The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 7, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #2,446 of 10,994
Quote:

If I don't mistake I believed I bought your Sylvania tube from Canuckaudiomart.com when you sold your MAD. 

@Focker,  and who said I have to choice between the two 
wink_face.gif
. I might as well keep both.

The thing about tube is this weekend I was listening to the new album from Norah Jones and didn't like the sound I was getting with the MAD / T1. I decide to roll the tube and install a NOS Telefunken with higher gain and voila. The synergy was back to was I was expected.

For Grados, I did prefer the 5751, but for the T1s, I did prefer the 12AX7 (with 30% more gain).

May 8, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #2,448 of 10,994
Quote:

@Focker,  and who said I have to choice between the two 
wink_face.gif
. I might as well keep both.

The thing about tube is this weekend I was listening to the new album from Norah Jones and didn't like the sound I was getting with the MAD / T1. I decide to roll the tube and install a NOS Telefunken with higher gain and voila. The synergy was back to was I was expected.

Well, I know I'd certainly feel better about the situation if you kept both
beyersmile.png

Personally I really like having both a SS and a tube amp in-house. If you had both the MAD and the Concerto, I can't imagine you wanting for much more than that in terms of performance. You'd have to spend a good bit more in order to get even a marginal improvement from there. I don't have as much hands on experience with this side of audio as many of the folks here, but when I research something I literally spend hours and hours and hours. Even before I heard the Corda Jazz, I had pretty much come to the conclusion that Jan Meier was not only a great guy, but most likely a genius. Combine that with the tube talents of Dr. Peppard of MAD and you're really doing well, IMO.

BTW, I love those NOS Telefunkens. I have a pair of AEG/Telefunkens from the 60s in my Little Dot and I love 'em!

May 11, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #2,449 of 10,994
I'm amazed! For the first time ever Tool's Ænima sounds good. With these headphones.

So that's all it took!

May 11, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #2,450 of 10,994
Quote:
I'm amazed! For the first time ever Tool's Ænima sounds good. With these headphones.

So that's all it took!

blasphemy.  that album would sound good out of ibuds.  best.  album. ever.

May 12, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #2,451 of 10,994
I have gripe with T1 and it urks more than my Last Beyer pair. The choice of Black for the earpads, especially for a product in contact with human skin and hair and the associated filth that comes with it.

How do you folks keep your headphones clean? I've taken to doing the following.

1. I wash my head before use, emphasis on the sides of the head / face. 
  2. Occasionally go over the pads with a damp cloth.
  3. I Also use a sticky lint roller along the pads, inside and outside, these are cheap, just peel off the old sticking when it no longer does the job, fresh stuff underneath.
  4. A can of compressed air held at distance to keep the inside of the ear cups clean of dust.
  5. A bit of Leather Cleaner on the leather parts. I'm not sure what the material is on the top of the band, feels kind of suede like, So I just use a damp cloth.

Overall keeps my T1 looking as good as they sound.

Also, can someone tell me how many milliwatts the T1 actually draws under load and how much it takes to fully drive under playback conditions? The Beyer spec sheet seems to indicate it is efficient in regards to sound pressure levels.
http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/media//datenblaetter/T1_DB_E_A2.pdf
But they only show 1mW at 500hz for an SPL of 102dB

I'm getting an amp built, and the more info I can get the better.

May 12, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #2,452 of 10,994
Quote:
I have gripe with T1 and it urks more than my Last Beyer pair. The choice of Black for the earpads, especially for a product in contact with human skin and hair and the associated filth that comes with it.

How do you folks keep your headphones clean?

May 12, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #2,456 of 10,994
Speaking of the T1, I went to a Magnolia store at a local Best Buy earlier today. They didn't have the HD800, but had the AKG K550, ATH-M50's, HD558's, and T1's! I couldn't believe they had T1's! The sales clerk came up to me and asked if I was interested and I told him I already own a pair. He then asked what I use to amp them and I told him the V200 and Auditor. He was quite surprised I had those and then he asked if I had a DAC and I told him about my V800. He was clearly shocked but said he knew my gear and it was good stuff. He also went on to say it's a pity most people have crappy headphones. True that, true that.

Oh and I got a chance to listen to some Martin Logan Electrostatic speakers, not sure what model though. They sound excellent!

May 12, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #2,457 of 10,994
Quote:
Speaking of the T1, I went to a Magnolia store at a local Best Buy earlier today. They didn't have the HD800, but had the AKG K550, ATH-M50's, HD558's, and T1's! I couldn't believe they had T1's! The sales clerk came up to me and asked if I was interested and I told him I already own a pair. He then asked what I use to amp them and I told him the V200 and Auditor. He was quite surprised I had those and then he asked if I had a DAC and I told him about my V800. He was clearly shocked but said he knew my gear and it was good stuff. He also went on to say it's a pity most people have crappy headphones. True that, true that.

Oh and I got a chance to listen to some Martin Logan Electrostatic speakers, not sure what model though. They sound excellent!

Powerful recommendation from the Beyer guru. I am thinking of getting a pair of usable (which means, comparable to T1) speakers. Would think of Genelec's monitors, but seems that I may dig a lil' into Electrostatic speakers if so.

May 12, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #2,458 of 10,994
The Electrostatic speakers were a hybrid type. Not sure how that works but they had them hooked up with a Marantz SR7005 receiver. The receiver was very good sounding, and the demo material of choice was Diana Krall.

Quote:

Powerful recommendation from the Beyer guru. I am thinking of getting a pair of usable (which means, comparable to T1) speakers. Would think of Genelec's monitors, but seems that I may dig a lil' into Electrostatic speakers if so.

May 12, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #2,459 of 10,994
Quote:
The Electrostatic speakers were a hybrid type. Not sure how that works 

They have a regular dynamic sub at the bottom (the big bulky part at the bottom of the speaker), the electrostatic transducer covers the highs and mids while the sub handles the low frequency. Similar to 2-3 way drivers on regular speakers, just instead of a regular tweeter you have a stat transducer.

May 13, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #2,460 of 10,994
Kind of surprised I haven't heard these yet. I'm trying to hunt down a pair I can actually audition. 

Is there a list of Best Buys that actually are participating in that new headphone roll out? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back