The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 27, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #2,746 of 10,994
Quote:

Well, you're disagreeing with Jan Meier, not me lol. And it's very clear what you would do. I would, and have, done the same thing. I'm simply sharing with the forum what Jan Meier, who knows the T1s very, very well, shared with me about his portable amplifier. So in case there is anyone reading who, for whatever reason, wants to use their T1s in a portable capacity, per the designer of the amp, the 2Stepdance is able to drive these headphones. Is it ideal? No, of course not. Nobody is debating that. But with all due respect, I personally put a bit more weight in the actual designer of the amplifier than I do a random poster on head-fi. 

That's just great :)

Jun 27, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #2,747 of 10,994
Quote:
That's just great :)

How bout we change the subject and you can tell me a little more about your Isabellina/T1 combo :)  I have never owned any of Vinny's products, but I'm a fan for sure. He seems like a great guy in the few email exchanges I've had with him, and his gear is drool-worthy. Aside from the 2Stepdance, what else have you used with the T1s in addition to Vinny's piece? 

Jun 27, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #2,748 of 10,994
Quote:

How bout we change the subject and you can tell me a little more about your Isabellina/T1 combo :)  I have never owned any of Vinny's products, but I'm a fan for sure. He seems like a great guy in the few email exchanges I've had with him, and his gear is drool-worthy. Aside from the 2Stepdance, what else have you used with the T1s in addition to Vinny's piece? 

I'm working on a review of the Isabellina LFP-V Edition. I'm not sure yet, but perhaps I prefer the Isabellina > T70 combo, sounds pretty amazing to me!!!

Also I think, by a small margin, I prefer Isabellina (dac) > WA2 to drive T1. But I'm far from done with testing. Tube rolling might change everything. At this point (for the isabellina)  I'm using a NOS Amperex tube (orange globe logo, steel pins, holland), a very nice tube with great detail. But I'll test it with Mullard CV2493 as well, might bring out the midrange even more (love the midrange of T1). I know how much I like WA2 (CV2493) with T1, so it might just fit in the Isabellina as well... I'll get back to you when I've finished the review. I'll post the part considering T1 here in this thread...

Jun 27, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #2,750 of 10,994
Quote:
The WA2 and the Isabellina in the same audio rig...that must be like Heaven :)  

YEAH, I'm very happy with it!!!

I think the headphone amp in the early version of Isabellina HPA had some difficulties driving some headphones, so I usually added WA2 to the Isabellinas line out when driving high impedance headphones. But the LFP-V Edition is more powerful and gives you the opportunity to tube roll. It's so much better and makes the Isabellina a nice choice if you want to avoid a big bulky tube amp... I haven't decided yet how close I think they are in sound quality. Like everyone else I think that WA2 and T1 has great synergy, there's just something magical about it. But the Isabellina LFP-V Edition is a tough competitor. Considering the little tube stage put inside that box, I'm very impressed!

Jun 27, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #2,751 of 10,994
Quote:
YEAH, I'm very happy with it!!!

I think the headphone amp in the early version of Isabellina HPA had some difficulties driving some headphones, so I usually added WA2 to the Isabellinas line out when driving high impedance headphones. But the LFP-V Edition is more powerful and gives you the opportunity to tube roll. It's so much better and makes the Isabellina a nice choice if you want to avoid a big bulky tube amp... I haven't decided yet how close I think they are in sound quality. Like everyone else I think that WA2 and T1 has great synergy, there's just something magical about it. But the Isabellina LFP-V Edition is a tough competitor. Considering the little tube stage put inside that box, I'm very impressed!

I'm almost certain that once I settle on another flagship pair of headphones, I'll start focusing more on the amplification. I have Woo Audio, Mapletree Audio Design, and one or two others on my short list. There are some amazingly nice pieces out there to choose from, as you clearly have found out for yourself :)

Jun 27, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #2,752 of 10,994
Quote:

I'm almost certain that once I settle on another flagship pair of headphones, I'll start focusing more on the amplification. I have Woo Audio, Mapletree Audio Design, and one or two others on my short list. There are some amazingly nice pieces out there to choose from, as you clearly have found out for yourself :)

Iterative upgrades: headphones, amps, sources, cables, more headphones and so on :)

And everytime we think we're done, something turns up. It's amazing.

Anyways, the T1 have become my reference headphone, and I can't picture myself buying new headphones for years. Not open full size headphones, that is...

Jun 27, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #2,754 of 10,994
Here we go, a nice tri-fecta of beyer headphones. There is one balanced stock T1 (mine), a TWAG recabled T1 (friends), and a stock T5p (also mine).

Jun 27, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #2,755 of 10,994
So Librarian you would rank these generally higher than other high end ones? I really like Beyer's new lineup I just hear waaaaaaaay too many opinions and some of them are very questionable on this forum at times.

Jun 27, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #2,756 of 10,994
^ impressive!

i've always wanted to hear the T5p.

Jun 28, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #2,758 of 10,994
Quote:
So Librarian you would rank these generally higher than other high end ones? I really like Beyer's new lineup I just hear waaaaaaaay too many opinions and some of them are very questionable on this forum at times.

That's a tough one. I guess there are many opinions because in the end it all comes down to taste. I haven't had the chance to listen to all the flagships out there, but I heard some, and the T1 is just what I want... I like it more than say the HD800, even though I think HD800 is technically superior. There are so many good headphones out there. Try them if you can. Buy used and trade if you are not sure what you like...

What kind of sound do you like? What's your musical preferences? Personally I would not buy T1 for rock. Sure you can rock with the T1, but there might be more capable options. Again it all comes down to taste. Someone else might love the T1 for rock. I  like T1 for jazz, pop and classical. If I only listened to rock, I'd buy a DX1000. But that's just me.  

Also there are synergy with source and amp...one headphone might sound good in one audio rig and bad in another... The T1 likes a good clean source and a very capable amp. All headphones seems to like that to some extend, but the T1 NEEDS it...

Jun 28, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #2,759 of 10,994
Quote:
Here we go, a nice tri-fecta of beyer headphones. There is one balanced stock T1 (mine), a TWAG recabled T1 (friends), and a stock T5p (also mine).

Are the TWAG T1's balanced. How do they compare to the stock T1's?

I have the TWAG2 cable on my LCD2's and I am contemplating getting my T1's re-cables or just re-terminate to balanced.

Thanks

Jun 28, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #2,760 of 10,994
I want to join this club one of these days
smily_headphones1.gif

Does anyone know of any Canadian dealers?

Planet of Sound is the official dealer in Ontario.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back