The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 13, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #8,537 of 10,994
  Is the WA7 + WA7tp a good match for the T1? Is the Dacmin CX a better combo?

I had the WA7 + T1 combo and eventually winded up selling the WA7 because I didn't like the pairing - WA7 has no trouble driving the T1s, but to me the sound was congested and somewhat harsh. This was brought into focus when I paired the T1s with a Chord Qute EX and a dedicated tube amp: major improvement in sound. My feeling is a lot more attention was given to the amp section of the WA7 than the DAC. Can't comment on the Dacmin CX - never heard it.

Feb 13, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #8,538 of 10,994
I think I going to pass up on the offer. My lifestyle doesn't allow me to sit at home listening to music especially with open headphones that leak a lot. I probably only get 30 mins of listening time a week if I'm lucky. 

@Fungus - if seller still looking for buyer, I have a friend in Auckland who is looking for a mint T1. Only to happy to put the two guys in touch with each other. PM me if interested

Feb 13, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #8,540 of 10,994

I had the WA7 + T1 combo and eventually winded up selling the WA7 because I didn't like the pairing - WA7 has no trouble driving the T1s, but to me the sound was congested and somewhat harsh. This was brought into focus when I paired the T1s with a Chord Qute EX and a dedicated tube amp: major improvement in sound. My feeling is a lot more attention was given to the amp section of the WA7 than the DAC. Can't comment on the Dacmin CX - never heard it.

Do you think the WA7 dac was causing the congested and harsh sound?

Feb 13, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #8,541 of 10,994
  Do you think the WA7 dac was causing the congested and harsh sound?

In my opinion, yes - personally I don't think it's a great DAC and the T1s showed it up. This was confirmed by using another (higher quality) DAC and doing side-by-side comparisons. Must stress that's only my take on it though, maybe others have had better experiences with the combo.

Either way, I would see if you can demo the WA7 with T1s before purchasing - I didn't have that luxury living in the UK, where there are no Woo stockists.

Feb 13, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #8,542 of 10,994

In my opinion, yes - personally I don't think it's a great DAC and the T1s showed it up. This was confirmed by using another (higher quality) DAC and doing side-by-side comparisons. Must stress that's only my take on it though, maybe others have had better experiences with the combo.

Either way, I would see if you can demo the WA7 with T1s before purchasing - I didn't have that luxury living in the UK, where there are no Woo stockists.

I own the WA7 but cannot demo the T1 anywhere in Chicago. I also own a unopened Dacmini CX which is supposed to be a phenomenal DAC but I do not want to open it unless it is worth keeping for the WA7. Selling the DACmini pays for most of a T1 on the used market

Feb 13, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #8,544 of 10,994

Good news is that the T1 stock cabling is pretty much already set-up for balanced.  So all you'd really need to do is reterminate the jack.

Quote:
Can one get balanced cables for the t1? I would love to drive the t1 through my Ragnarok, in balanced mode?

Yep, there are some guys on here who have done that mod. And I think Drew and Moon Audio does it, as well. I'm not a mod guy, so can't help with the details....hopefully someone else will chime in about that. But I do know its possible :)

This might help.  I just ordered this adapter from Venus Audio on eBay.  The guy's name is Dale.  He makes the adapter with different types of wire; I chose Cardas. My initial question about an adapter is at the very bottom; his reply w/picture is a the top :  (I copy & pasted the picture from my eBay account/messages.  Sorry it doesn't come bigger than this unless it's on my account which I can't do on Head-fi for security reasons.  Basically one end is for the 1/4 plug of your HP cable to go into and the other end is a 4 pin connector for your amp).

Dear beatlebob4,

Like this?
  - venus_audio

color]

Dear venus_audio,

Hi, I have a question about something else, hopefully you can help me. Does this exist : an adapter to connect a 1/4 cable plug to a 4 pin xlr plug which then connects into a 4 pin output jack at the front of a HP amp, ie. the Auralic Taurus mkII. I have Beyerdynamic T1 HPs & because the cable not detachable I was hoping there would exist an adapter that would permit me to connect the 1/4 plug into the adapter which at the other end would have a xlr 4 pin connection.
Can't find any. Hope you can help. I'm not a handy man so I can't even imagine recabling/converting the T1s into a balanced mode myself. Thanks.

To Plakat, Punit & MrEleventy : Thank you all for helping me out & teaching me about this adapter/honest mistake I almost made.  You all most likely saved me from frying a very good & expensive amp.  Grateful to you all.  That's another example of why I like this site.  People help one another & one gets to learn important things. The seller is giving me a full refund BTW. 
wink.gif

Feb 13, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #8,545 of 10,994
i had mini-xlr's installed into the cups by btg audio, brian did a great job, and the price was very reasonable , 
now i can use any cable that use audeze type connectors 

61ced2e4_cable.jpeg

Feb 13, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #8,546 of 10,994
@Fungus - if seller still looking for buyer, I have a friend in Auckland who is looking for a mint T1. Only to happy to put the two guys in touch with each other. PM me if interested

I don't think the seller wants to respond to my emails any more 
frown.gif

I wish some sellers would be more upfront cos I just purchased a silver dragon v1 cable off a headfi member and haven't heard a word from him after finding out my payment was rejected/refunded. 

Feb 13, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #8,548 of 10,994
  i had mini-xlr's installed into the cups by btg audio, brian did a great job, and the price was very reasonable , 
now i can use any cable that use audeze type connectors 

61ced2e4_cable.jpeg

Very cool, Jay. What cables did you settle into?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back