The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 6, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #7,846 of 10,994
  I'm curious about your experience with the Lawton pads on the T1. They were made for other headphones. Do they fit the mounting on the T1's without modification? I would try them for the larger ear opening alone if they fit. There is no mention of this compatibility on the Lawton site? Perhaps you could also comment on the comfort? 

The Lawton pads are more comfortable for me because the ear openings are larger and the pads don't compress as much as the Beyerdynamic pads. They fit the T1 easily- you just need to stretch them a bit when installing them on the T1.

Aug 6, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #7,847 of 10,994
the lawton pads are angled..right? would the added angled drivers ..compress the soundstage?

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #7,849 of 10,994
  anyone tried the HM5 velor over the T1? Does it fit?
http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-hm5-velor-memory-foam-earpad-suitable-for-other-large-over-the-ear-headphones-1pc

======

Whenever i want to tame my T1 for a more bodacious sound on a CSP2+
i would use the TungSol 5AU4 tube for the back position.

Whoa dude, a most excellent tube choice!

Party On!

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #7,850 of 10,994
I have both of the new HM5 thick pads, in the Ear Pads Thread I tried the new Velours on the DT880's they fit but suck all the treble out and make the bass very boomy. The HM5's are not vented on the back side like the beyer pads are.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/639510/the-ear-pads-thread/270#post_10750698

:beerchug:

Aug 7, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #7,852 of 10,994
  Yup the Lyr is tube based. Now to test out the stock tubes and then get into the world of tube rolling.

Speaking of tubes and the T1, I just hit my personal audio jackpot combination of tubes.  Bottlehead Crack with Tung Sol 5998 + RCA 6sn7gt vt-231 grey glass (1944) with my T1's and I am in sonic heaven.  

The RCA replaced a Sylvania "Bad Boy".  I was happy with the Bad Boy but man, am I glad I decided to try the grey glass RCA.

No more tube rolling for me...

Aug 7, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #7,853 of 10,994

Speaking of tubes and the T1, I just hit my personal audio jackpot combination of tubes.  Bottlehead Crack with Tung Sol 5998 + RCA 6sn7gt vt-231 grey glass (1944) with my T1's and I am in sonic heaven.  

The RCA replaced a Sylvania "Bad Boy".  I was happy with the Bad Boy but man, am I glad I decided to try the grey glass RCA.

No more tube rolling for me...

Some of those early 1940 & 50's tubes really are magical. To be honest I find a lot of pleasure when I use the early ones I have, not only is it amazing they have survived in one piece for 60-70 years but I marvel at how they actually still work and can sound so good after so long. Who knows perhaps they mature with age like a fine wine!

Aug 9, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #7,854 of 10,994
  the lawton pads are angled..right? would the added angled drivers ..compress the soundstage?

I was wondering the same thing. I am tempted to try this on my T1's because the opening of the stock pads are a bit small for my ears.

I was mistaken and had the Alpha Pads (not the Lawton pads) on the T1.
The Alpha Pads make the T1 sound more like speakers, with a fuller, richer sound. I don't notice much difference in soundstage.
If you find the T1's treble fatiguing and it's bass a bit lacking, get yourself a pair of Alpha Pads.

Aug 12, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #7,855 of 10,994
I want to ask again if anyone has heard the Schiit Vali with T1. This is not for me - I have WA2 but for a friend

Aug 12, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #7,856 of 10,994
Hello,

I'm hoping you could help me out with selecting the right DAC/amp. I'm very new to the hifi world and just bought my T1 a month or two ago. I typically listen using the computer and bought the DACPort with the intention of it being a temporary solution.

I'm currently based in Singapore and found 2 interesting products. I'm not sure if there's an obvious choice between these two-- and I am just too new to know... or if there should be something else I need to consider.

Oppo HA-1 (USD1,400). Find it intriguing because of the ESS chip I've been hearing a lot about. In addition, it has balanced outputs. I don't have any XLR headphones and am hesitant to modify my T1 and void the warranty. Nevertheless, it's good to know, I suppose, that I have it in case I decide to buy a new headphone... Don't know if that is logical though. One concern is that I recall reading some reviews that it might not be the best for T1?

Schiit Bifrost (uber analog + USB) + Schiit Vahlalla 2 + Psyt RCA (USD1,100 for the set). Read quite a few things on this thread about it being a good combo for T1.

Open to any suggestions. Admittedly, USD1,400 is already streching my budget ... In fact, I would have prefered to spend USD1,000 or less :) Unfortunately, prices in Singapore also tend to be higher. So the WA2 is out of reach because of price and I still need to add a DAC for that.

Thanks!!!

Aug 12, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #7,857 of 10,994
  Hello,

I'm hoping you could help me out with selecting the right DAC/amp. I'm very new to the hifi world and just bought my T1 a month or two ago. I typically listen using the computer and bought the DACPort with the intention of it being a temporary solution.

I'm currently based in Singapore and found 2 interesting products. I'm not sure if there's an obvious choice between these two-- and I am just too new to know... or if there should be something else I need to consider.

Oppo HA-1 (USD1,400). Find it intriguing because of the ESS chip I've been hearing a lot about. In addition, it has balanced outputs. I don't have any XLR headphones and am hesitant to modify my T1 and void the warranty. Nevertheless, it's good to know, I suppose, that I have it in case I decide to buy a new headphone... Don't know if that is logical though. One concern is that I recall reading some reviews that it might not be the best for T1?

Schiit Bifrost (uber analog + USB) + Schiit Vahlalla 2 + Psyt RCA (USD1,100 for the set). Read quite a few things on this thread about it being a good combo for T1.

Open to any suggestions. Admittedly, USD1,400 is already streching my budget ... In fact, I would have prefered to spend USD1,000 or less :) Unfortunately, prices in Singapore also tend to be higher. So the WA2 is out of reach because of price and I still need to add a DAC for that.

Thanks!!!

Schiit Bifrost Uber is a great DAC but I prefer Lyr over Vahlalla for the T1.  

Aug 12, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #7,858 of 10,994
Try the trade forum for used Schiit gear if you don't mind. That would easily get you a set of Bifrost Uber+Lyr under $1k. 

Aug 12, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #7,859 of 10,994
my bet is on a tube amp with the T1....am using a budget darkvoice336se, v satisfied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back