The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 6, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #2,431 of 10,994
Quote:
Oh? That's interesting man. I heard the LCD-3 soundstage, sonic signature, and performance weren't that different than the LCD-2 from another member here. I would say the T1 has a much, much larger stage than the LCD-2. The LCD-2 to me is very cramped, much like that of a Grado.

brokenthumb,

the LCD-2 is going to have the K701 type highs. Even though the Rev.2 has more treble than the Rev.1, it's still very laid back. Otherwise the signature you want is there. They have ample bass with good control. Not much texture IMO but better than the D2000. The mids are my favorite aspect of this headphone. They are lush and inviting without being too rich. The treble is similar tot hat of the HD600 or HD650. Kind of somewhere in between I would say. The soundstage is quite small and not that 3D, it's very 2D without much depth or height.

The T1 won't have the throbbing bass you want either. The T1's bass is very controlled and tight. It's also quite neutral so you wan't have the same amount of impact but it does reach lower. The T1 has similar highs to the K701 but are much more extended and smoother. The T1's highs are far better than the K701. The midrange is pretty neutral yet has a hint of warmth. They are a lot fuller than the K701's mids and are lush in comparison to the K701's slightly anemic (recessed) mids. The soundstage will be smaller than the K701's but is better overall. The imaging is probably the best I've heard in a headphone, even compared to the HD800.

Hmmm, sounds like the LCD-2 has the sound sig I'm looking for except for the soundstage.  I would be buying a Rev. 2 Bamboo LCD-2 if I decide to go that route.  On a song like YYZ by Rush at the 2:20 mark does the LCD-2 have the effect where the drums start about 3 ft. out from the right ear then pan all the way across in front of you then outside the left ear?  If they do then that would be acceptable to me, I know the D2000 did this but to a lesser extent than the HD650 or K701.  I'm sure the T1 and HD800 would sound amazing on that song.

May 7, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #2,432 of 10,994
Quote:
Hmmm, sounds like the LCD-2 has the sound sig I'm looking for except for the soundstage.  I would be buying a Rev. 2 Bamboo LCD-2 if I decide to go that route.  On a song like YYZ by Rush at the 2:20 mark does the LCD-2 have the effect where the drums start about 3 ft. out from the right ear then pan all the way across in front of you then outside the left ear?  If they do then that would be acceptable to me, I know the D2000 did this but to a lesser extent than the HD650 or K701.  I'm sure the T1 and HD800 would sound amazing on that song.

just tested it for you, they do, but its not as obvious as with the T1. the song was heavier and warmer with the LCD-2 but i preferred the T1 presentation, they're both really good headphones.

the lcd-2 does have soundstage, but its small 

May 7, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #2,433 of 10,994
btw guys,

how much of an improvement really is the WA22 / LF with the T1 vs. my WA2, like is it immediately noticeable and will it catch my attention, or is it really subtle and only noticeable on good recordings and the like?

right now i love my WA2, gets much more listening time than the WA6-SE because its so satisfying to listen to with the T1 and the HD 800 pairs really good with it too...

i still use the SE for my denons and lcds tho..

May 7, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #2,434 of 10,994
I actually think the T1s have a slight mid-bass hump, so not quite neutral to my ears. 

May 7, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #2,435 of 10,994
Quote:
btw guys,

how much of an improvement really is the WA22 / LF with the T1 vs. my WA2, like is it immediately noticeable and will it catch my attention, or is it really subtle and only noticeable on good recordings and the like?

The WA22 is much better than the WA2, but you need to use it balanced to get the most from it. This means you need a balanced source, good connectors and balanced headphones. The cost can be prohibitive for many people.

May 7, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #2,436 of 10,994
Quote:

just tested it for you, they do, but its not as obvious as with the T1. the song was heavier and warmer with the LCD-2 but i preferred the T1 presentation, they're both really good headphones.

the lcd-2 does have soundstage, but its small

Thanks for testing it!  I really wish something had the heavier presentation of the LCD-2 but with the T1's soundstage.  I guess that may be the LCD-3 but it's way out of my money range.

May 7, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #2,437 of 10,994
As much as I have enjoyed the T1 with a borrowed WA2 (thanks to Pudu) in the past week I'm not ready to spring that money yet but I have purchase a Meier Concerto in the FS at a very good discount so I'm looking forward to hear the T1 / Concerto combo. :p

I welcome experience comments from members with this combo. Thanks!

May 7, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #2,438 of 10,994
Quote:
As much as I have enjoyed the T1 with a borrowed WA2 (thanks to Pudu) in the past week I'm not ready to spring that money yet but I have purchase a Meier Concerto in the FS at a very good discount so I'm looking forward to hear the T1 / Concerto combo.
tongue.gif

I welcome experience comments from members with this combo. Thanks!

I have the Corda Jazz with my T1....I'm sure the sonic signature is pretty similar, and I can assure you you'll be very happy. I know Jan is a big fan of BeyerD cans, especially the T1s, and his amps mate very well with that headphone.

May 7, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #2,439 of 10,994
Thank you for sharing your experience. I see you have some good Grado headphones in your list. Maybe, if the Concerto live up to his task, my MAD Ear+ will have to go :wink:

I have the Corda Jazz with my T1....I'm sure the sonic signature is pretty similar, and I can assure you you'll be very happy. I know Jan is a big fan of BeyerD cans, especially the T1s, and his amps mate very well with that headphone.

May 7, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #2,440 of 10,994
As much as I have enjoyed the T1 with a borrowed WA2 (thanks to Pudu) in the past week I'm not ready to spring that money yet but I have purchase a Meier Concerto in the FS at a very good discount so I'm looking forward to hear the T1 / Concerto combo...

So am I! :p

Congrats man. Given what I know about our similar tastes I can't wait to hear your opinion. And thanks again for the use of the O2 - I had a great time with it this weekend.

May 7, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #2,441 of 10,994
Quote:
Thank you for sharing your experience. I see you have some good Grado headphones in your list. Maybe, if the Concerto live up to his task, my MAD Ear+ will have to go
wink.gif

Yep, I'm guilt of being a GRado lover :)  I'm pretty content with the Grado/T1 combo...I don't know what more I could want out of headphones.

That will be a tough decision for you! I haven't owned a MAD headamp yet, but I love the company and was very happy with the preamp I used to own. The MAD Ear+ vs the Concerto would probably be a pretty good fight!  

I have no doubt you'll love the Meier amp though...I'm not even much of a solid state guy, so for me to love this amp as much as I do is saying a lot!

May 7, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #2,442 of 10,994
Quote:

Yep, I'm guilt of being a GRado lover :)  I'm pretty content with the Grado/T1 combo...I don't know what more I could want out of headphones.

That will be a tough decision for you! I haven't owned a MAD headamp yet, but I love the company and was very happy with the preamp I used to own. The MAD Ear+ vs the Concerto would probably be a pretty good fight!  

I have no doubt you'll love the Meier amp though...I'm not even much of a solid state guy, so for me to love this amp as much as I do is saying a lot!

You'll hate me for this...but when I owned the MAD Ear+HD, I found that it drove the T1s and RS1s very well!
evil_smiley.gif
Between the Concerto and MAD, I'd take the MAD (with a very nice Sylvania Triple Mica Black Plate power tube). [I did own both amps at the same time for several months FWIW].

May 7, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #2,443 of 10,994
Quote:

You'll hate me for this...but when I owned the MAD Ear+HD, I found that it drove the T1s and RS1s very well!
evil_smiley.gif
Between the Concerto and MAD, I'd take the MAD (with a very nice Sylvania Triple Mica Black Plate power tube). [I did own both amps at the same time for several months FWIW].

Dude, I don't hate you for that at all...the MAD Ear+HD is like my dream amp lol...I'm a huge fan of Dr.P.   I have no doubt it can keep up just fine with a Concerto or a Corda Classic. Being a tube guy, I'd probably even prefer it just as you did. I don't envy Twinster at all trying to decide between the two of them!

May 7, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #2,444 of 10,994
Quote:
Dude, I don't hate you for that at all...the MAD Ear+HD is like my dream amp lol...I'm a huge fan of Dr.P.   I have no doubt it can keep up just fine with a Concerto or a Corda Classic. Being a tube guy, I'd probably even prefer it just as you did. I don't envy Twinster at all trying to decide between the two of them!

LoL...this place is insidious that way.

May 7, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #2,445 of 10,994
Quote:

evil_smiley.gif

If I don't mistake I believed I bought your Sylvania tube from Canuckaudiomart.com when you sold your MAD. 

@Focker,  and who said I have to choice between the two 
wink_face.gif
. I might as well keep both.

The thing about tube is this weekend I was listening to the new album from Norah Jones and didn't like the sound I was getting with the MAD / T1. I decide to roll the tube and install a NOS Telefunken with higher gain and voila. The synergy was back to was I was expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back