The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 10, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #10,145 of 10,994
  My amp is the grace m9xx, I like good mids, and bass.

If you like good mids and bass, then I would look at something other than the T1 or TH-900, both are lacking a touch in the mids to me, both are great sounding but there are others with better mids.  Might want to look into the latest version of the LCD-2f, EL8 open, HE-400i or even a HD-650, all which have better mids than the T1 and TH-900 IMO and are not lacking in bass either.

May 10, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #10,147 of 10,994
  I already have the he500, I don't think the hps you reconmand can beat it in mids.

If you like good mids and bass, then I would look at something other than the T1 or TH-900, both are lacking a touch in the mids to me, both are great sounding but there are others with better mids.  Might want to look into the latest version of the LCD-2f, EL8 open, HE-400i or even a HD-650, all which have better mids than the T1 and TH-900 IMO and are not lacking in bass either.

In part, I do think it depends on what kind of a mid-emphasis you're looking for.  I personally steered clear of the EL8 - sounded rather off to me. HE-400i was definitely more fun sounding with slight bass and treble emphasis, not exactly what I'd call a mid-focused can.  The HD-650 is good, with a thick and full mid-range.  LCD-2s play in this category, though it could be said that it is a tad bass heavy.  Fazored I did find it to be fairly agreeable though!  The T1 has a very clean mid range that extends pretty darned well in the uppermids, making a good transition to the highs.  Definitely not an option to be written off. 

@John Q Lin do you have anything particular in mind?

May 10, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #10,148 of 10,994

I already have the he500, I don't think the hps you reconmand can beat it in mids.

In part, I do think it depends on what kind of a mid-emphasis you're looking for.  I personally steered clear of the EL8 - sounded rather off to me. HE-400i was definitely more fun sounding with slight bass and treble emphasis, not exactly what I'd call a mid-focused can.  The HD-650 is good, with a thick and full mid-range.  LCD-2s play in this category, though it could be said that it is a tad bass heavy.  Fazored I did find it to be fairly agreeable though!  The T1 has a very clean mid range that extends pretty darned well in the uppermids, making a good transition to the highs.  Definitely not an option to be written off. 

It's either Frostex TH-900 or the T1

May 10, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #10,150 of 10,994

Why just these two?

If you get the TH-900, consider the Lawton tuneup. For $50 it will give you better overall sound.

May 10, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #10,151 of 10,994
If it is either TH-900 or the T1, I would choose the T1 definitely. The T1 is only headphone I have, other than the MDR-SA3000 which I had sold, allows me listening to a vocalist moving towards to / away from the microphone in a recording, similar to what you can experience in a good speaker setup. Once you have experienced this kind of 3D realism, every other headphone will sound flat, no matter how its FR is like.

May 10, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #10,152 of 10,994

Why just these two?

If you get the TH-900, consider the Lawton tuneup. For $50 it will give you better overall sound.

I don't know why, I unfortunately does not have a chance to demo any of the high end cans. I'm going with those two base on the impression of others. they seem to be held in high regards. I heard great thing about the He6 as well and the lcd 2, they are also on my list, but money is the biggest issue, I think the He500 beats the 400i and hd650. so im not going go down that road, and I have the hd600.

May 10, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #10,153 of 10,994
  If it is either TH-900 or the T1, I would choose the T1 definitely. The T1 is only headphone I have, other than the MDR-SA3000 which I had sold, allows me listening to a vocalist moving towards to / away from the microphone in a recording, similar to what you can experience in a good speaker setup. Once you have experienced this kind of 3D realism, every other headphone will sound flat, no matter how its FR is like.

I see you have the he500 too, which one gets more head time? So, T1 its more realistic sounding? or true to the recording?

May 10, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #10,154 of 10,994
@John Q Lin, I hope that you are also considering the whole audio chain that is used when someone gives their impression of how that headphone sounds.  While I've only heard the HE-500 on my friends system (Hugo TT) and it sounded great, but when I compared it to a HD-650 driven with a MHDT Pagoda (DAC) and Liquid glass (amp) the HE-500 couldn't match it, bass, mids, and highs are all better on the HD-650.  I use a BH Crack for the HD-650 and I feel that its still slightly better than the HE-500 in the mids, bass is better on the HE-500, the highs are about even to me.

T1 is another headphone that I feel needs to be driven properly to get the most out of them, while they sound great with the BH Crack, they go to another level with better gear. 

@thatonenoob, I always though the TH-900 was known for its bass, its listed on many bass-head can lists, or did I read it wrong

May 10, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #10,155 of 10,994
  @John Q Lin, I hope that you are also considering the whole audio chain that is used when someone gives their impression of how that headphone sounds.  While I've only heard the HE-500 on my friends system (Hugo TT) and it sounded great, but when I compared it to a HD-650 driven with a MHDT Pagoda (DAC) and Liquid glass (amp) the HE-500 couldn't match it, bass, mids, and highs are all better on the HD-650.  I use a BH Crack for the HD-650 and I feel that its still slightly better than the HE-500 in the mids, bass is better on the HE-500, the highs are about even to me.

T1 is another headphone that I feel needs to be driven properly to get the most out of them, while they sound great with the BH Crack, they go to another level with better gear. 

@thatonenoob, I always though the TH-900 was known for its bass, its listed on many bass-head can lists, or did I read it wrong

Yes the TH-900 is known for it's bass along with the TH-600. In my opinion, they can have a little to much bass depending on the material you're listening to, but most of time it's just right. The TH-900 has clean, tight bass as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back