The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jun 25, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #10,921 of 23,552
And here we go...

IMG_20200625_161831.jpg

IMG_20200625_162110.jpg

Very initial impressions to follow soon. But based on first listen, just as @twister6 just posted, these are definitely not bass shy.

They are quite gorgeous in person.

Jun 25, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #10,922 of 23,552
And here we go...

IMG_20200625_161831.jpg

IMG_20200625_162110.jpg

Very initial impressions to follow soon. But based on first listen, just as @twister6 just posted, these are definitely not bass shy.

They are quite gorgeous in person.
wow, sorry if i keep asking member about mids, please share initial impression about mids, I think we by now know its has quite some bass, so my focus will be to know more bout mids and highs

Jun 25, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #10,924 of 23,552
OK, I'm gonna post something I usually don't do, but here is a quick FR measurement after about 1hr of listening. Perfect L/R channel matching, and definitely not sub/mid-bass shy. What I'm hearing now is approaching LX level of bass impact. But gotta give it a few days to find out if bass going to settle in.

Thanks man, exactly what I was hoping for

Jun 25, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #10,925 of 23,552
OK, I'm gonna post something I usually don't do, but here is a quick FR measurement after about 1hr of listening. Perfect L/R channel matching, and definitely not sub/mid-bass shy. What I'm hearing now is approaching LX level of bass impact. But gotta give it a few days to find out if bass going to settle in.

I have to say this is perplexing. I pulled the plug on my order because of that initial review that indicated anything BUT strong bass, which is exactly what I wanted from the Nio. You have to wonder if that review sample was faulty or preproduction. Even if the bass settles it's not going to go from 'nearly LX' to meek. Very frustrating to say the least.

Edit: would you mind posting a FR graph of your U12t so we can compare please?

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #10,926 of 23,552
wow, sorry if i keep asking member about mids, please share initial impression about mids, I think we by now know its has quite some bass, so my focus will be to know more bout mids and highs
I would be cautious about sharing any real impressions here since I have only had like 5 minutes of ear time. But very very first impressions of mids is that they have decent weight and are decently forward.

There is quite a bit of bass though, with the installed m15 module. Noticeably less so with the m10. Actually quite nice to be able to tune these with the apex modules.

I have to say this is perplexing. I pulled the plug on my order because of that initial review that indicated anything BUT strong bass, which is exactly what I wanted from the Nio. You have to wonder if that review sample was faulty or preproduction. Even if the bass settles it's not going to go from 'nearly LX' to meek. Very frustrating to say the least.
There's quite a bit of bass here (haven't even tried the m20 apex module yet). I wouldn't consider myself a basshead, but I do like my bass... And there's quite a bit.

Jun 25, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #10,927 of 23,552

64audio-nio-FR.png

Does seem to have that slight bass elevation - good to hear perfect channel balance

Jun 25, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #10,928 of 23,552

Edit: would you mind posting a FR graph of your U12t so we can compare please?

Here is what I'm thinking. I did hear "K9" in Feb at CanJam NYC, and it didn't have the same bass impact as I'm hearing right now with a final production unit. If Linus/Headfonia (@Ultrainferno ) mentioned that he received his unit back in Feb, very likely it was tuned just like the one I heard during CanJam show. And I don't recall anybody coming off CanJam saying that K9 had the level of LX bass. Perhaps, that is a reason for discrepancy. But again, I'm just speculating because I'm getting a ton of messages with everybody asking me if bass is rolled off or attenuated, and it is not. That was the reason why I posted FR measurements since I was being questioned about the bass. But now, along with other impressions, we have some consistency.

Jun 25, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #10,929 of 23,552
Here is what I'm thinking. I did hear "K9" in Feb at CanJam NYC, and it didn't have the same bass impact as I'm hearing right now with a final production unit. If Linus/Headfonia (@Ultrainferno ) mentioned that he received his unit back in Feb, very likely it was tuned just like the one I heard during CanJam show. And I don't recall anybody coming off CanJam saying that K9 had the level of LX bass. Perhaps, that is a reason for discrepancy. But again, I'm just speculating because I'm getting a ton of messages with everybody asking me if bass is rolled off or attenuated, and it is not. That was the reason why I posted FR measurements since I was being questioned about the bass. But now, along with other impressions, we have some consistency.
Again just speculating but if 64 Audio allowed a review to be published with a unit they knew was tuned differently to final production, that would be extremely disappointing (to put it nicely). Thanks for your quick feedback, and no judgements made on early measurements, knowing DDs need some time to settle.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #10,930 of 23,552
Yes that’s why I previously mentioned from my experience and doing an A/B.. the Nio sounded to have a touch less bass than LX but not by too much and the mids were ever so more forward. Treble I can’t tell because they both do treble so well. Plus the modules can pull out some of that bass which then flattens it out a bit. I like them, pretty impressed.

I don’t know how they measure against Solaris SE or 2020 but I think I like the Nio over both.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #10,931 of 23,552
Yes that’s why I previously mentioned from my experience and doing an A/B.. the Nio sounded to have a touch less bass than LX but not by too much and the mids were ever so more forward. Treble I can’t tell because they both do treble so well. Plus the modules can pull out some of that bass which then flattens it out a bit. I like them, pretty impressed.
Never heard the LX, but I'm thinking these feel like a good upgrade to my atlas... Bass isn't quite as big, but close.

And yes, the mx modules actually attenuate the bass nicely and give a nicely balanced, though still somewhat bass focused signature, but I think for those who maybe aren't as excited for huge bass, that could be a good option.

Really enjoying my very initial listen here. Of course, whether you believe in burn in or not, these are very very early impressions.

Jun 25, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #10,933 of 23,552
Information coming fast and furious. Will be interesting to see where the impressions land after longer term listening.
That it is. I will say trust whatever twister puts out because he really knows the game and what he’s talking about. I’m just offering my limited experience opinion of what I hear as a noob.

Jun 25, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #10,934 of 23,552
Does the new case have a 'divider' that keeps the earpieces from bumping into each other and potentially chipping the paint? I'd be worried about that if not. One of the great features of the old case, uninspiring as it is, is keeping the earpieces well apart and protecting them against any impact while in storage.
I ordered that case for these. I don’t want to hurt the appearance of these and I don’t trust the round case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back