The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 12, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #8,522 of 10,994

Purple Heart, same as my profile photo

Nice, man...that would have been my choice, too. Purple and black is badass. 

Feb 12, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #8,523 of 10,994
Yes that is true, they have cut their teeth in the dynamic drivers but it would be fascinating to see what they could do.

Very much so. Plus it will be nice to see that trickling down into the rest of their model range as well...

Feb 12, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #8,524 of 10,994
  Good news is that the T1 stock cabling is pretty much already set-up for balanced.  So all you'd really need to do is reterminate the jack.

Quote:
Can one get balanced cables for the t1? I would love to drive the t1 through my Ragnarok, in balanced mode?

Yep, there are some guys on here who have done that mod. And I think Drew and Moon Audio does it, as well. I'm not a mod guy, so can't help with the details....hopefully someone else will chime in about that. But I do know its possible :)

This might help.  I just ordered this adapter from Venus Audio on eBay.  The guy's name is Dale.  He makes the adapter with different types of wire; I chose Cardas. My initial question about an adapter is at the very bottom; his reply w/picture is a the top :  (I copy & pasted the picture from my eBay account/messages.  Sorry it doesn't come bigger than this unless it's on my account which I can't do on Head-fi for security reasons.  Basically one end is for the 1/4 plug of your HP cable to go into and the other end is a 4 pin connector for your amp).

Dear beatlebob4,

Like this?
  - venus_audio

color]

Dear venus_audio,

Hi, I have a question about something else, hopefully you can help me. Does this exist : an adapter to connect a 1/4 cable plug to a 4 pin xlr plug which then connects into a 4 pin output jack at the front of a HP amp, ie. the Auralic Taurus mkII. I have Beyerdynamic T1 HPs & because the cable not detachable I was hoping there would exist an adapter that would permit me to connect the 1/4 plug into the adapter which at the other end would have a xlr 4 pin connection.
Can't find any. Hope you can help. I'm not a handy man so I can't even imagine recabling/converting the T1s into a balanced mode myself. Thanks.

Feb 12, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #8,525 of 10,994
  This might help.  I just ordered this adapter from Venus Audio on eBay.  The guy's name is Dale.  He makes the adapter with different types of wire; I chose Cardas. My initial question about an adapter is at the very bottom; his reply w/picture is a the top :

Dear beatlebob4,

Like this?
  - venus_audio

Dear venus_audio,

Hi, I have a question about something else, hopefully you can help me. Does this exist : an adapter to connect a 1/4 cable plug to a 4 pin xlr plug which then connects into a 4 pin output jack at the front of a HP amp, ie. the Auralic Taurus mkII. I have Beyerdynamic T1 HPs & because the cable not detachable I was hoping there would exist an adapter that would permit me to connect the 1/4 plug into the adapter which at the other end would have a xlr 4 pin connection.
Can't find any. Hope you can help. I'm not a handy man so I can't even imagine recabling/converting the T1s into a balanced mode myself. Thanks.

Whta I understand this is an adapter from XL4 male to 1/4" female... which does not make it balanced as the 1/4" is still only 3-pin... It just lets you connect a T1 to an amp that does not offer a 1/4" jack.

Careful though, I've heard that not every amp architecture is happy with doing that (i.e. shortening the - pins). 

Feb 12, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #8,526 of 10,994

Well now, I didn't know that; never considered the 3 pin unbalanced 1/4 plug.  Sh@! !!!  I've already ordered it so I don't know if the guy would cancel it.  Have to check the return policy.  Thanks Plakat.

Feb 12, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #8,527 of 10,994
Whta I understand this is an adapter from XL4 male to 1/4" female... which does not make it balanced as the 1/4" is still only 3-pin... It just lets you connect a T1 to an amp that does not offer a 1/4" jack.

Careful though, I've heard that not every amp architecture is happy with doing that (i.e. shortening the - pins). 
Agreed and should be heeded. Ray Samuel Audio's Lightning is like that where you can't just make an adapter and short the ground without burning out the output stage

Feb 12, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #8,528 of 10,994

Well now, I didn't know that; never considered the 3 pin unbalanced 1/4 plug.  Sh@! !!!  I've already ordered it so I don't know if the guy would cancel it.  Have to check the return policy.  Thanks Plakat.

Sorry to hear that. I guess the Auralic offers an unbalanced out and using this adapter will not gain you anything over that. The other way round would work: cut off the original connector with some spare cable, solder a female XL4 to that end, male XL4 to the other and you're ready to go balanced. Don't expect a night and day difference though...

Feb 12, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #8,529 of 10,994
Agreed and should be heeded. Ray Samuel Audio's Lightning is like that where you can't just make an adapter and short the ground without burning out the output stage

Thats exactly what I meant. I think one Schiit amp is also at risk.

Feb 12, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #8,530 of 10,994

Also Schiit Mjolnir.

Feb 12, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #8,532 of 10,994
No problem with asking...
It just means 'making electrical contact' between those parts of the amps output connector.

A symmetric / balanced amp does not use a common ground on the negative output connector, but different levels and the parts intended for right and left side may not get along very well when coming in direct contact so to say.

Feb 12, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #8,533 of 10,994
Is the WA7 + WA7tp a good match for the T1? Is the Dacmin CX a better combo?

Feb 12, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #8,535 of 10,994
$400 would be a total score for the T1. run dont walk & snag it off the seller!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back