The "non-Grado" Driver Grado Thread
Apr 7, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #513 of 754
  So a while back I purchased Senngrados from head-fi member 'soundsgoodtome' and I was not impressed by the sound. Had them up for sale and a few days ago I started messing around with them out of boredom. After the results I got, no way in hell I'm selling these now. Turns all all my gripes were due to the pads. I made adapters for Beyer pads and wow, what a difference. Took it a step further and made aluminum gimbals out of some scrap I had in the garage. No machining, just basic hand tools. Very happy with the results. The hype really did deliver with the Senngrados with the Beyers on.

The adapters are made in a way that to my knowledge has not been done before. I used a large piece of thick plastic from a binder reinforcement to make the piece the pads latch on to, two slightly small leather coasters I had around and the Earzonk L-cush pads. Everything is glued together with a flexible glue. I don't remember the specific brand or style but it was really cheap and it's the kind that smells like **** and gums up as it's drying. The earzonks are glued on in such a way that they slide backwards on the cups. The pics should explain the rest. I was going to glue the plastic/leather contraption to the cups but I didn't want to ruin what 7keys made. Turns out this works surprisingly well with no permanent mods to the cups! Since taking the pictures I made a few adjustments to the aluminum gimbals but nothing major. Just fine tuning at this point. I will probably make a 2nd set of the adapters in order to use with the Turbulent drivers and cups I ordered.

Also, if anyone has a spare factory Grado headband with gimbals I am willing to buy it. I really need one for the Turbulent X build!

Nice work

Apr 11, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #514 of 754
Looks doope! i've been considering the beyer mod as well. Anyone knows how a setup like this sounds when compared to the G-cush pads, using the px100ii drivers? I love the sound with the G-cush but if i can get it with the comfort of beyer pads that would be even better! thinking about getting a set like this. https://www.etsy.com/listing/228729685/walnut-full-length-cups-for-grado?ref=shop_home_active_2

Apr 11, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #515 of 754
Just finished my SennGrado, many thanks to all that have posted here, I love these headphones.
The cups were vibro that I found on ebay, headband from walmart, drivers PX-100ii used from amazon, L-cush spares that I had on hand, and made the cables myself.

Changes made to adjust sound to my liking:
drivers are set back about 1/8" from lip, 3/8" strip of dynamat was placed around cup where normal grado drivers would sit to anchor px-100ii driver (this really helped the bass to go deep and not get muddy).
Sound: bass goes deep and tight like a planner (like my HE-400), mids are smooth and mellow like my HD-650,  and the highs are like my RS2e.

Liked the sound so much ordered 2 more px-100ii drivers, 2 sony MDR-7506 headbands, pair of cups from YewWoodworks, pair of rosewood cups from turbulent labs.  After I finish these two one will be for my son and the other to be passed around to my friends so they can enjoy it for a while and maybe understand why I spend too much time doing this crazy hobby.

Apr 12, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #516 of 754
  Looks doope! i've been considering the beyer mod as well. Anyone knows how a setup like this sounds when compared to the G-cush pads, using the px100ii drivers? I love the sound with the G-cush but if i can get it with the comfort of beyer pads that would be even better! thinking about getting a set like this. https://www.etsy.com/listing/228729685/walnut-full-length-cups-for-grado?ref=shop_home_active_2

You get more comfort, soundstage, and better bass. The cups from etsy.com were my design in Bubinga = African rosewood.

icm_fullxfull.54134361_ik4icl136kg084ocwosk.jpg

~D

Jul 16, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #517 of 754
Can anyone shed some light here?.....by looks, the PX80 and PX100 are same. wondering they have the same drivers too inside, like everything else?

Jul 16, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #518 of 754
  Can anyone shed some light here?.....by looks, the PX80 and PX100 are same. wondering they have the same drivers too inside, like everything else?

You could give them a try.  I don't think anyone has found another pair of Sennheiser headphones that share the same drivers as the Px100ii. 

In the Senngrado thread Fleasbaby tested his PX95 drivers against the PX100ii drivers and says they are not the same....The PX100ii drivers sound better. 

Jul 16, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #519 of 754
  You could give them a try.  I don't think anyone has found another pair of Sennheiser headphones that share the same drivers as the Px100ii. 

In the Senngrado thread Fleasbaby tested his PX95 drivers against the PX100ii drivers and says they are not the same....The PX100ii drivers sound better. 

yeah PX100 ii drivers are the best candidate and TY for the reply, but I just wanted to know the actual diff between those 2....thought someone who ran autopsy on both wld confirm.

Jul 22, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #521 of 754
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gimbal-for-Grado-Alessand-wbr-ro-/151753238181?&_trksid=p2056016.m2518.l4276

Found this metal gimbal for Grados on Ebay,  thought someone might like them :)

Aug 5, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #524 of 754
I have a pair of sr325 cups laying around, and px100iis on the way, could i make a pair of senngrados with that or would that not sound very good? Dont have the right tools to make wood cups atm, looking for some hole saws, i was thinking 4 would be enough?...46,50,64,76mm?

Aug 5, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #525 of 754
  I have a pair of sr325 cups laying around, and px100iis on the way, could i make a pair of senngrados with that or would that not sound very good? Dont have the right tools to make wood cups atm, looking for some hole saws, i was thinking 4 would be enough?...46,50,64,76mm?

You could probably make a nice build with some wooden sleeves. Since you're o'er t' pond, I would advise dropping @uglyjoe0124 He might be able to help. I made some sleeves using hole saws, but its tricky...far easier on a lathe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back