The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jun 26, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #11,011 of 23,560
Yea the test will really be the z1r as I just find it sounds so good and has a lot of qualities I really enjoy. I can already say though if I had to choose one for long term listening it would be the nio, if for no other reason than comfort. I had it in my ears most of the day today with no real issues. The z1r is uncomfortable almost immediately for me. We will see how that changes when my custom tips arrive in a couple weeks though.

I really am not trying to sound like I'm giving these too much praise or acting like a crazy fanboy, but sometimes you listen to new gear and just immediately know that it hits the sweet spot for you, and the nio has definitely done that for me. Hopefully the feeling continues as I keep listening to them after the initial honeymoon period wears off.
Thanks and I'm appreciative of the time you've invested in posting your impressions.

Jun 26, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #11,012 of 23,560
That’s a truly astounding feat to be able to swing the tuning of these that much. Wow.
apex is supa cool, convenient, and versatile.

it adds a lot of value to any adjustable 64a iem.

Jun 26, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #11,013 of 23,560
64audio-nio-x02.jpg

I have spoken.

... and to add to what I have spoken already :wink: and to support above post, here is a quick measurement of the effect of MX, M15, and M20 on the bass of Nio.

64audio-nio-FR2.png

Thanks for the graphs @twister6 ! I've been waiting to see some. I have a couple questions. Which coupler do you use to measure with, and is the roll-off an artifact of your soundcard/mic or is actually the IEM? I've seen that type of roll-off before on cheap mic inputs that are built into computers or cheap usb ones. You would have to calibrate the mic but using a 3.5mm cable from sound output to sound input (at least that is how to correct it using REW), or use an interface that measures linearly down to 20Hz or below.

Anyway, thanks for the measurements. The difference between M10 and M15 is crazy. Maybe the FiR M13 would be ideal for me :)

Jun 26, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #11,014 of 23,560
I am interested enough in Nio, that it will wipe out my dap fund. I am thinking I haven’t bought a new dap yet, because I love the sound of the two I already own.

The N8 always tempted me too, so I will have to see some reviews that compare it to Nio. The existing Headfonia review differed from everyone’s bass description, so I don’t trust it. The February model may not have the final tuning.

Jun 26, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #11,015 of 23,560
I am interested enough in Nio, that it will wipe out my dap fund. I am thinking I haven’t bought a new dap yet, because I love the sound of the two I already own.

The N8 always tempted me too, so I will have to see some reviews that compare it to Nio. The existing Headfonia review differed from everyone’s bass description, so I don’t trust it. The February model may not have the final tuning.
One of us, one of us 😅

Jun 26, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #11,016 of 23,560

Rest assured, you don’t have to be an expert to know these things aren’t bass light. It is immediately apparent that they’ll punch you in the face.

Jun 26, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #11,018 of 23,560
The existing Headfonia review differed from everyone’s bass description, so I don’t trust it. The February model may not have the final tuning.
I really hope you are right. That review had me disappointed thinking why would they go through all the trouble of adding a DD only to tune it bass light? I am liking what I am hearing in this thread today so now I have hope again.

Jun 26, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #11,019 of 23,560
Now I need to know how they compare to the U12T because these Nio’s honestly impressed me as my first 64 audio purchase. My interest is more than piqued.
I will do my best to oblige, as soon as I get my Nio’s

also for those interested, i believe the cable promo runs until June 30

Jun 26, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #11,020 of 23,560
I really hope you are right. That review had me disappointed thinking why would they go through all the trouble of adding a DD only to tune it bass light? I am liking what I am hearing in this thread today so now I have hope again.
You would think so, but I look at the Solaris and it's tuned very neutrally through the bass even though it apparently uses a similar driver to the atlas. I think there's likely more qualities to be had from DD bass than just having a lot of quantity.

But I can definitely assure you that the nio is not remotely what I would call bass light.

Jun 26, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #11,021 of 23,560
Gosh darn it, now I'm back on the Nio train. This sounds exactly like the sound signature I want. I should've waited until I read user reviews before jumping off the train. Oh well, I'll have to wait a little longer as I'll be further down the list, but it sounds like the wait will be worth it.

Jun 26, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #11,022 of 23,560
Gosh darn it, now I'm back on the Nio train. This sounds exactly like the sound signature I want. I should've waited until I read user reviews before jumping off the train. Oh well, I'll have to wait a little longer as I'll be further down the list, but it sounds like the wait will be worth it.

Same.. these sound like my sound preference
I loved my Solaris 2020 until I got my u12t now I'm just craving for more...

Probably have to sell the solaris

Jun 26, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #11,023 of 23,560
Thanks for the graphs @twister6 ! I've been waiting to see some. I have a couple questions. Which coupler do you use to measure with, and is the roll-off an artifact of your soundcard/mic or is actually the IEM? I've seen that type of roll-off before on cheap mic inputs that are built into computers or cheap usb ones. You would have to calibrate the mic but using a 3.5mm cable from sound output to sound input (at least that is how to correct it using REW), or use an interface that measures linearly down to 20Hz or below.

Anyway, thanks for the measurements. The difference between M10 and M15 is crazy. Maybe the FiR M13 would be ideal for me :)

Too bad I just sold my FiR modules, it would've been interesting to compare! A side by side comparison with the U12t will be made when I receive the Nio though :)

Jun 26, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #11,025 of 23,560
I actually just ordered a set of fir atom modules as I want to try them out and have more tweaking flexibility. Apparently they too are coming out with a -10db module, that will be coming up for sale this weekend. They were quite nice and upgraded the kit to the 4 module kit even though they havent officially put them up for sale yet. I will certainly give the -13db module a go whenever they come in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back