlooked phone Imo. For the guys that want more of a neutral flavor to their cans with wide open stage. The HTF890 is an awesome can and would be the Open equivalent to these HTF600s.. Try them. $45 to get a quality open can that equals the AD700? Ya that was me that said that..Maybe it is because I own all 3 cans mentioned so you would think I knew what the heck I am talking about. Plus they don't look so clownish.vs

Oct 18, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #674 of 2,849
I swore after getting my Sennheiser HD 600's that I never needed to buy another headphone. Someone over at AVS mentioned these Panny's and after reading the thread, I'm intrigued. I ordered a pair of the Panny's yesterday (Amazon Prime). For $30, why not? If I hate them, I'll give them to my daughter who has been wanting a full-size can to complement her PortaPros.

So MalVeaux, have you modded yours yet? Too busy playing Baldur's Gate?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back