The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jun 27, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #11,042 of 23,533
I understand that the discussion in this thread is currently focused on the Nio but I have a question for people that have heard the U18t and A18s Demo and also the A18t and the A18s customs.

I currently have both demos at home for a shootout to decide which one I prefer. I've already figured out for me that the A18s demo with the M20 module is a bit too much bass for me. With the M15 module the sound is more reference but still has a bit more bass than the U18t with the M20 module.

My main question is how different are the customs from the demos? If the A18s has significantly more bass I fear that it will be too much for my taste even with the M15 module. On the other hand if the A18t has more bass than the demo then it might get where the A18s demo with the M15 module currently is.

Judging from the demos in the current configuration I'd probably take the A18s but if there is a big difference from demo to custom then I might swing in favour of ordering the A18t demos.

Jun 27, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #11,043 of 23,533
I understand that the discussion in this thread is currently focused on the Nio but I have a question for people that have heard the U18t and A18s Demo and also the A18t and the A18s customs.

I currently have both demos at home for a shootout to decide which one I prefer. I've already figured out for me that the A18s demo with the M20 module is a bit too much bass for me. With the M15 module the sound is more reference but still has a bit more bass than the U18t with the M20 module.

My main question is how different are the customs from the demos? If the A18s has significantly more bass I fear that it will be too much for my taste even with the M15 module. On the other hand if the A18t has more bass than the demo then it might get where the A18s demo with the M15 module currently is.

Judging from the demos in the current configuration I'd probably take the A18s but if there is a big difference from demo to custom then I might swing in favour of ordering the A18t demos.

Then go A18s if you prefer that. You can buy 2 modules with less bass response - Fir Audio -13 and the new 64 m10. The m10 looks like it rolls off a lot of bass so between all the module options you should be covered. For the 18t I noticed a slightly warmer sound with the custom so probably a little more bass but it's been a while

Jun 27, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #11,044 of 23,533
Looking at those graphs is hard to justify a NIO if I already have the LX. Was expecting a bit more highs. :frowning2:

Imho, the advantage of Nio over LX is having access to different apex and atom xl modules to adjust the bass response more naturally by means of switching between the modules instead of relying on EQ.

I do need to spend more time listening and taking notes between modules, relative to not only the bass but also mids/highs. FR graphs don't give you the full story. Currently, I'm sitting on over a dozen of review samples, arrived in the last few months, and I'm jumping from one to the other, answering questions and posting comments without being able to finish most of the reviews :D But, it is tempting.

Jun 27, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #11,045 of 23,533
Is the M10 module even available to purchase? It's not available on the website yet.

Has anyone ever used an abalone faceplate for a 64Audio custom? If the faceplate ends up looking like the Nio that would be very cool but if it looks like the preview then I'd rather have mother of pearl.

Jun 27, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #11,046 of 23,533
Imho, the advantage of Nio over LX is having access to different apex and atom xl modules to adjust the bass response more naturally by means of switching between the modules instead of relying on EQ.

I do need to spend more time listening and taking notes between modules, relative to not only the bass but also mids/highs. FR graphs don't give you the full story. Currently, I'm sitting on over a dozen of review samples, arrived in the last few months, and I'm jumping from one to the other, answering questions and posting comments without being able to finish most of the reviews :D But, it is tempting.
Faid enough, mate. And totally agree about the graphs, but without trying them, I'm just connecting dots from 64's own video, comments here and graphs, unfortunately that doesn't tell the whole story. I love 64a and the Apex tech, my A12t is the most comfortable (fatigue related) of everything I tried.

I would like to fit the NIO between the LX and A12t, I'm looking for some energy on the mid-high/highs area.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #11,047 of 23,533
Faid enough, mate. And totally agree about the graphs, but without trying them, I'm just connecting dots from 64's own video, comments here and graphs, unfortunately that does tell the whole story. I love 64a and the Apex tech, my A12t is the most comfortable (fatigue related) of everything I tried.

I would like to fit the NIO between the LX and A12t, I'm looking for some energy on the mid-high/highs area.

I have a custom A12t and Legend X. I am interested in Nio, because there are times when I want to use a universal. Tia Trio is the only universal I use and one with a different flavor would be good for variety. Angie II is never used anymore, so I will likely sell it.

Jun 27, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #11,048 of 23,533
Jun 27, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #11,049 of 23,533
For those asking for Solaris 2020 vs Nio... assuming Nio is similar to N8 Universal.
graph.png

Jun 27, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #11,051 of 23,533
Alright time for a little showdown with the Sony IER-Z1R and the new Nio, my personal number 1 sounding IEM I have heard so far. Guess the question is, will it be dethroned?

Some of the usual caveats as always... The nio is still brand new and has probably maybe 10-12 hours listened on it. I dont really think burn in is necessarily a real phenomenon outside of brain burn in, and even if it is real, I always just prefer to listen to my gear and take the journey with it. But for those of you who that may be an issue, keep in mind the limited listening time. The Z1R came to me secondhand and has had some decent use from me as well, so it should be well seasoned. I am also using azla sedna light tips on the Z1R (right now) and do a pretty shallow insertion with them. Feel thats worth mentioning since many who own the Z1R say they require a deep insertion to tame harsh treble, though I have never heard the treble as harsh. Nio is also using the m15 module as it will likely stay my preferred module (until maybe fir modules show up) and its probably a good match up for the z1r. I have also tried my best to volume match, but thats always easier said than done. All listening was through cayin n6ii e01.

Since I have mentioned fit in some of the other comparisons, I should just quickly say that theres no competition here for me. The Nio is about as perfect of a fit as I could hope for from a multi driver hybrid while the z1r is... well, its bad. Ive never been able to get a really comfortable fit with them.

Starting with the bass. Bass on the z1r is quite well known as being fantastic, and it certainly is. But, nio is actually a strong contender here. The nio is actually a bassier IEM than the z1r and definitely seems to have more quantity and overall bass emphasis. Its a bit punchier with more impact, but the z1r I would say likely has better subbass extension and has that real nice rumble. Definitely a bit less impactful, but a bit more of that physicality. The nio definitely has a more full sound though due to I think more of a mid bass emphasis and just more bass emphasis overall.

Up into the mids, the z1r is a bit thinner, vocals and instrumentals feel slightly more recessed compared to the NIO, which presents them as more rich and full. There is an excellent sense of space on both and I dont struggle on either to pick out individual instruments or sounds.

With treble, the Nio is smoother overall than the z1r. Theres definitely some extra oomph in the treble due to its interesting dynamic driver tweeter. Treble is a bit sharper on the z1r as its definitely a bit of a v shaped IEM while the nio to me comes off as flatter up through the mids and treble.

Talking strictly quality, its hard for me to really tell huge differences. I think bass would still go to the z1r, that bass just reaches deep, decays beautifully and really deserves the praise it gets. The nio though isnt far behind though as the bass is well rounded off, has that natural quality you get from a good DD, and is really quite pleasant, its just a bit emphasized comparatively (though can obviously be tuned with apex modules). It just doesn't extend quite as deep and can occasionally come off as maybe just a little much. With such a difference between the m15 and mx modules, it would be interesting if there was a middle option (incoming fir atom modules might be interesting), though it seems the more open of a module you end up, the more sub bass roll off you may end up with too. Moving up to mids and treble, its hard for me to tell, both are excellent. But for those slightly treble averse, the z1r can potentially run a little hot, which I dont think will be a problem on the nio.

For soundstage, both are excellent. The z1r is maybe a little more holographic than the nio, which definitely presents as wider more than strictly 3d. Again, both are excellent. I would be hard pressed to say one is better than the other. The one "issue" the nio has when it comes to soundstage and imaging is just that due to its big bass emphasis, theres just slightly less of a sense of space around and between instruments because the sound kind of "fills the room" more, so to speak. If that even makes sense. Its not a bad thing, I think its just a consequence of choosing bassier richer sounds.

I know its kind of silly to care too much about looks, since they just sit in our ears most of the time and we cant see them. But I never really thought the z1r was all that attractive, the nio on the otherhand I still think looks great.

So, the question is... which would I choose? The nio. If I was choosing on sound alone, I could honestly take either. I think they both excel is some areas, and I would be hard pressed to call either one better than the other, just different in how they present sound. And to my preferences, both are excellent. But with the tuning ability with the apex modules, I think the nio is more versatile. And for everything else, the nio wins for me. It looks better to me, and most importantly, it fits better and I can actually wear them without discomfort or pain.

Still definitely way into the honeymoon period with the nio, and as I already said, I can definitely see them becoming my daily drivers. If I didn't already have custom tips on order for the z1r, I might have considered it finally time to throw in the towel and sell them on. Guess I will revisit this for myself at that point when those custom tips arrive.

Jun 27, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #11,052 of 23,533
Alright time for a little showdown with the Sony IER-Z1R and the new Nio, my personal number 1 sounding IEM I have heard so far. Guess the question is, will it be dethroned?

Some of the usual caveats as always... The nio is still brand new and has probably maybe 10-12 hours listened on it. I dont really think burn in is necessarily a real phenomenon outside of brain burn in, and even if it is real, I always just prefer to listen to my gear and take the journey with it. But for those of you who that may be an issue, keep in mind the limited listening time. The Z1R came to me secondhand and has had some decent use from me as well, so it should be well seasoned. I am also using azla sedna light tips on the Z1R (right now) and do a pretty shallow insertion with them. Feel thats worth mentioning since many who own the Z1R say they require a deep insertion to tame harsh treble, though I have never heard the treble as harsh. Nio is also using the m15 module as it will likely stay my preferred module (until maybe fir modules show up) and its probably a good match up for the z1r. I have also tried my best to volume match, but thats always easier said than done. All listening was through cayin n6ii e01.

Since I have mentioned fit in some of the other comparisons, I should just quickly say that theres no competition here for me. The Nio is about as perfect of a fit as I could hope for from a multi driver hybrid while the z1r is... well, its bad. Ive never been able to get a really comfortable fit with them.

Starting with the bass. Bass on the z1r is quite well known as being fantastic, and it certainly is. But, nio is actually a strong contender here. The nio is actually a bassier IEM than the z1r and definitely seems to have more quantity and overall bass emphasis. Its a bit punchier with more impact, but the z1r I would say likely has better subbass extension and has that real nice rumble. Definitely a bit less impactful, but a bit more of that physicality. The nio definitely has a more full sound though due to I think more of a mid bass emphasis and just more bass emphasis overall.

Up into the mids, the z1r is a bit thinner, vocals and instrumentals feel slightly more recessed compared to the NIO, which presents them as more rich and full. There is an excellent sense of space on both and I dont struggle on either to pick out individual instruments or sounds.

With treble, the Nio is smoother overall than the z1r. Theres definitely some extra oomph in the treble due to its interesting dynamic driver tweeter. Treble is a bit sharper on the z1r as its definitely a bit of a v shaped IEM while the nio to me comes off as flatter up through the mids and treble.

Talking strictly quality, its hard for me to really tell huge differences. I think bass would still go to the z1r, that bass just reaches deep, decays beautifully and really deserves the praise it gets. The nio though isnt far behind though as the bass is well rounded off, has that natural quality you get from a good DD, and is really quite pleasant, its just a bit emphasized comparatively (though can obviously be tuned with apex modules). It just doesn't extend quite as deep and can occasionally come off as maybe just a little much. With such a difference between the m15 and mx modules, it would be interesting if there was a middle option (incoming fir atom modules might be interesting), though it seems the more open of a module you end up, the more sub bass roll off you may end up with too. Moving up to mids and treble, its hard for me to tell, both are excellent. But for those slightly treble averse, the z1r can potentially run a little hot, which I dont think will be a problem on the nio.

For soundstage, both are excellent. The z1r is maybe a little more holographic than the nio, which definitely presents as wider more than strictly 3d. Again, both are excellent. I would be hard pressed to say one is better than the other. The one "issue" the nio has when it comes to soundstage and imaging is just that due to its big bass emphasis, theres just slightly less of a sense of space around and between instruments because the sound kind of "fills the room" more, so to speak. If that even makes sense. Its not a bad thing, I think its just a consequence of choosing bassier richer sounds.

I know its kind of silly to care too much about looks, since they just sit in our ears most of the time and we cant see them. But I never really thought the z1r was all that attractive, the nio on the otherhand I still think looks great.

So, the question is... which would I choose? The nio. If I was choosing on sound alone, I could honestly take either. I think they both excel is some areas, and I would be hard pressed to call either one better than the other, just different in how they present sound. And to my preferences, both are excellent. But with the tuning ability with the apex modules, I think the nio is more versatile. And for everything else, the nio wins for me. It looks better to me, and most importantly, it fits better and I can actually wear them without discomfort or pain.

Still definitely way into the honeymoon period with the nio, and as I already said, I can definitely see them becoming my daily drivers. If I didn't already have custom tips on order for the z1r, I might have considered it finally time to throw in the towel and sell them on. Guess I will revisit this for myself at that point when those custom tips arrive.
Great contrast and comparisons. I agree with you though, these things put up a damn fight against the best. They hit a sweet spot for sure and I’m interested to see what else these little Nio’s dethrone as more people get some time with them. Theoretically and loosely speaking, the module system makes these essentially a Legend X with a touch less bass and a better sounding Solaris 2020 or SE with the MX module, all in one package. Ooooof things are about to get interesting.

Jun 27, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #11,053 of 23,533
a Legend X with a touch less bass and a better sounding Solaris SE with the MX module, all in one package.

Better how? (Bear in mind I prefer the SE to the Legend X overall).

Jun 27, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #11,054 of 23,533
Great contrast and comparisons. I agree with you though, these things put up a damn fight against the best. They hit a sweet spot for sure and I’m interested to see what else these little Nio’s dethrone as more people get some time with them. Theoretically and loosely speaking, the module system makes these essentially a Legend X with a touch less bass and a better sounding Solaris 2020 or SE with the MX module, all in one package. Ooooof things are about to get interesting.
Yea, of course it's all very personal, but I think these could definitely dethrone the z1r for me. As I said though I wouldn't call them better if we are strictly talking about sound. But I do think they are playing at the same general level. And just are a better overall package. Yea really smitten by these.

Better how? (Bear in mind I prefer the SE to the Legend X overall).
Can only speak for myself, but as with the z1r comparison I made i don't know if I would strictly say they are better, just again it plays to my personal preferences more, even with the mx module.

I saw you sold your z1r and are potentially interested in these, but based I'm not sure they would necessarily win out for you over the Solaris, and based on twisters graph they looked very similar to the LX, though maybe just a little less extreme. Unfortunately I just can't speak to the LX since I still have yet to get ears on a pair.

Jun 27, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #11,055 of 23,533
Yea, of course it's all very personal, but I think these could definitely dethrone the z1r for me. As I said though I wouldn't call them better if we are strictly talking about sound. But I do think they are playing at the same general level. And just are a better overall package. Yea really smitten by these.

Can only speak for myself, but as with the z1r comparison I made i don't know if I would strictly say they are better, just again it plays to my personal preferences more, even with the mx module.

I saw you sold your z1r and are potentially interested in these, but based I'm not sure they would necessarily win out for you over the Solaris, and based on twisters graph they looked very similar to the LX, though maybe just a little less extreme. Unfortunately I just can't speak to the LX since I still have yet to get ears on a pair.

Thank you for your thoughts-- in a sea of people losing it with excitement you consistently present a balanced voice of reason. I'm selling my LX not my Z1R (but I think you knew that)...from the moment I heard the Nio announced my sense was that they would be more a competitor with the LX than the Solaris. I hear a lot of people praising the Nio for its more robust low end, but one of the characteristic features of Solaris is that it's not a bass heavy signature, so those of us who enjoy it are happy with the bass, even if it is tame by many people's standards. I'm enjoying all these impressions and the Nio is indeed on my shortlist if I decide to move on another IEM as a "side piece" to my Solaris. I will be eager to see how things round out after people have had them around for a few weeks/months. That said, I've never really connected with a 64 Audio IEM yet and this one seems like it might be the best contender.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back