The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 15, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #8,566 of 10,994
I wonder if someone could compare the Meier (Jazz, Classic) or Violectric amps (V90, V200) with any of Bottlehead amps? They all were said to work great with the T1s. I have read the complete thread but couldn't find any opinions on how they compare.

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #8,567 of 10,994

While I can only talk about the A2 out of longer experience (tested the A20 only for a rather short time, not because its bad but because I already had the A2) they definitely are very good with the T1. Still Jans stack wins pricewise... And the Classic is more versatile than the A20 given its high output power and low output impedance.

Nice...and for the record, I never meant to imply the Meier gear was the *best* for the T1s, just that it's an incredibly good pairing and I'm surprised more people don't pull the trigger on Jan's gear. 

I've heard nothing but solid feedback on the Beyer amps. 

Feb 16, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #8,568 of 10,994

Nice...and for the record, I never meant to imply the Meier gear was the *best* for the T1s, just that it's an incredibly good pairing and I'm surprised more people don't pull the trigger on Jan's gear. 

I've heard nothing but solid feedback on the Beyer amps. 

I don't think anybody did misinterpret your posting in that way. Yes, Jans dac/amp combination works really well with the T1 and does that at a very interesting price. If uncolored, neutral reproduction is the main objective thats a very affordable solution one can enjoy for a long time. No bling though...

Feb 16, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #8,572 of 10,994
  Do the t1's leak a lot more than the t5p's and if so how much more?  

T1 are open, T5p are closed.

I think this post should be read in this way: T1 leak as much as any normal open cans do (IME only a bit less than HE-6), and T5p leak as little as any true closed cans, which is almost inaudible from 1m distance (assuming normal listening volume). 

Feb 17, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #8,574 of 10,994
  Just upgraded from a pile of Fiio (E17+E09K) to a pile of Schiit (Valhalla 2+Bifrost USB Gen2, w/o uber) to drive my T1 No.23xx.
Listening to classic or soundtrack definitely improves; female vocal is great too.
But I just start to listen to metal, Chthonic that is (usually categorized as black metal, but themselves called it "orient metal").
The Schiit pile with metal is somewhat.... cool? Yeah the sound stage and separation is much better than the Fiio pile, but the players seems to be more distant from me too, with less passion.
It helps to hear the layers of sound in metal, but the atmosphere and intimacy somewhat loses in the process.
I've ordered the uber analog but has not arrive yet. Fingers crossed :wink:

Well it seems that the cable is not a good match for the setup...
Change with another (unbranded, who knows?) cable improves the problem.
But since the uber analog is still in US, supposedly trapped by the bad weather, I'll have to start the cable hunt after the upgrade arrives.

Feb 17, 2015 at 6:03 AM Post #8,575 of 10,994
  what are good 12ax7 tubes for the T1 and the best place to buy them?

I'm using a Sylvania 5751 black plate 12ax7 with my HP8 amp, but there're so many available, I would never say 'this is the one' - just seems to work quite nicely in my setup and I tried a few different ones. For a start, are you looking to buy new production 12ax7 or NOS? There are some good sites like Tube Depot and where you can buy new and vintage tubes, and eBay is always an option too but I would be careful about buying tubes on eBay: you basically have to trust sellers on their stated emissions tests. It's probably safer to buy from somewhere like Tube Depot, but then again, some of rarest vintage tubes might only be found on eBay.

You might find this thread helpful: http://www.head-fi.org/t/39324/12ax7-tubes-rate-your-favourites

Feb 17, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #8,576 of 10,994
Any mods that can be done to reduce leakage and turn them into closed headphones without sacrificing sound?  
Should be achievable since the t1's share the same exact housing as the t5p with no vents on the cups.  
I've always wonders why all the beyerdynamic open headphones don't have vents on the outside of the cups.
All the Audeze lcd headphones have vents except for the XC. 

Feb 17, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #8,577 of 10,994
  Any mods that can be done to reduce leakage and turn them into closed headphones without sacrificing sound?  

There was a lot on that a few pages back you may want to do a search. If you are looking for headphones that don't leak sound you really should consider a different phone rather than mods to the T1. Just my opinion but there are some very good closed cans available if that is your preference. Once you start modding something like the T1's to that level you are really creating your own custom headphones. I would think it better to trot down to your local dealer and try out a bunch of high end closed cans.

Feb 17, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #8,578 of 10,994
  There was a lot on that a few pages back you may want to do a search. If you are looking for headphones that don't leak sound you really should consider a different phone rather than mods to the T1. Just my opinion but there are some very good closed cans available if that is your preference. Once you start modding something like the T1's to that level you are really creating your own custom headphones. I would think it better to trot down to your local dealer and try out a bunch of high end closed cans.

I got a extremely good offer----just couldn't pass it up   

Feb 17, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #8,579 of 10,994
Anyone else notice how the price of T1 (new or used) can swing by up to $400 in a single day on amazon and elsewhere? The most volatile priced headphones (or any product for that matter) I have ever seen.

Feb 17, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #8,580 of 10,994
Yes, the price for T1's seems to fluctuate more often than other high end headphones. I paid $699 for mine last year from Buydig. Brand new - not b stock or open box! If you are patient you can find a good deal somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back