The "non-Grado" Driver Grado Thread
Aug 5, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #526 of 754
  I have a pair of sr325 cups laying around, and px100iis on the way, could i make a pair of senngrados with that or would that not sound very good? Dont have the right tools to make wood cups atm, looking for some hole saws, i was thinking 4 would be enough?...46,50,64,76mm?

I'd trade a wood cup for an aluminium cup, I'd like to hear what they sound like.

Aug 5, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #527 of 754
I just got new drivers in today. They are Audio Technica ATH-T200.

I just need some weatherstripping or something to hold them in place. What else can I use to hold them in a wooden cup?  

Aug 5, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #528 of 754
  I have a pair of sr325 cups laying around, and px100iis on the way, could i make a pair of senngrados with that or would that not sound very good? Dont have the right tools to make wood cups atm, looking for some hole saws, i was thinking 4 would be enough?...46,50,64,76mm?

If you have SR325 cups and plastic sleeves, just try px100 II with them, I'm pretty sure you won't be dissapointed with sound quality. Wood is just a little bit better.
If you don't have plastic sleeves, PM me, I'll send you a pair for free :)

I just got new drivers in today. They are Audio Technica ATH-T200.

I just need some weatherstripping or something to hold them in place. What else can I use to hold them in a wooden cup?  

You can look for PVC pipe, for example 1 1/2 in schedule 40 , and use dremel to fit it into wooden cup. Your drivers are 40mm, or less?
If I am correct, for 1 1/2 pipe outside diameter is about 48mm, inside diameter about 40mm. So it should be fine after slight alterations. And you can make like a billion adapters out of one pipe :D

Aug 8, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #529 of 754
@michauczok
 Thank you for recommending the 1-1/2 inch pipe. A bit of sanding and it's in.

Used a little strip of electrical tape wrapped around the driver to hold it in place. I can always pop out the driver if needed. 

Aug 10, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #531 of 754
They sound great. I like them more than the JVC drivers. Weakness... I would say the treble is a bit low, they don't have that Grado sparkle. I need to turn the volume up compared to my SennGrados.
I recommend trying them out. I wish I could give a detailed review on their sound signature, but I'm bit a noob describing those type of things.

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #532 of 754
Now I'm conflicted on whether I like them or not...

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #534 of 754
I was listening to them through a cmoy with bass boost, now I'm listening to them unamped and comparing them to the SennGrados. I prefer the Sennheiser drivers over the Audio Technica drivers. All I hear is midrange with little bass and treble.
I have gotten used to them using the cmoy, but now I'm comparing them to my SR225e and SennGrados. The Audio Technica are at the bottom.

Aug 23, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #535 of 754
Just finished my SennGrados (px100 II drivers in sr325 cups with Van Damme starquad cable). Its my first time using a soldering iron and doing anything DIY so really happy with it! Sounds fantastic too, cant stop listening to them! I wonder if they sound better to me because i made them haha.  I stretched over some Grado plastic sleeves that the Grado drivers normally sit in over the px100 drivers (Thanks for the sleeves michauczok!) and they juuust fit inside the sr325 cups....Next project will be to liberate the drivers and sit them in some wood cups as soon as i get some hole saws.

Aug 23, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #536 of 754
  Just finished my SennGrados (px100 II drivers in sr325 cups with Van Damme starquad cable). Its my first time using a soldering iron and doing anything DIY so really happy with it! Sounds fantastic too, cant stop listening to them! I wonder if they sound better to me because i made them haha.  I stretched over some Grado plastic sleeves that the Grado drivers normally sit in over the px100 drivers (Thanks for the sleeves michauczok!) and they juuust fit inside the sr325 cups....Next project will be to liberate the drivers and sit them in some wood cups as soon as i get some hole saws.

Lookin' good! Great job using the stock sleeves inside the metals!

Aug 24, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #537 of 754

Very Nice!

Sep 3, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #538 of 754

I started diying a senngrado.

Using px100ii drivers.

I used a desoldering pump in order to remove the stock wires.

Problem!

The pump sucked the super thin layer of metal on the solder point...

And one dead driver for esteboune!

Morever I tested the other driver.
Using the multimeter I got a continuity on the - and + solder point...

I don't understand!

Anyway, need to buy a pair of px100ii!

One question: what should be a good iron temperature for this task.
Mine is 60w and can go up to 415'c.

Hopefully, I will be able to post my senngrado here sooner or later!

Sep 3, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #539 of 754
I might have a solution!

I've a pair of old hd449.

I do not use them because I've better headphones and mainly because the pad are dead.

Here is a picture of the driver.

Will it be compatible with a grado set up?

Thanks in advance for your kind help

Sep 3, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #540 of 754
I started diying a senngrado.

Using px100ii drivers.

I used a desoldering pump in order to remove the stock wires.

Problem!

The pump sucked the super thin layer of metal on the solder point...

And one dead driver for esteboune!

Morever I tested the other driver.
Using the multimeter I got a continuity on the - and + solder point...

I don't understand!

Anyway, need to buy a pair of px100ii!

One question: what should be a good iron temperature for this task.
Mine is 60w and can go up to 415'c.

Hopefully, I will be able to post my senngrado here sooner or later!

PX100 II driver is just 32 ohm, so multimeter "beeps" as it does with closed circuit, it's normal.

As for the damaged driver - normally there is a really thin wire, i mean thinner than your hair, attached to solder pad. It's a wire from driver's coil. You can attach this wire to some other solder pad, therefore making the driver alive. It's hard, but doable.

One of my new senngrado's, made of padauk, inspired by RS1's, stock SR325i headband and hardware:

BTW, is there some thread for custom grado's, 'cause I've made a ton of them, and I'd like to share :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back