The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jun 26, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #10,966 of 23,603
Ahh, yes, very believable. I think also with the solid low it gives a lot of weight to the mids, including vocals. I'm listening now to the album "acoustic" by above & beyond which had a good mix of vocals, both male and female and yea timbre to me still sounds quite natural. I think there's enough microdetail as well, I can hear soft breaths as they show up in the recording and things like that. And definitely not harsh. Treble is present and detailed, but definitely pretty smooth, as their marketing material says. It's very pleasant to me.

In fairness though, I have heard very few iems that screw it up badly enough to no longer sound natural or believable.

Unfortunately though can't give you a comparison to the u12t as I have never heard it.
would you say you like it better than z1r, or solaris 2020

Jun 26, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #10,967 of 23,603
I
In my opinion comparing apples to apples... Solaris 2020 vs Nio with MX module, the Nio takes it. Bass would be still a tad weightier on the Nio, the mids are clear and emphasized and the treble is crisper and cleaner to me. They relaxed it too much on the 2020 In my opinion.

It should be expected to win in the mid range as it has 4BA drivers dedicated for that FR.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #10,968 of 23,603
There's a lot of weight behind the bass drums here that I personally like. Timbre is spot on I think. Nothing sounds weird to me. Not sure what you mean by purity though.

But depending on preferences there may be a little too much weight in the low end on a track like the one you linked. But her vocals are still nice and forward and don't get lost in the mix.

But... the mx module though really balances it out, it takes some of the weight and emphasis off the low end and allows the vocals to shine through as the focus. So while it may not be preferred for me, I think the versatility there is quite nice.

Gonna try not to sound like a crazy fanboy... But, so far, I kinda love how these sound. They fit extremely well for me, love the versatility with the apex modules, and they really do look great. I know it's too soon to make a determination, but I'm pretty sure these are gonna be a keeper when it's time (soon) to pare down the collection.

Not quite as impressed with the silver cable though. It's nice, but it still has memory wire (though it's not bothering me too much so far), I just struggle to justify the high cost of cables and I would almost certainly never buy one at their asking price. Though it's miles ahead of the stock cable in terms of look/feel/ergonomics. I'm not gonna talk about sound because well I'm not a big believer in cables altering sound beyond impedance mismatches, either that or I just don't pick up on them.

I'll probably stop back in after I get some work done with a comparison to the trio, and as I get time, the Solaris 2020 and z1r. Also usual caveats apply that these are not burned in, whether whoever reads this believes in burn in or not.

I think you are underestimating the silver cable, give it time of burn in at least 150 hours.

The price is pretty much right and lower if you compare to other cable brands.

It is a silver cable maybe its less warm and musical then stock spc I cant confirm that I have not heard them...

But I feel your disappointment of the cable are due to 2 factors here.

More silver then stock cable and not well burned in.

Jun 26, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #10,969 of 23,603
I

In my opinion comparing apples to apples... Solaris 2020 vs Nio with MX module, the Nio takes it. Bass would be still a tad weightier on the Nio, the mids are clear and emphasized and the treble is crisper and cleaner to me. They relaxed it too much on the 2020 In my opinion.

What would you say vs. the SE? Notwithstanding bass as I know your preference for bass is a little stronger than mine.

Jun 26, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #10,970 of 23,603
I

It should be expected to win in the mid range as it has 4BA drivers dedicated for that FR.
this is all encouraging feedback

Jun 26, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #10,972 of 23,603
What would you say vs. the SE? Notwithstanding bass as I know your preference for bass is a little stronger than mine.
for me I think Legend x which I sold had too much bass for me so I would like to know that as well. Bur with legend x the mids rescession where the main reason for me selling it more than it was the bass issue with me

I adore mids of solaris 2020, and Khan, nailing mids is top priority for me. the z1r has recessed mids but had better detail than the mids on tia trio so i sold the trio

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #10,973 of 23,603
for me I think Legend x which I sold had too much bass for me so I would like to know that as well
Nio doesn’t have that much bass. I assume it would be like 3-4 dB less from 20hz to 60hz than LX. The mids are a bit more forward or in your head than LX as well.

Not to mention I have a very high quality SPC cable for my LX that brought the mids and highs up a bit. So stock for stock the Nio has much stronger mid focus.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #10,975 of 23,603
Haven't had time for a direct comparison yet, but I definitely will try and get some comparisons on them both written up today, even if it's very preliminary stuff.

But speaking strictly to preferences I think it's going to top the Solaris for me. The Solaris is a really nice cohesive balanced sound, but it lacks some of the low end weight that I crave. The nio has it in spades, and actually comes out pretty nicely balanced with the mx module, without completely sacrificing the low end weight.

The z1r I am less sure about. It's been my favorite iem (sound wise) since I got it and nothing has been able to unseat it, mostly owing to the spectacular bass. But nio is definitely no slouch down low and the fit is infinitely better for me which makes a big difference overall.

for me I think Legend x which I sold had too much bass for me so I would like to know that as well
I still wish I had heard the LX before and I know twister threw a comparison out there yesterday comparing nio's bass to LX levels. Not sure how much that holds up though or whether bass should settle in with burn in as some might expect.

But I will say that at the very least the mx module really attenuates it down to a much more balanced level. Haven't done a ton of listening with it so not sure if it has other effects (like maybe attenuating sub bass too much too), but as I have mentioned earlier in the thread it's nice to have the option and I can honestly see that some would prefer it. Of course if isolation is important then it's a less via let option.

I think you are underestimating the silver cable, give it time of burn in at least 150 hours.

The price is pretty much right and lower if you compare to other cable brands.

It is a silver cable maybe its less warm and musical then stock spc I cant confirm that I have not heard them...

But I feel your disappointment of the cable are due to 2 factors here.

More silver then stock cable and not well burned in.
Just gonna throw it out there that I especially don't believe in cable burn in.

The cable is good and sounds great (though again not sure I would be able to hear any audible differences), just for me I think it's likely overpriced. Plastic 2 pin housing, plastic chin slider, still has memory wire... Cables for me are mostly about ergonomics, and while it's nice, having more solid housings would be nice and I would prefer molded earhooks.

Jun 26, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #10,977 of 23,603
Haven't had time for a direct comparison yet, but I definitely will try and get some comparisons on them both written up today, even if it's very preliminary stuff.

But speaking strictly to preferences I think it's going to top the Solaris for me. The Solaris is a really nice cohesive balanced sound, but it lacks some of the low end weight that I crave. The nio has it in spades, and actually comes out pretty nicely balanced with the mx module, without completely sacrificing the low end weight.

The z1r I am less sure about. It's been my favorite iem (sound wise) since I got it and nothing has been able to unseat it, mostly owing to the spectacular bass. But nio is definitely no slouch down low and the fit is infinitely better for me which makes a big difference overall.

I still wish I had heard the LX before and I know twister threw a comparison out there yesterday comparing nio's bass to LX levels. Not sure how much that holds up though or whether bass should settle in with burn in as some might expect.

But I will say that at the very least the mx module really attenuates it down to a much more balanced level. Haven't done a ton of listening with it so not sure if it has other effects (like maybe attenuating sub bass too much too), but as I have mentioned earlier in the thread it's nice to have the option and I can honestly see that some would prefer it. Of course if isolation is important then it's a less via let option.

The cable is good and sounds great (though again not sure I would be able to hear any audible differences), just for me I think it's likely overpriced. Plastic 2 pin housing, plastic chin slider, still has memory wire... Cables for me are mostly about ergonomics, and while it's nice, having more solid housings would be nice and I would prefer molded earhooks.

Well its personal of course. 500 squids is not given for sure. But I trust in 64a research and performance. I do believe this cable should bring better results. But if its better then stock cable that I will.say YES is it better then premium maybe not by huge margins....

But probably even less apparent from my noir stock cable which is 8 wires by the way and has mundorf solder too.

Go with what you feel you like but the new silver is a new edge of performance thats is for sure

Jun 26, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #10,978 of 23,603

I agree about the cable. It’s worth about $200 max. Charging $499 is ludicrous... but that’s the nature of this hobby.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #10,979 of 23,603
I agree about the cable. It’s worth about $200 max. Charging $499 is ludicrous... but that’s the nature of this hobby.

How do you know it cost max 200$ 🙃😅

Users who are viewing this thread

Back