The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 26, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #2,731 of 10,994
whoops. i meant to say that it'll sound better out of the DNA than out of the HDP. 

the T1 is a great headphone but it does need a good high quality amp to sound its best. 

Jun 26, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #2,733 of 10,994
Quote:
whoops. i meant to say that it'll sound better out of the DNA than out of the HDP. 

the T1 is a great headphone but it does need a good high quality amp to sound its best. 

wasnt it just a little bit ago where you were new here and looking for a new headphone? how did you end up with that collection LOL. congrats. all of them are awesome headphones. curse headfi.

Jun 26, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #2,734 of 10,994
Sorry, I meant I'm selling the Icon HDP. I didn't even hear the T1 properly, no way I'm gonna sell them.

Jun 26, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #2,735 of 10,994
Quote:

wasnt it just a little bit ago where you were new here and looking for a new headphone? how did you end up with that collection LOL. congrats. all of them are awesome headphones. curse headfi.

lol yes it was.

umm i spent all my internship money in the fall and tried out alot of different headphones. (started with HD 650s, then got mid-fi grado, akg, denon, and umm beyers)

eventually i got T1 and LCD-2, and thats when i started to slowly upgrade, getting the woo amps, and selling all my other headphones.

yes head-fi is bad 

Jun 26, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #2,736 of 10,994
Quote:
lol yes it was.

umm i spent all my internship money in the fall and tried out alot of different headphones. (started with HD 650s, then got mid-fi grado, akg, denon, and umm beyers)

eventually i got T1 and LCD-2, and thats when i started to slowly upgrade, getting the woo amps, and selling all my other headphones.

yes head-fi is bad 

....this sounds like almost exactly what i did.  wallet = not happy.

Jun 26, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #2,737 of 10,994
Quote:

I"m a Beyerdynamic/Grado guy and have made six combined headphone purchases from these companies...currently the Grado PS500 is my favorite headphone, just slightly nudging out the T1. 

Preference wise I totally get how someone can prefer anything over anything else. Technically though, the T1s are vastly superior to the PS500 (and HF-2s/RS1/RS1i...used to own). No bass drop off at 60Hz, great imaging and quicker. But Baskin Robbins does have more than just one flavour too....we all prefer/like different things.

Jun 26, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #2,738 of 10,994
Quote:
Preference wise I totally get how someone can prefer anything over anything else. Technically though, the T1s are vastly superior to the PS500 (and HF-2s/RS1/RS1i...used to own). No bass drop off at 60Hz, great imaging and quicker. But Baskin Robbins does have more than just one flavour too....we all prefer/like different things.

Yep, definitely agree. It's sort of like how Kate Upton is technically a much more attractive woman than Eva Mendes...but for whatever reason, Eva just floats my boat. In this case, however, I can have both! 
biggrin.gif

Jun 26, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #2,739 of 10,994
Quote:

Yep, definitely agree. It's sort of like how Kate Upton is technically a much more attractive woman than Eva Mendes...but for whatever reason, Eva just floats my boat. In this case, however, I can have both! 
biggrin.gif

Love the analogy. Puts in into perfect perspective! 
smile.gif

Jun 26, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #2,740 of 10,994
Quote:

Love the analogy. Puts in into perfect perspective! 
smile.gif

I just gotta make sure I spend enough time with each of them so they don't leave me lol

Jun 27, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #2,741 of 10,994
The PS1000 is on overpriced GS1000 only with slight improvements. To me they are a giant paper weight. I really don't think they are worth more than $800, but that's me. I'd gladly take a GS1000 is I could find one for $500, oh wait I can :wink:

But yeah the T1 is a ton more advanced than both the GS1000 and PS1000 combined. I can't recommend the PS1000 for full retail. I'd only recommend them if you could find them under $1000.

Quote:
If you think the PS500 is a bit better than the T1, my guess is that the PS1000 - for you, at least - would be even better (when I say "better", I mean "more pleasant" not technically better/more neutral -- The T1 is clearly  more technically advanced and more accurate/neutral).

I am truly starting to think that, me owning the HD800, the PS1000 would make a fine, "warmer" and "crisper", change.

Jun 27, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #2,742 of 10,994
I have to agree: most Grado headphones are, indeed, overpriced... Specially the PS1000. I have to say that I do think they should be no more than ~USD$900.00.

But I do want to have the distorted guitar sound of the full aluminum V4 Magnums in a full-sized around the ear headphone, and the PS1000 seems to be the only way to go (besides, having the HD800 already, the T1 does not seem to provide - from what I read around here and other website reviews - a HUGE change of character when compared to the Sennheiser's, at least not as much as the PS1000).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"I'd only recommend the PS1000 if you could find them under $1000."

Jun 27, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #2,743 of 10,994
I have a feeling I may find the PS1000 overpriced, but so far the three Grados I've owned have been solid value in terms of how much enjoyment I've gotten out of them. Just like anything else, it all comes down to preferences. I marginally prefer my Beyer DT1350s to my Grado 325s, even for home use, and they're right at the same price point. I'd have to consider the PS500s exceptional value since I slightly prefer them to a $1295 headphone. But clearly it's not the price that matters most, it's one's willingness to pay it. 

Jun 27, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #2,744 of 10,994
Yes, that's why I bought DT1350s. The point is that for those who would like a portable option for their T1s, for whatever reason that may be, the 2Stepdance is apparently able to drive them just fine. 

I understand you perfectly fine, I just don't agree. Instead of buying a portable amp, I would get an additional headphone for portable use. It's not so hard to make the t1 sound loud, but it's hard to make them sound good.

I had the 2stepdance, and I think it's a good amp, but far from capable of driving t1. It's not that 2stepdance is a bad option compared to other portable amps, I just don't think any portable amp is good enough to do the job...

Jun 27, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #2,745 of 10,994
Quote:
I understand you perfectly fine, I just don't agree. Instead of buying a portable amp, I would get an additional headphone for portable use. It's not so hard to make the t1 sound loud, but it's hard to make them sound good.
I had the 2stepdance, and I think it's a good amp, but far from capable of driving t1. It's not that 2stepdance is a bad option compared to other portable amps, I just don't think any portable amp is good enough to do the job...

Well, you're disagreeing with Jan Meier, not me lol. And it's very clear what you would do. I would, and have, done the same thing. I'm simply sharing with the forum what Jan Meier, who knows the T1s very, very well, shared with me about his portable amplifier. So in case there is anyone reading who, for whatever reason, wants to use their T1s in a portable capacity, per the designer of the amp, the 2Stepdance is able to drive these headphones. Is it ideal? No, of course not. Nobody is debating that. But with all due respect, I personally put a bit more weight in the actual designer of the amplifier than I do a random poster on head-fi. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back