The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Sep 21, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #181 of 2,849
Yea I've already noticed that bass has changed a bit since the first listen, out of box this headphone was quite unexciting, not much dynamicness, quite relaxed, more like a HD650 or something, after 2.5 ~ 3 hrs it's already a bit more engaging, forward, dynamic sounding. More like that XB500 with boosted mids and highs sound, the mids certainly are very "heavy" and present at this point.

I also noticed it doesn't pair that well with dolby headphone on foobar2000 but it sounds pretty close to that dolby headphone config I liked with XB500 even without it. The soundstage isn't really that big IMO but it's very up-front and the positioning is quite good. I tested some gaming quickly and found the soundstage to provide a very immersive experience like being "there".

My current EQ setting:

Sep 21, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #182 of 2,849

Quote:
Yea I've already noticed that bass has changed a bit since the first listen, out of box this headphone was quite unexciting, not much dynamicness, quite relaxed, more like a HD650 or something, after 2.5 ~ 3 hrs it's already a bit more engaging, forward, dynamic sounding. More like that XB500 with boosted mids and highs sound.

I also noticed it doesn't pair that well with dolby headphone on foobar2000 but it sounds pretty close to that dolby headphone config I liked with XB500 even without it. The soundstage isn't really that big IMO but it's very up-front and the positioning is quite good. I tested some gaming quickly and found the soundstage to provide a very immersive experience like being "there".

YOUR   !! 

Sep 21, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #183 of 2,849

Quote:
Yea I've already noticed that bass has changed a bit since the first listen, out of box this headphone was quite unexciting, not much dynamicness, quite relaxed, more like a HD650 or something, after 2.5 ~ 3 hrs it's already a bit more engaging, forward, dynamic sounding. More like that XB500 with boosted mids and highs sound, the mids certainly are very "heavy" and present at this point.

My current EQ setting:

Heya,

Thanks for the impressions so far, looks like we're having a very similar experience. I'm actually chuckling that we both referenced the HD650 actually in terms of similar signature.

Very best,

Sep 21, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #185 of 2,849
Hopefully the female vocals would get a bit more forward yet, sounds like male vocals and all kinds of sound effects in electronica which are probably in the 500Hz ~ 1kHz range come out a bit louder than the upper mids around 2~4kHz. At this point I'd still give it to XB500 for female vocals which sounds just brilliant on my sample at least, very forward yet without any harshness. The lower mids and mids sound good so far on the Panasonics but I wish the upper mids could improve a little still (It doesn't seem to help that much EQing either as I could nearly drag the 2 and 4kHz sliders to the top to get them as present as I'd want them to be but at that point the frequencies sound way too colored too. :p 

Currently using my "Treblehead" Dolby Headphone foobar2000 preset as it seem to pair quite well with this headphone, it sounded too bright, thin on my XB500 but on this Panasonic it sounds very balanced and actually adds some "weight" to the music. The weirdest thing is that there's a slight bass decrease with this preset yet it sounds like it almost boosts it... must be the added presence to upper-mids that confuses my brain or something.

Sep 21, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #187 of 2,849
Currently I'm very happy with the music playback when I seem to have found very good working settings. (real audiophiles should close their eyes :p)

Foobar2000 Settings

Soundcard Settings:

ZO Personal Subwoofer amp:

Contour level 2 (level 0 being the first level, so 2 clicks higher then lowest out of 31 max)

TBH, sounds pretty much the same as my XB500 used to sound like with slightly different EQ/foobar settings.

Sep 21, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #188 of 2,849
Wow... so... RPGWiZaRD ... you always listen to headphones ONLY from your PC?
I mean, if you have to go through all that hassle for headphones to really engage
you, that would be really hard to do on a portable set-up (unless you have a Cowon or something
similar with EQ settings, etc.).

BTW, listening for a bit longer (I probably "burn" these for the rest of the week) noted a couple
of things:

Shiny Toy Guns - Le Disko

Panny:
Vocals not too forward
Effects not as pronounced/kind of muffled
Warm sound, good bass
Like sound separation

Monoprice:
Vocals even more in the back
Warm sound even greater bass output than the pannys??
Similar soundstage to Pannys

940s:
Better clarity overall. Vocals seem more forward.
Effects are more pronounced.
Bright signature on full effect here, bass output lacking
but extending when it has to.

It's just one song but I have been getting similar results...

BTW, I'm quite surprised at how these sound with acoustic tracks!!!
Maybe it's that "warmer" sound that makes the song more "full" (at least fuller
than on my 940s...)

Sep 21, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #189 of 2,849
Yea I listen only from my PC (should be noted I come from a computer hardware freak background too, well overclocking and new comp hardware still interests but music is taking a bigger and bigger chunk of that other interest) , I wouldn't be able to get the sound I optimally prefer of a portable setup and neither am I that interested in portable setups. It's more rewarding that way when you come home from work, just relax and listen to some music, you got something to look forward to.

Sep 21, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #190 of 2,849
Nice impressions guys..I noticed the Kickers has more punch than the Panasonics when i first did a head to head, but once the bass fills out on your Panasonics You will have a hard time going back to the monoprice. Even at what you guys are hearing now.  You guys can clearly tell. The sounds are no where near budget..I think where these shine the most for me at least is intricate bassy tunes.. My hip hop collection is getting a work out like never before all due to the Panasonics..But what is equally intriguing is the fact that these also does every other Genre very well.  Admittedly some better than others but very good overall for all genres.. Add to the fact that these are some of the best gaming and movies headphones and you get one of the best finds ever..  I am glad all you guys are now on board. These will only get better is all I can tell you guys.

Sep 21, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #191 of 2,849
Well it's still too early to tell if I'm gonna like these more than XB500. The XB500 responds better to EQing it seems, it's probably the most EQ friendly headphone around and the 10-band EQ I use works very well so that's where Panasonics are gonna have a tough battle against those optimal EQ settings for XB500.

XB500

VS

HTF600

FIGHT!

Sep 21, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #192 of 2,849

Quote:
Well it's still too early to tell if I'm gonna like these more than XB500. The XB500 responds better to EQing it seems, it's probably the most EQ friendly headphone around and the 10-band EQ I use works very well so that's where Panasonics are gonna have a tough battle against those optimal EQ settings for XB500.

I don't think these will replace your Sonys. After all if they were just like your Sonys then they would be called XB500s. They are however something different.. And variety my friend is the spice of life.. Malveaux mentioned to me how you would probably appreciate this headphone for what it is and since you are naturally a bass head. I am glad you got something new.. These aren't meant to take over your favorites I mean how can they when they cost so cheap right? But for the money there is not another HP on this planet that can top these... Now that they are yours.. Just enjoy them..Your views might change a bit once these fill out however.. The first 24 hours was ok .. When 40th hour hit I was astounded.

Sep 21, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #194 of 2,849
Ya comfy is not an issue. I think M50 pads would fit perfect for those actually.. You notice a bit more fullness to the sounds a bit. I take it you burned those over night?.. In a period of about a week they transformed to be monsters for me..My initial impressions of the Panasonics was after 24 hour burn and even at that point the bass I didn't feel to be particularly special..
Hearing my new pair this morning. It was closer to what I was hearing when I first did the thread.. after the 3rd day of burning though the Bass just came out. There was no other way to describe it The bass more than impressed me I started hearing bass notes I haven't heard before on the same tunes I have been listening for years.. Blast them tunes..

Sep 21, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #195 of 2,849
I definitely agree on the bass Dsnuts, when I first put on my 'phones I was really underwhelmed on the bass having been accustomed to my burnt-in Kicker rebrands.  And withing just a few hours the bass started to warm up.  It became much fuller than my kickers (you really notice the difference in soundstage as well).  As a plus I also look less like a lego brick wearing these.

One thing i did notice: if I press the side of the can into my head fairly hard, it seems like the driver actually disconnects--doing it again turns it on again.  I hear like a click each time I press it in hard.  I don't think that's supposed to happen--can anyone else confirm for me?  I might need to get a replacement pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back