The "non-Grado" Driver Grado Thread
Mar 3, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #481 of 754

I have some disks I made for the PX100 driver. They fit a Grado cup. The hole in the middle is 1.3/8. 
I have a few extra.

Theyre 1 5/8ths, 40mm driver grados are 45mm. But what I'm now doing(don't have grado pads anymore but still have everything else) making cups like people have for Beyer pads. Just cheap "adapter" cups out of poplar. Well see what happens  

Mar 6, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #482 of 754

Hopefully tomorrow get these sanded and wired. I know I know....they look terrible and not very symmetrical. Unfortunately my lathe parts havnt been found by the previous owner, so I made these craptastic things from spare wood and a drill press and jigsaw. They ain't supposed to be pretty, just functional enough to slap a pair of shure 840 drivers in, and top that hideous base off with a pair of pretty cocobolo tops.

Mar 6, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #483 of 754

Hopefully tomorrow get these sanded and wired. I know I know....they look terrible and not very symmetrical. Unfortunately my lathe parts havnt been found by the previous owner, so I made these craptastic things from spare wood and a drill press and jigsaw. They ain't supposed to be pretty, just functional enough to slap a pair of shure 840 drivers in, and top that hideous base off with a pair of pretty cocobolo tops.

Those don't look bad at all!

Mar 6, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #484 of 754
I just hope the drivers workout

Mar 6, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #485 of 754

Hopefully tomorrow get these sanded and wired. I know I know....they look terrible and not very symmetrical. Unfortunately my lathe parts havnt been found by the previous owner, so I made these craptastic things from spare wood and a drill press and jigsaw. They ain't supposed to be pretty, just functional enough to slap a pair of shure 840 drivers in, and top that hideous base off with a pair of pretty cocobolo tops

They look nice.

Mar 6, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #486 of 754
They look good and i love the Beyer pads.  
tongue.gif

Mar 6, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #487 of 754
They look good and i love the Beyer pads.  :p  

Well since I don't have Beyer pads I'll be using one of 4 pads. Shure leathers, shure 1540, hifiman velour or alpha pads. But I do plan on buying dt990, or 880 I can't remember, pads for my he4. Just have to hold off since they're 40 bucks! Bad part about this whole thing is, if these sound fantastic, it's not a viable option for people to source these drivers. I just happened to have done some other crap to my 840s as I don't use them much, and decided to pull the drivers. Not sure how much we could get 440/840 drivers for by themselves. I'll go ahead and assume these aren't going to sound right. But if they don't I'll just make a different cup and make them in to closed cans again with a better Damn headband.

Mar 6, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #488 of 754

Mar 7, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #490 of 754
Nice! How do they sound?

so i was pad rolling, 1540-nope-mid bass heavy, alphas-just a mess, then come in these stiff hifiman velours. Color me impressed, they sound quite a bit different than they did in the shure closed shells. Ill holdoff on real impressions, but so far so good. My real issue is comfort with this setup, trying to figure out a way to get these to fit correct on my noggin. I really wish i had a pair of grados still, because these remind me of what i can remember. They are fun and lively, forward, nice lower mids, guitar has a nice crunch, somewhat bright, not a ton of bass but enough to make me happy-just like grado/magnums. Itll take me a few days and this could just be me being excited that they dont sound atrocious!

Mar 7, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #492 of 754
I did that last night already. They aren't bad just feels unnatural. So I'll order some lcush at some point. Or the Beyer pads since I've always been interest. But for now I'll enjoy the polar opposite of my he4/t50. Planars are just magical but it's nice to hear a forward dynamic can again!

Mar 7, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #493 of 754
IMHO those look great.  Listening to my SennGrado / G-cush build as I type.  Love the sound straight out of the iPhone / macbook Pro

Mar 8, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #494 of 754
I did that last night already. They aren't bad just feels unnatural. So I'll order some lcush at some point. Or the Beyer pads since I've always been interest. But for now I'll enjoy the polar opposite of my he4/t50. Planars are just magical but it's nice to hear a forward dynamic can again!

007 this is the best (cheapest) price for Beyer pads but it will be 3 to 4 weeks after you place your order before they show up at your door. 
blink.gif

They do not keep them in stock they order them from Beyer when someone places a order for them, so the 3 to 4 weeks. 
eek.gif

http://www.markertek.com/product/byd-edt770vb/beyerdynamic-edt-770-vb-replacement-ear-cushions-pair

~D

Mar 8, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #495 of 754
  Theyre 1 5/8ths, 40mm driver grados are 45mm. But what I'm now doing(don't have grado pads anymore but still have everything else) making cups like people have for Beyer pads. Just cheap "adapter" cups out of poplar. Well see what happens  

I tried to make some wooden rings and failed miserably, how did you make those?

My SennGrado project: http://www.head-fi.org/t/738035/senngrado-appreciation-thread/195#post_11391377

Users who are viewing this thread

Back