The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 21, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #10,111 of 10,994
Hi, I'm looking to upgrade my he500, should I go with T1 or he-6. and I have the grace design m9xx amp.

I'm looking at project amber as mine 2nd amp. any inputs?

You should really be looking at the Enigma Acoustics Dharma D-1000. It splits the difference between the two, soundwise... and it doesn't require an amp upgrade.

Apr 21, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #10,112 of 10,994
  Hi, I'm looking to upgrade my he500, should I go with T1 or he-6. and I have the grace design m9xx amp.

I'm looking at project amber as mine 2nd amp. any inputs?

as a long-term fan of all three headphones, I am not sure either the T1 or the HE-6 would be an upgrade given the character of Grace Design amps. What music do you listen to?

Apr 21, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #10,114 of 10,994
  I listen to classical, classic rock, R&B. metal. a little bit of everything.

I have heard an earlier version of your amp with my T1 and thought it was a great pairing for the music I was listening to back then (mainly baroque and classical with period instruments). I have always found the T1 a bit soulless with rock/soul/R&B. Only after pairing them to the Cavalli LC I convinced myself the T1 can play everything as well or better than the HE500 does. The HE-6 is a superior headphone that is rather difficult to actually enjoy. Maybe the Grace has enough juice to drive it, never heard them together unfortunately.

Whatever you decide, I'd recommend to keep the HE-500 around for a while, lest you suffer from upgrade remorse...

Apr 26, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #10,115 of 10,994
Does anyone use EQ with the T1? I'm using the Equalizer APO, which really helped out my HD800. Apart from making my own EQ settings based on the freq curves of T1, any advise how to make one properly or profile shared would be greatly appreciated.

Apr 26, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #10,116 of 10,994
I've used the built-in Parametric EQ in JRIVER Media Center as follows:
32Hz - Q=.55, Gain 3dB
320Hz, Q=0.5, Gain -4.5dB
7700Hz, Q=3, Gain -6dB

Sometimes when the recording is very bright I engage a forth setting.
5500Hz, Q=3, Gain -3dB

Best of all, everything is reversible.

Apr 26, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #10,117 of 10,994
  Does anyone use EQ with the T1? I'm using the Equalizer APO, which really helped out my HD800. Apart from making my own EQ settings based on the freq curves of T1, any advise how to make one properly or profile shared would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have the frequency response of your T1?

Apr 26, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #10,118 of 10,994

If you want more bass, increase the lower frequencies. If you want less tremble, decrease the upper frequencies. If you want more midrange, well, you get the idea.

There is no "proper" eq; it's all about what you like.

Apr 26, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #10,119 of 10,994
  I've used the built-in Parametric EQ in JRIVER Media Center as follows:
32Hz - Q=.55, Gain 3dB
320Hz, Q=0.5, Gain -4.5dB
7700Hz, Q=3, Gain -6dB

Sometimes when the recording is very bright I engage a forth setting.
5500Hz, Q=3, Gain -3dB

Best of all, everything is reversible.

Nice I'll try those settings

Do you have the frequency response of your T1?

I don't think so, I'm just using headroom's frequency graph

If you want more bass, increase the lower frequencies. If you want less tremble, decrease the upper frequencies. If you want more midrange, well, you get the idea.

I know everyone's tastes are different, but I would like somewhere to start instead of blindly doing it.

Apr 26, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #10,120 of 10,994

I know everyone's tastes are different, but I would like somewhere to start instead of blindly doing it.

I can't resist. Setting EQ blindly is exactly the right way to do it. Listen. Close your eyes. What more do you need? More bass? Less Treble? Heck, start with the preset in your equalization. There is no "right" answer here, so no one can really help other than to tell you what they like.

Apr 26, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #10,121 of 10,994
  I don't think so, I'm just using headroom's frequency graph

That seems to be a good reference for early T1s (serial number under 4000)
There's some evidence that late T1s aren't that bright around 7-8kHz

Apr 26, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #10,122 of 10,994
That's why I make the adjustments copied below...it sounds better to my ears:

32Hz - Q=.55, Gain 3dB  ---  Enhance some bass "punch" without making it sound bloated
320Hz, Q=0.5, Gain -4.5dB  --- Simulated the dip in frequency below 1,000Hz from the Harmon Kardon curve.
7700Hz, Q=3, Gain -6dB  --- I played a frequency sweep and, to my ears, felt the peak centered around that frequency

Sometimes when the recording is very bright I engage a fourth setting,.
5500Hz, Q=3, Gain -3dB

I used the graph published @ headphone.com as a starting point.  Beyer T1 serial # 5463

In the end, I took out all the mods and settled on EQ.  Of course that's how MY setup works out, but YMMV.

Apr 30, 2016 at 4:55 AM Post #10,124 of 10,994
Can't stop listening to the T1 with the Crack, what an amazing combination. While I prefer the HD800 with my iDSD for EDM's, I actually now much prefer the T1 with the Crack for vocals and such. I tried a few EQ settings, but honestly I don't find EQ'ing the T1 to be that much needed using the Crack w/ speedball. It also makes less difference on the sound than EQ'ing the HD800.

Any critiques on my EQ below?

Apr 30, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #10,125 of 10,994
Interesting update for me...

I found the T1 to so spoil me for listening that I have been frustrated with in ear offerings and at least one person here recommended that I just run down the tesla tech Beyerdynamic cooperation in ears with A and K, the AK T8 ie, as at least coming close to the T1s.

I found a dealer out of NJ who offered a significant discount, sold my almost new (and liked) Shure and got them. 

I love them.  

For me, in terms of definition and soundstage, they come closest to what I have experienced with the T1.2! 

I'm still playing with the sleeves and getting used to in ears, but, wow, are these special!  

Though I forget those who recommended these..please accept my "thanks!" for the recommendation. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back