The "non-Grado" Driver Grado Thread
Mar 8, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #496 of 754
Nothing special, just drill press and hole saws. The pad holder portion I just cust with a jigsaw then round off better with sandpaper. Then glued the driver cup ring into the pad holder. These are very slap together cups. Only thing nice to me about Them is the cocobolo outter my father in law made. I'm hoping I get the Chuck for my lathe soon So I can try to just make a nice One piece version out of walnut or such.

Mar 17, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #497 of 754
Hi guys.  Sorry for the noob question, but I would just like some advice.  I have just received, after long wait, my vibro mahogony cups for a SennGrado build I'm doing for my twin brother's now belated birthday present!  I am yet to liberate the PX100 drivers but in the picture below, I'm showing that they go right down into the cups yet the tape that came supplied with the cups (also pictured) seems too thick to do the job of padding out the sides of the cups.  Should I be taping the inside of the cups then shaving that tape down or the lip of the drivers?  Or, should I have them set back like that with glue?!  I'm guessing they would sound better flush with the lip of the cups?  I'v also included my custom engraved headband in the picture!  Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!  I'm quite an inexperienced DIYer!

Mar 18, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #498 of 754
Hi guys.  Sorry for the noob question, but I would just like some advice.  I have just received, after long wait, my vibro mahogony cups for a SennGrado build I'm doing for my twin brother's now belated birthday present!  I am yet to liberate the PX100 drivers but in the picture below, I'm showing that they go right down into the cups yet the tape that came supplied with the cups (also pictured) seems too thick to do the job of padding out the sides of the cups.  Should I be taping the inside of the cups then shaving that tape down or the lip of the drivers?  Or, should I have them set back like that with glue?!  I'm guessing they would sound better flush with the lip of the cups?  I'v also included my custom engraved headband in the picture!  Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!  I'm quite an inexperienced DIYer!

That headband is badass

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #500 of 754

That headband is badass

I agree. I need to find one like that.

Thanks guys.  This is a custom hand painted one from here - http://www.plussoundaudio.com/accessories/general.html

I finished them up yesterday.  Here's a link to the process, if anyone is interested - https://plus.google.com/photos/105762527581884904850/albums/6127656741564124577?authkey=CKHmr9TCzYW4Vg

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #501 of 754

That headband is badass

Thanks guys.  This is a custom hand painted one from here - http://www.plussoundaudio.com/accessories/general.html

I finished them up yesterday.  Here's a link to the process, if anyone is interested - https://plus.google.com/photos/105762527581884904850/albums/6127656741564124577?authkey=CKHmr9TCzYW4Vg

Nice, how do you like your Senngrado?

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #502 of 754

That headband is badass

Nice, how do you like your Senngrado?

I am very impressed with them.  The only downside is that they are not mine, I made them for my brother so have to give them away now!!

Mar 21, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #503 of 754

Beautiful headband!

Keep the drivers relatively flush with the bottom of the cups. If you choose to have them recessed then don't place them too deep as this usually affects the sound in a bad way. Consider using something to seal that huge slit for the cabling, as it'll be way too long for such slender drivers. The Senn's driver has approx. 1mm wider diameter than the Grado drivers, so it might be too tight if you try to tape the entire circumference of he driver.Try a little hot glue or place the tape at strategic points inside the cups. Three smaller portions of tape should do it. DON'T shave down the driver housing/cover! Seeing as they're really thin, it'll affect their integrity in a bad way thus possibly also the sound. If you can, make sure that the end towards the listener are most possibly closed.

Mar 26, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #504 of 754
Just ordered a pair of the px100 drivers and will be putting them into some RS1i lookalike 3D printed cups with a down sized inner diameter to fit the px100 drivers

Mar 26, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #506 of 754
  How about putting up some pics of those cups?

Sure i'll do that once I finished it :)  only printed one test cup so far to check the fitting for 40mm drivers and it was perfect so i'm gonna print two new in higher resolution probably tomorrow :)

Mar 31, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #507 of 754
  How about putting up some pics of those cups?

They are not finished just yet..  I havn't decided to either sanding the cups some more to get a matte finish or to acetone vapor bath it for a glossy finish. 

Mar 31, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #509 of 754
Think i'm gonna print out something similar to the grado original cup mount, I mean  the plastic circular thing connected to the rod on the originals.   
and cut the rods on my current mount all the way up the where its strait and fit that the plastic mount

Apr 6, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #510 of 754
So a while back I purchased Senngrados from head-fi member 'soundsgoodtome' and I was not impressed by the sound. Had them up for sale and a few days ago I started messing around with them out of boredom. After the results I got, no way in hell I'm selling these now. Turns all all my gripes were due to the pads. I made adapters for Beyer pads and wow, what a difference. Took it a step further and made aluminum gimbals out of some scrap I had in the garage. No machining, just basic hand tools. Very happy with the results. The hype really did deliver with the Senngrados with the Beyers on.

The adapters are made in a way that to my knowledge has not been done before. I used a large piece of thick plastic from a binder reinforcement to make the piece the pads latch on to, two slightly small leather coasters I had around and the Earzonk L-cush pads. Everything is glued together with a flexible glue. I don't remember the specific brand or style but it was really cheap and it's the kind that smells like **** and gums up as it's drying. The earzonks are glued on in such a way that they slide backwards on the cups. The pics should explain the rest. I was going to glue the plastic/leather contraption to the cups but I didn't want to ruin what 7keys made. Turns out this works surprisingly well with no permanent mods to the cups! Since taking the pictures I made a few adjustments to the aluminum gimbals but nothing major. Just fine tuning at this point. I will probably make a 2nd set of the adapters in order to use with the Turbulent drivers and cups I ordered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back