The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jun 25, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #10,951 of 23,606
How bad is isolation with the mx module? I feel like I'll be using the m20 just because of that.. unless it's more bass than I can handle. Thanks for posting your thoughts
I'll try and pay attention to that more tomorrow, but I do most of my listening in relatively quiet environments so it may be hard for me to tell. But I would imagine that if you need lots of isolation, the mx may not be the best choice.

Jun 25, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #10,952 of 23,606
Maybe jumping the gun here, but any quick fire, initial impressions compared to the FiR M4 would be greatly appreciated as that’s what I’m more leaning towards atm.

Sorry, don't have M4, only M5. Erik contributed his review of M4 on Tw6, but I don't have access to it.

Jun 25, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #10,954 of 23,606
Sorry, don't have M4, only M5. Erik contributed his review of M4 on Tw6, but I don't have access to it.

Any impressions vs the M5 & U12t?

Jun 25, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #10,955 of 23,606
Those that have the Nio, what genres sound you’ve been listening to. I’m curious how instruments sound.
I listened to many types to get a feel for just what you mentioned. Drums in rock and other genres sound fantastic. Guitars sound weighty and detailed. I briefly listened to some orchestra and it was very life like sounding. If you want a good idea how they really perform all around listen to this ....

a higher quality stream or file would obviously sound better. Video link just for reference.

Jun 25, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #10,956 of 23,606
I'm not sharing (yet), but I still caring!

64audio-nio-x01.jpg

that memory wire got to go! will remove it later :D

Nice pentacon jack :upside_down: :hushed:

OK, I'm gonna post something I usually don't do, but here is a quick FR measurement after about 1hr of listening. Perfect L/R channel matching, and definitely not sub/mid-bass shy. What I'm hearing now is approaching LX level of bass impact. But gotta give it a few days to find out if bass going to settle in.

64audio-nio-FR.png

NOW waiitt what a surprise ! Now if you give me a choice between LX and Nio No questions I grab Nio + silver cable!

Jun 26, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #10,957 of 23,606
What genius decided it was a good idea to put memory wire on the promotion cable?

Jun 26, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #10,958 of 23,606
Ahhh the excitement of new gear...living vicariously through everyone's excitement and joy here...looking forward to more comparisons.

Jun 26, 2020 at 2:40 AM Post #10,959 of 23,606
I'll try and pay attention to that more tomorrow, but I do most of my listening in relatively quiet environments so it may be hard for me to tell. But I would imagine that if you need lots of isolation, the mx may not be the best choice.
Please give a listen with some acoustic female vocals, Norah Jones, Amber Rubarth, Brandi Carlile. Would love to know how it handles vocal purity and timbre. Below is one of my essential tracks for both vocals and real instruments (drum kicks, guitars). Thank you!

Jun 26, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #10,960 of 23,606
Love those tia tweeters of 64 Audio! Just tried a pure silver cable and the sound is still so very delicate, sweet and not harsh. I will say 64 Audio tia driver is the best of all drivers I’ve tried :) And so very easy and responsive to cable rolling. Now I know why so many folks here talking so much about cables:metal:

Jun 26, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #10,961 of 23,606
Love those tia tweeters of 64 Audio! Just tried a pure silver cable and the sound is still so very delicate, sweet and not harsh. I will say 64 Audio tia driver is the best of all drivers I’ve tried :) And so very easy and responsive to cable rolling. Now I know why so many folks here talking so much about cables:metal:

Multiply that effect by 5 with the Fourte iems range!

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #10,962 of 23,606
Please give a listen with some acoustic female vocals, Norah Jones, Amber Rubarth, Brandi Carlile. Would love to know how it handles vocal purity and timbre. Below is one of my essential tracks for both vocals and real instruments (drum kicks, guitars). Thank you!

There's a lot of weight behind the bass drums here that I personally like. Timbre is spot on I think. Nothing sounds weird to me. Not sure what you mean by purity though.

But depending on preferences there may be a little too much weight in the low end on a track like the one you linked. But her vocals are still nice and forward and don't get lost in the mix.

But... the mx module though really balances it out, it takes some of the weight and emphasis off the low end and allows the vocals to shine through as the focus. So while it may not be preferred for me, I think the versatility there is quite nice.

Gonna try not to sound like a crazy fanboy... But, so far, I kinda love how these sound. They fit extremely well for me, love the versatility with the apex modules, and they really do look great. I know it's too soon to make a determination, but I'm pretty sure these are gonna be a keeper when it's time (soon) to pare down the collection.

Not quite as impressed with the silver cable though. It's nice, but it still has memory wire (though it's not bothering me too much so far), I just struggle to justify the high cost of cables and I would almost certainly never buy one at their asking price. Though it's miles ahead of the stock cable in terms of look/feel/ergonomics. I'm not gonna talk about sound because well I'm not a big believer in cables altering sound beyond impedance mismatches, either that or I just don't pick up on them.

I'll probably stop back in after I get some work done with a comparison to the trio, and as I get time, the Solaris 2020 and z1r. Also usual caveats apply that these are not burned in, whether whoever reads this believes in burn in or not.

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #10,963 of 23,606
There's a lot of weight behind the bass drums here that I personally like. Timbre is spot on I think. Nothing sounds weird to me. Not sure what you mean by purity though.

But depending on preferences there may be a little too much weight in the low end on a track like the one you linked. But her vocals are still nice and forward and don't get lost in the mix.

But... the mx module though really balances it out, it takes some of the weight and emphasis off the low end and allows the vocals to shine through as the focus. So while it may not be preferred for me, I think the versatility there is quite nice.

Gonna try not to sound like a crazy fanboy... But, so far, I kinda love how these sound. They fit extremely well for me, love the versatility with the apex modules, and they really do look great. I know it's too soon to make a determination, but I'm pretty sure these are gonna be a keeper when it's time (soon) to pare down the collection.

Not quite as impressed with the silver cable though. It's nice, but it still has memory wire (though it's not bothering me too much so far), I just struggle to justify the high cost of cables and I would almost certainly never buy one at their asking price. Though it's miles ahead of the stock cable in terms of look/feel/ergonomics. I'm not gonna talk about sound because well I'm not a big believer in cables altering sound beyond impedance mismatches, either that or I just don't pick up on them.

I'll probably stop back in after I get some work done with a comparison to the trio, and as I get time, the Solaris 2020 and z1r. Also usual caveats apply that these are not burned in, whether whoever reads this believes in burn in or not.
Fantastic feedback, thank you!

Edit: by 'purity' I meant does her voice sound natural, with enough 'microdetail', not harsh or processed or 'recorded'. Believable is another word I'd use.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #10,965 of 23,606
Fantastic feedback, thank you!

Edit: by 'purity' I meant does her voice sound natural, with enough 'microdetail', not harsh or processed or 'recorded'. Believable is another word I'd use.
Ahh, yes, very believable. I think also with the solid low it gives a lot of weight to the mids, including vocals. I'm listening now to the album "acoustic" by above & beyond which had a good mix of vocals, both male and female and yea timbre to me still sounds quite natural. I think there's enough microdetail as well, I can hear soft breaths as they show up in the recording and things like that. And definitely not harsh. Treble is present and detailed, but definitely pretty smooth, as their marketing material says. It's very pleasant to me.

In fairness though, I have heard very few iems that screw it up badly enough to no longer sound natural or believable.

Unfortunately though can't give you a comparison to the u12t as I have never heard it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back