The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 29, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #7,546 of 10,994
I'm trying to decide between Bottlehead SEX and Yulong A18. What would be your opinions? I think A18 might be the safer road to go, but people seem to like T1 with tube amps...

May 29, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #7,547 of 10,994
I am listening now to  T1+Cornda Concerto...

I have to state that with this combination the music justa plays.

No musicality, no feeling, no mindgame, you dont get into the music , just plays , it finishes and you say...i was listening? No......

Pity...for me of course.

May 29, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #7,548 of 10,994
  I'm trying to decide between Bottlehead SEX and Yulong A18. What would be your opinions? I think A18 might be the safer road to go, but people seem to like T1 with tube amps...

Why do you feel A18 is safer? Just the DIY factor or is there something else you're concerned about with the S.E.X.?

(P.S. not trying to convince you to buy the S.E.X., just curious to understand more)

May 29, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #7,549 of 10,994
  I am listening now to  T1+Cornda Concerto...

I have to state that with this combination the music justa plays.

No musicality, no feeling, no mindgame, you dont get into the music , just plays , it finishes and you say...i was listening? No......

Pity...for me of course.

Sorry to hear about that. Which headphone does sound good to you? I love the T1 + Concerto combination. I hope you find what better suits your preference!

May 29, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #7,550 of 10,994
I have also the ST Asus and i think is better combination to my ears....

I have tried....D2000, DT770,DT800, HD650...

Only the HD650 put me in the mood to 'like' the music

The only one that i enjoy the music everytime  is the FX700 JVC, dynamic IEMS...

I paid them 880€...And i keep telling to myself that there is no way to sell them and lose money...

May 29, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #7,551 of 10,994
Got a AGD Master 9 today, drives the T1 with finesse & authority, good sound stage n bass & highs are extended n silky smooth. Gentlemen I think we may have a winner :L3000: . Will update how it goes.

One day, in the. Dissstant future...I will get to the Masters series.....One day..haiz :)

May 29, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #7,552 of 10,994

Why do you feel A18 is safer? Just the DIY factor or is there something else you're concerned about with the S.E.X.?

(P.S. not trying to convince you to buy the S.E.X., just curious to understand more)

Yeah.. simply because lacking the knowledge of tube amps, not very confident about building it, etc. 

May 29, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #7,553 of 10,994
  Yeah.. simply because lacking the knowledge of tube amps, not very confident about building it, etc. 

Fair enough. I would probably not recommend starting with the S.E.X. as your first DIY project unless you're comfortable soldering (you don't need to understand the amp design / electronics - I sure didn't). I can vouch for it as a great pairing with the T1s, but I can't compare with the Yulong.

Another amp I can vouch for though is the Matrix Quattro (amp, not DAC). If you run the T1s balanced out of the Quattro it's incredibly good for the money. (You don't have to run fully balanced - I hear no difference between balanced and single-ended inputs, but a huge benefit running balanced output)

May 29, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #7,554 of 10,994
I listened to the V200 with both T1 and HD800 last week and I think it sounded sublime. Certainly pairs very well with both of them, and the bass punch of the T1 was on a whole new level compared to my WA3. 

May 29, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #7,555 of 10,994

Fair enough. I would probably not recommend starting with the S.E.X. as your first DIY project unless you're comfortable soldering (you don't need to understand the amp design / electronics - I sure didn't). I can vouch for it as a great pairing with the T1s, but I can't compare with the Yulong.

Another amp I can vouch for though is the Matrix Quattro (amp, not DAC). If you run the T1s balanced out of the Quattro it's incredibly good for the money. (You don't have to run fully balanced - I hear no difference between balanced and single-ended inputs, but a huge benefit running balanced output)

Thanks, I'll find out reviews about the Matrix. I just found that there are a few ads now in the FS forum selling their S.E.X. amps. 
Anyone else that could possibly share insight about Bottlehead SEX vs Yulong A18 amping for T1?

May 30, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #7,557 of 10,994
Has anyone tried the Icon audio hp8? Having read the inner fidelity review and living in the UK so its better value compared to us amps as there's not import fees it could be the amp for my new T1s.

The HP8mk 11 se was top of my list to try for some time but be aware if you go for the cap upgrade the same as the Inner fidelity review it take the price up to around £730 if ordered at the same time as purchase when I enquired last year. 

This pushed it out of my comfort zone and I decided to try the Bottlehead Crack which I later modified. Its possible to build to a very high spec Crack for approximately half the cost of the Icon which really is superb with the T1's.

May 30, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #7,558 of 10,994
Has anyone tried the Icon audio hp8? Having read the inner fidelity review and living in the UK so its better value compared to us amps as there's not import fees it could be the amp for my new T1s.

Yep. In fact, I've got one on order right now! The HP8 is far and away the best amp I've heard to date with the T1 - fantastic synergy! It sounds incredibly smooth - taming that treble peak that I've found to be such a problem with a lot of SS amps I've tried the T1 with - and delivers some real low end grunt as well.

I haven't tried the WA2, which always seems to draw great praise for its synergy with the T1, but I do have a WA7 Fireflies, and I can say that a combination of HP8 MKII + Chord Qute EX DAC blows it out the water. Though the WA7 drives the T1 no problem, it sounds bright and harsh and a little bass-light at times to me, even with upgraded 6C45 gold pin tubes. No such issues with the HP8 - smoothness all the way! I plan to use the HP8 with stock tubes initially, but may get into some rolling later.

May 30, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #7,560 of 10,994
  Is there a consensus on maybe 2 or 3 of the best amps for the T1? I am using my Lyr and I love the sound but as we all know, There is always room for improvement.

Well, the A1 is right up there. It seems to have a reputation is being a bit lack-luster with other headphones, but it has absolutely amazing synergy with the T1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back