The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 26, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #2,716 of 10,994
Quote:
If you think the PS500 is a bit better than the T1, my guess is that the PS1000 - for you, at least - would be even better (when I say "better", I mean "more pleasant" not technically better/more neutral -- The T1 is clearly  more technically advanced and more accurate/neutral).

I am truly starting to think that, me owning the HD800, the PS1000 would make a fine, "warmer" and "crisper", change.

Heck yeah, that's why I love pairing the T1s with a top end Grado...I really like having that variety in my sound signature. I'm really looking forward to hearing the PS1ks. My T1s will be a permanent part of my collection for sure, and if the PS1ks take me even further into Grado bliss, I'm going to be a happy camper. I can definitely see why you would like the contrast between something like the 1ks and your HD-800s.  It's fantastic owning one flagship headphone, but when you can own two it's probably even more fun :)

EDIT: I totally agree with your point about the T1 being a superior headphone technically, as well. Although I prefer the sound signature of the PS500s slightly more than the T1s, the T1s are the better headphone from a technical standpoint. 

Jun 26, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #2,717 of 10,994
PS: Really nice picture of your T1s, there. Beautiful elegant headphones, indeed ("shinny!" I must say). Congratulations!
Quote:
"I totally agree with your point about the T1 being a superior headphone technically, as well. Although I prefer the sound signature of the PS500s slightly more than the T1s, the T1s are the better headphone from a technical standpoint."

Jun 26, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #2,718 of 10,994
Quote:
PS: Really nice picture of your T1s, there. Beautiful elegant headphones, indeed ("shinny!" I must say). Congratulations!

Thanks so much...I really wanted a nice stand since I keep my headphone rig in my living area, and it ended up being a nicer looking sight (stand + T1) than I could have imagined :)  I've had several people stop over and be like, "whoa, what are THOSE!" lol

Jun 26, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #2,719 of 10,994
Quote:
Hi people, I'd really like to know - in a very detailed way - how does the T1 relates to the DT990 600Ohms, please.
They (DT990 600Ohm and T1) do share the same soundsiganture, right (?): If so, how and where the T1 clearly improves over the DT990 sound? And, if not, how different are they, please?
Greatly apretiate your input! Really.
PS: not wanting to thread-jack or anything, but if any of you T1 owners also got some listening experience with Grados/Magnums (Symphonies), I'd also really like your opinion - even if really fast - here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/614219/beyerdynamic-or-grado#post_8485372 *
*Thank you so much!

they have the same signature, you can tell they're both beyers. 

but the T1 is much much better, the difference is night and day. the T1 has less bass, but it still has good punch, and its much cleaner sounding, the midrange is more detailed and warmer, the highs are more controlled and the T1 is much better in soundstage and is overall a way more refined and revealing headphone than the dt 990.

at first i kept the dt 990 for the more bass, but the t1 is so much better, it doesn't really make a difference.

Jun 26, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #2,720 of 10,994
Quote:

they have the same signature, you can tell they're both beyers. 

but the T1 is much much better, the difference is night and day. the T1 has less bass, but it still has good punch, and its much cleaner sounding, the midrange is more detailed and warmer, the highs are more controlled and the T1 is much better in soundstage and is overall a way more refined and revealing headphone than the dt 990.

at first i kept the dt 990 for the more bass, but the t1 is so much better, it doesn't really make a difference.

It really surprises me how many people seem to feel the T1 isn't a significant upgrade over the 770/880/990s. I had seen several posts like that and it nearly prevented me from pulling the trigger on the T1s. I just felt like I wanted a bit more than what the 880s were giving me at the time, so I took a chance. I could tell within the first two minutes that the T1s were just a much better headphone. It's not 4x better than the 880s, of course, but those of us who understand how audio works know that the law of diminishing returns kicks in as you go up in price. I've always been happy to pay that premium when there is a very distinct and apparent improvement in quality, and as you said, the overall refinement of the T1s is a clear step up from the lower cost Beyers. 

Jun 26, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #2,721 of 10,994
Quote:
It really surprises me how many people seem to feel the T1 isn't a significant upgrade over the 770/880/990s. I had seen several posts like that and it nearly prevented me from pulling the trigger on the T1s. I just felt like I wanted a bit more than what the 880s were giving me at the time, so I took a chance. I could tell within the first two minutes that the T1s were just a much better headphone. It's not 4x better than the 880s, of course, but those of us who understand how audio works know that the law of diminishing returns kicks in as you go up in price. I've always been happy to pay that premium when there is a very distinct and apparent improvement in quality, and as you said, the overall refinement of the T1s is a clear step up from the lower cost Beyers. 

beerchug.gif

Jun 26, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #2,722 of 10,994
I think it's also due to limitations of recording; not everyone listens to classical on SACD for example, so listening to older music or very "crowded" music like Mahavishnu Orchestra, you may not be able to tell much of a difference. I listen to FLAC or CD quality highest and with the best mastering jobs, I can tell a difference, but many genres just weren't able to get the same dedication and standards of recording quality.

Jun 26, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #2,723 of 10,994
New T1 owner here, currently using with Icon HDP... not a great match I think, I'm really not impressed. There's a DNA Stratus on the way to home, surely will do a better job.

Jun 26, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #2,724 of 10,994
Jun 26, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #2,725 of 10,994
Quote:
I think it's also due to limitations of recording; not everyone listens to classical on SACD for example, so listening to older music or very "crowded" music like Mahavishnu Orchestra, you may not be able to tell much of a difference. I listen to FLAC or CD quality highest and with the best mastering jobs, I can tell a difference, but many genres just weren't able to get the same dedication and standards of recording quality.

True. I don't listen to SACD either, but nearly my entire music collection is ripped on lossless format and certainly it's easier to discern differences on my main home rig than it would be listening to streams from Pandora or MOG. I'm also accustomed to high end speaker audio, so I have a pretty good feel for what higher fidelity should sound like. 

Jun 26, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #2,727 of 10,994
Quote:
New T1 owner here, currently using with Icon HDP... not a great match I think, I'm really not impressed. There's a DNA Stratus on the way to home, surely will do a better job.

wow nice, i'm sure the T1 will sound much better out of that than the icon which isn't really intended for driving top headphones like the T1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back