The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jul 30, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #7,832 of 10,994
Thanks. At the moment the WA2 is a bit out of my budget. I will check the classified section. I was looking to spend about $400-$500 for now so that was why the Crack+Speedball or Lyr piqued my interest. 

Jul 30, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #7,833 of 10,994
  Thanks. At the moment the WA2 is a bit out of my budget. I will check the classified section. I was looking to spend about $400-$500 for now so that was why the Crack+Speedball or Lyr piqued my interest. 

I don't think you can go wrong with either of those.  You can also tweak the Crack with a few inexpensive modifications as funds allow later on which will help make the T1's really sing. You might also like to check out some tube costs for both amps there is a very noticeable difference in sonic quality with the Crack running a stock $5 6080 and a premium tube like a Tung-sol 5998 or GEC 6as7g which come in around $75-$150.

Perhaps someone here can give an idea of costs for a set of premium tubes for the Lyr?

Aug 1, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #7,834 of 10,994

I don't think you can go wrong with either of those.  You can also tweak the Crack with a few inexpensive modifications as funds allow later on which will help make the T1's really sing. You might also like to check out some tube costs for both amps there is a very noticeable difference in sonic quality with the Crack running a stock $5 6080 and a premium tube like a Tung-sol 5998 or GEC 6as7g which come in around $75-$150.

Perhaps someone here can give an idea of costs for a set of premium tubes for the Lyr?

+1 , and as far as I've known, upgrading tubes for the WA2 costs twice as much as the Crack, because the Crack just uses a single power tube and driver tube
biggrin.gif

Aug 1, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #7,835 of 10,994

Can you elaborate JamieMcc?  I'm currently using T1 with BHC with speedball with no modification (purchased from someone here).   I like it so much so I bought a new BHC Kit with speedball (my first DIY Project), purchased Japan Alps RK27 100K Log A Volume Control Potentiometer Attenuator upgrade off ebay.   So what else do i need to buy for this project to "make the T1's really sing".  Thanks JamieMcc.

Aug 1, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #7,836 of 10,994
  Can you elaborate JamieMcc?  I'm currently using T1 with BHC with speedball with no modification (purchased from someone here).   I like it so much so I bought a new BHC Kit with speedball (my first DIY Project), purchased Japan Alps RK27 100K Log A Volume Control Potentiometer Attenuator upgrade off ebay.   So what else do i need to buy for this project to "make the T1's really sing".  Thanks JamieMcc.

Hi upgrading the stock volume pot one for the Alps or a stepped attenuator means your off to a good start. You might like to consider changing the electrolytic 100uf coupling capacitors for film ones with a Teflon bypass.

A list of probably the most common modifications you will see with  some rough figurers

1 Volume Pot  $20-$30
2 Film output caps + bypass (lots of types to choose from here Paper in oil, Mylar, Film & foil, Copper Tin, Dry or Wet, then bypass with a Teflon, you don't need to spend a fortune to get good results)  $30-$70+
3 Bypass the last electrolytic cap in the powers supply with a small film capacitor. $7
4 Replace the last resistor in the power supply with a choke $15-$20
5 Replace the last electrolytic capacitor in the power supply with a film capacitor $ $20-$60+
6 Resistor switchable mod for speed ball to run E80cc and 12bh7 input tubes more optimally

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #7,838 of 10,994
I got my T1 fired up last night and they sound great. I have them being powered off of Lyr with the Modi as the dac. Now to figure out what to do with my HE-400 as they will be on the bench for a while.

Aug 5, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #7,840 of 10,994
  I got my T1 fired up last night and they sound great. I have them being powered off of Lyr with the Modi as the dac. Now to figure out what to do with my HE-400 as they will be on the bench for a while.

Congrats!  I usually use the Lyr for my T1 and they sound great. I guess your next upgrade would be the Bifrost Uber. :wink:

Aug 5, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #7,841 of 10,994
  I've switched to using the Lawton Angle Pads on the T1.
Now the bass sounds full and there's no more sibilance:)

I'm curious about your experience with the Lawton pads on the T1. They were made for other headphones. Do they fit the mounting on the T1's without modification? I would try them for the larger ear opening alone if they fit. There is no mention of this compatibility on the Lawton site? Perhaps you could also comment on the comfort? 

Aug 5, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #7,842 of 10,994
anyone tried the HM5 velor over the T1? Does it fit?
http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-hm5-velor-memory-foam-earpad-suitable-for-other-large-over-the-ear-headphones-1pc

======

Whenever i want to tame my T1 for a more bodacious sound on a CSP2+
i would use the TungSol 5AU4 tube for the back position.

Aug 6, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #7,843 of 10,994
Has anyone tried the Schiit modi or Vali with T1? I have heard a lot of good things about Vali/HD800 and considering I have both T1 and HD800 it would be nice to know if the Vali was use able with both? 

Aug 6, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #7,844 of 10,994
  Has anyone tried the Schiit modi or Vali with T1? I have heard a lot of good things about Vali/HD800 and considering I have both T1 and HD800 it would be nice to know if the Vali was use able with both? 

I currently have my T1 connected to a Lyr+Modi stack. It sounds great to me. I know at some point I will probably upgrade the Modi but for now I am very satisfied. 

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #7,845 of 10,994
  I currently have my T1 connected to a Lyr+Modi stack. It sounds great to me. I know at some point I will probably upgrade the Modi but for now I am very satisfied. 

Thanks for posting. The Lyr is tube based right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back