The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 29, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #2,776 of 10,994
Great for modern electronic stuff, but not so much for rock, though... Planar-magnetic sound is not fit for electronic guitars full detail and "crunchiness", specially if it's classic rock and slow paced rock.

They do great for metal though, because of the impact they can provide with such ease. Just don't expect to hear all guitar chord plucking, and the full vibrations of the bass chords like with, for example, the HD800 (since they great impact they deal masks much of the extension and micro-detail of all frequencies, including lower ones). Which can be (and to me, IS) really good for bad-records, electronic or fast-paced metal and loud, treble-happy, stuff.

That is, to my ears, of course.
Quote:

+1

thats exactly how i feel about their imaging/soundstage. any vocals sound amazing on the LCD-2. they're great for hip/hop, rap, electronic, pop, and rock

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #2,777 of 10,994
The major difference compared to the T1 and other "normal" headphones is the way imaging and soundstage is presented. This is where the LCD and HE-6 falter. The sound is more Left/Right, instead of all around. Kind of like poorly positioned speakers. They are excellent for anything that has a fast pace and just want to hear the music, not so much for listening to additional detail and ambient environmental sounds in the recording.

+1

thats exactly how i feel about their imaging/soundstage. any vocals sound amazing on the LCD-2. they're great for hip/hop, rap, electronic, pop, and rock

Might as well use ibuds then, if you "just want to hear the music" but don't care about detail, soundstage and depth etc.

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #2,778 of 10,994
Quote, originally posted by brunk

"The major difference compared to the T1 and other "normal" headphones is the way imaging and soundstage is presented. This is where the LCD and HE-6 falter. The sound is more Left/Right, instead of all around. Kind of like poorly positioned speakers. They are excellent for anything that has a fast pace and just want to hear the music, not so much for listening to additional detail and ambient environmental sounds in the recording."

+2

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #2,779 of 10,994
Quote:

Might as well use ibuds then, if you "just want to hear the music" but don't care about detail, soundstage and depth etc.

Good job on taking me and Dubstep Girl out of context and totally misquoting us. It never fails...
deadhorse.gif

Have you even spent time with orthos and planars before making that comment?

Jun 29, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #2,781 of 10,994
Jun 29, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #2,782 of 10,994
Quote:
Good job on taking me out of context and totally misquoting me. It never fails...
deadhorse.gif

Have you even spent time with orthos and planars before making that comment?

I don't see how I took your post out of context. You admitted yourself you weren't sure as to whether or not if what you explained was done so in an understandable manner.

Furthermore, I don't think I need to have spent time with planar magnetic headphones to use as a basis for making my previous post, maybe you should read it again carefully.

That said, it was not my intention to derail this thread, we're all T1 fans but I think you took my post too seriously/personally, my apologies for provoking such a cynical reply.

Jun 29, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #2,783 of 10,994
Quote:

Furthermore, I don't think I need to have spent time with planar magnetic headphones to use as a basis for making my previous post, maybe you should read it again carefully.

I read it again carefully, and yes, you do need to listen to orthos/planars to understand what I said before responding like that. Text doesn't do them justice, but it was apparently understood by everyone else. Sorry for the cynical reply (to a cynical response), but again, text leaves out body language and tone of voice. Water under the bridge I suppose...

Jun 29, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #2,784 of 10,994
Quote:
Great for modern electronic stuff, but not so much for rock, though... Planar-magnetic sound is not fit for electronic guitars full detail and "crunchiness", specially if it's classic rock and slow paced rock.

They do great for metal though, because of the impact they can provide with such ease. Just don't expect to hear all guitar chord plucking, and the full vibrations of the bass chords like with, for example, the HD800 (since they great impact they deal masks much of the extension and micro-detail of all frequencies, including lower ones). Which can be (and to me, IS) really good for bad-records, electronic or fast-paced metal and loud, treble-happy, stuff.

That is, to my ears, of course.

i feel the LCD-2 still have the nice pluck and crunch of the grados, but its more laid back.

Jun 29, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #2,785 of 10,994
Quote:

i feel the LCD-2 still have the nice pluck and crunch of the grados, but its more laid back.

That sentence makes me miss my old 70's Fender tube amp that bit the dust
triportsad.gif

Jun 29, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #2,786 of 10,994
If anything a planar magnetic represents a more accurate imaging apparent to the headphone positioning than a dynamic because of the very nature of the planar wavefronts produced. It might seem more left and right because each driver is only heard with one ear. Anything outside of binaural tracks aren't a good indication of true imaging anyways.

Jun 29, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #2,787 of 10,994
Quote:
If anything a planar magnetic represents a more accurate imaging apparent to the headphone positioning than a dynamic because of the very nature of the planar wavefronts produced. It might seem more left and right because each driver is only heard with one ear. Anything outside of binaural tracks aren't a good indication of true imaging anyways.

My 2CH system tells me otherwise, as a reference for headphone imaging. Differing opinions, interesting indeed. Frequency response on the other hand... I'll leave that to another thread however.

Jun 29, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #2,788 of 10,994
You forgot to bold 'as apparent to the headphone positioning' part, that is key. What is accurate imaging in a headphone will certainly sound different than a pair of speakers which can fully take advantage of stereo separation. Again, it's a wrong practice to reference headphone imaging with speakers, especially if you're not using binaural equivalents of the songs when using the headphones.

Jun 29, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #2,789 of 10,994
deleted so as to not derail thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back