The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 25, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #7,516 of 10,994
Mine have no markings either and I bought them from Germany! They sound great though, so I'm assuming they're genuine :)

Mine says:  "Peacock MKII . 2x2x0,22mm^2 (AWG24) . audio[aes/ebu] . OFC . by SOMMERCABLE Germany".

Headphones were bought a year and a half ago in EU.  It's actually not a very expensive cable at all, I remember checking out the Sommercable website, I think the price for this particular cable is like 3 € per meter, so about 10 for the entire cable on the T1's. 

May 25, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #7,517 of 10,994

Thanks for the reply.  Other than the lack of Peacock MK II markings on the wires, other physical details look fine when compared to the stock photos.  Of course, T1 being the best sounding headphone I own/owned, I can't complain about the way it translates my music.  

I guess I was questing (and suspicious of) why my T1 didn't have the cable markings whereas some other ones do have them.  My serial number being 19K+ could it be that Beyerdynamic stop using MKII wires??

Once again, thanks for the reply earthpeople and all the good info on this thread.

Mine Serial Number 18K+ and no markings on the wires either.  I love mine.  This will be my last HP.

May 25, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #7,518 of 10,994

Make sure you test extensively and only buy some really special amp, because STX already drivers T1 very well (despite what a lot of people, mostly based on prejudices, will tell you).  Get some LM49990 op-amps (smoother, bigger, more natural sound) and try it again.  I have a Musical Fidelity M1HPAP which sounds really good in the 1000 dollar segment and a lot of people who tried it really like it, as you can see from reviews on the internet too, but really, it's only marginally better than the STX, especially with high impedance headphones. Hell, even the Asus Xonar D1 (around 70 dollars) makes the T1's sound pretty much identical (minus the really high volume) when volume matched to the Musical Fidelity M1DAC and M1HPAP.  What I'm trying to say, don't expect the T1's to magically blossom and sound like completely new headphones. They already sound 90% as good as they ever will out of any setup on earth (again, despite what a lot of people who like to greatly exaggerate will tell you).

That's interesting because I can tell there is a difference between the HD600's and the T1s but not massive. The soundstage is a bit better and the bass is as well, but nothing insane. Did I get a defective pair or does it take a while to get used to the sound to notice the nuances? I don't see the need in spending $2-3k for a setup if I won't even notice the difference. 

May 25, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #7,519 of 10,994
  That's interesting because I can tell there is a difference between the HD600's and the T1s but not massive. The soundstage is a bit better and the bass is as well, but nothing insane. Did I get a defective pair or does it take a while to get used to the sound to notice the nuances? I don't see the need in spending $2-3k for a setup if I won't even notice the difference. 

The HD600 is a good headphone but there is a large difference between the HD600 and the T1. If you are not hearing that difference then your front end (dac, amp, etc) are not able to show the difference. Please post the equipment you are using with your T1's.

May 25, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #7,520 of 10,994
The HD600 is a good headphone but there is a large difference between the HD600 and the T1. If you are not hearing that difference then your front end (dac, amp, etc) are not able to show the difference. Please post the equipment you are using with your T1's.

X2

May 25, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #7,521 of 10,994

All I have at the moment is the Asus Xonar Essence STX set to the highest gain and plugged into the headphone port. My guess is there isn't enough power from the card itself to drive the T1's while it is great for the HD600's.

May 26, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #7,522 of 10,994
So I have a total of $1000. Now this includes the purchase of the T1's so I'm hoping to pick up a pair for around $750 and I'm curious about an amp/dac setup to pair with the T1. My source will be my pc at home. I'm thinking about going with the Schitt Audio Modi/Magni combo.

My question is if anyone has used this combo with these headphones or if there might be a better route to go with the remaining $250?

May 26, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #7,523 of 10,994
  All I have at the moment is the Asus Xonar Essence STX set to the highest gain and plugged into the headphone port. My guess is there isn't enough power from the card itself to drive the T1's while it is great for the HD600's.

That explains it. Put a decent dac and amp in front and you will see the difference. Even some of the dac/ amp combos will be a big step up for you. You don't have to spend a fortune to get a fair step up. Something from Audio gd would do it. They have a broad selection under $1000.

May 26, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #7,524 of 10,994
So I have a total of $1000. Now this includes the purchase of the T1's so I'm hoping to pick up a pair for around $750 and I'm curious about an amp/dac setup to pair with the T1. My source will be my pc at home. I'm thinking about going with the Schitt Audio Modi/Magni combo.

My question is if anyone has used this combo with these headphones or if there might be a better route to go with the remaining $250?

I used the Modi/Vali stack for a while (same price).

It was absolutely fine. My current setup is better, but that's a lot pricier.

A suggestion:

If you can swing a few $ more the Beyerdynamic A1 amp can be found for $600 as they are clearing inventory for the successor. It's an awesome solid state amp that has excellent synergy with the T1. If you like solid state sound, this will likely take you straight to your end game.

Personally I'd rather get at great amp and a cheap DAC than splitting the money 50/50.

http://www.amazon.com/Beyer-Dynamic-A1-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B0024NK32Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401083434&sr=8-1&keywords=beyerdynamic+a1

May 26, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #7,525 of 10,994

I went the BH Crack route and have since added film caps and a stepped attenuator for about $100 extra and am very happy with the results using the T1.

May 26, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #7,527 of 10,994
  That explains it. Put a decent dac and amp in front and you will see the difference. Even some of the dac/ amp combos will be a big step up for you. You don't have to spend a fortune to get a fair step up. Something from Audio gd would do it. They have a broad selection under $1000.

He can keep the STX as DAC , and focus first on the AMP . Going step by step is not bad some times
tongue.gif
.(and he will hear if their is a difference or not
redface.gif
)

May 26, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #7,528 of 10,994

I have a Musical Fidelity M1DAC and M1HPAP which are both excellent DAC and amp in the 1000 dollar price category according to all the reviews and experiences of people using them, and even match the sound signature of the T1's perfectly, and I still don't hear a "massive" difference between HD650's and T1's. It comes down to a sound signature difference much more than the actual sound quality difference. It's not like taking HD650's off and putting T1's makes me go wow, there is a difference, but nothing major, and there's nothing missing from the HD650's (and therefore HD600's) that would in any way degrade the listening experience, it's just a small step below. Like going from a 50 inch TV to a 42 inch TV, yes, it's slightly smaller at first, but after 5 minutes you get used to it again and you can watch a movie just as well as you did on the 50 inch one, ultimately having the same experience. Some people make you think that upgrading to x thousand dollar headphone amp and DAC will be like going from that 42 inch TV to an iMax 3D movie theater, which is just not true. I'm just being realistic here.  I don't really see how people hear massive differences between these headphones, because I never did. I've heard both of them out of some other really respectable amps like the Lehmann BCL or Beyerdynamic A1, and still the T1's sound just like T1's, they don't magically change when used with a slightly better amp. All the changes are really minor and we're really talking about the evolution of the sound rather than revolution.  I'm not saying HD650's are as good as T1's, or that T1's don't improve with better gear, but I think it's really important not to over-exaggerate when it comes to gear upgrades,  because that really makes inexperienced people spends tons of money on something that's going to only marginally improve their listening experience. That's why I say he should definitely not buy anything without trying it out first, because I know from my experience of owning the same gear as he does, plus much more expensive stuff, that the much more expensive stuff makes nowhere near as much difference as he hopes it will, or as some people suggest it will. Also, I really think people should not suggest someone to change their current setup with something else, if they haven't personally tried the setup that he currently has. Just my opinion. I wish someone had told me what I'm telling him now, might have saved me a couple of grands, instead I believed all the suggestions and hypes, and every single time, without exception, ended up with a sour face after discovering that what I've just payed 1000 dollars for (for example Musical Fidelity M1DAC) is barely distinguishable from something that costs 200 dollars (Asus Essence ST in this case). 

May 26, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #7,530 of 10,994
The Xonar STX is a decent piece of hardware. The soundcard is also connected to the PSU via a molex connector. It certainly has enough power to drive the T1 and HD600. You can enjoy the T1 plugged directly to it. 

That said, my own experience of getting a dedicated dac and amp was refinement in the music - detail and smoother sound which made it much easier on the ears. The latter I could only appreciate once I had something to compare the STX to. I think whether one thinks such improvements are worth it or substantial is a difficult question to answer for you. It may depend on the equipment you choose, the quality of music, personal tastes so on and so on. 

I don't have a HD600, but comparing with my HD650, the T1 is 'better' in sound and comfort. However, I would hesitate to give you impression of a huge gulf, and that putting on a T1 will be a mind blowing experience from the get go. No headphone is perfect to everyone's tastes. 

Personally appreciating such strengths and weaknesses was a gradual process (As was my experience with the T1, but not exclusively). From this gradual discovery you may decide that in the end is a substantial one (or not for that matter). I found my later impressions more profound than my immediate ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back