The new Sansui SS-100 Thread
Jun 25, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #76 of 246
Quote:
Is the sound of these comparable to any modern headphone? I'm wondering if these are actually worth the high prices they go for, purely looking at sound...

I'd say they're actually a bit of a bargain at the prices they fetch these days.

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #79 of 246
Wow, I had no clue the SS-100 had a sound to match its looks.

One day I hope to own this marvelous headphone. This thread is great, thanks to all for posting!

Apr 20, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #80 of 246
Alright. I want pure honesty.

I have the chance to acquire a like-new SS-100, with the original box, for $5-600. I currently do not have any sort of dedicated amplifier. Is the Sansui sound worth the hefty price tag? How does the SS-100 compare to headphones like the HD600 and the HE-500? 

Two of my headphones get a lot of ear-time currently: the incredibly revealing Sony DR-Z5 and the euphonic and impactful KOSS Pro/4AAA. The first is cold and analytical, and the second is warm and very expansive. Basically polar opposites. I prefer the 4AAA most of the time. 

Can someone who has or has heard the SS-100 describe its sound for me? What I have so far is slightly warm, treble peaks, wide soundstage, and high amount of detail and control. That's still fairly vague though; no comparisons to other cans.

Thanks.

Jun 11, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #81 of 246
Quote:

I have the chance to acquire a like-new SS-100, with the original box, for $5-600. I currently do not have any sort of dedicated amplifier. Is the Sansui sound worth the hefty price tag? How does the SS-100 compare to headphones like the HD600 and the HE-500? 

Two of my headphones get a lot of ear-time currently: the incredibly revealing Sony DR-Z5 and the euphonic and impactful KOSS Pro/4AAA. The first is cold and analytical, and the second is warm and very expansive. Basically polar opposites. I prefer the 4AAA most of the time. 

Can someone who has or has heard the SS-100 describe its sound for me? What I have so far is slightly warm, treble peaks, wide soundstage, and high amount of detail and control. That's still fairly vague though; no comparisons to other cans.

Thanks.

Sorry for a late reply! I don't have any experience with either the HD600 or the he-500, however, I prefer the tonal qualities of the SS-100 over the HD650.  I used to own the Beyer DT880 and although I never had the chance to side by side the ss100 and the DT880, from what I recall I prefer the SS100.  Unlike many vintage phones, the SS-100 can stand up next to many of today's modern phones.  I've owned a few older pioneer models from the 70's and various other vintage phones and compared to the ss-100 they are no where near as nice of a headphone that the ss-100 is.   I also own a pair of Yamaha YHd-2 orthodynamic phones.  The SS-100 KILLS the yhd-2.  The SS-100 has much more clarity than the Yhd-2 which sounds muddy when compared to the SS-100.  The one caveat, however, is that the SS-100 needs gobs and gobs of power.  It sounds great hooked to my Phonitor or my Sansui AU-717 int. amp. but when used with my fiio E17 or CD player headphone jack it just sounds so-so.  If you still have a chance to pick up the SS-100 I would say go for it, especially if it has the original box. Heck, If you don't want it I'll buy it from you so I can have one with a box!

Jun 12, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #83 of 246
Quote:
It's been so long since I've seen the name Sansui that I thought they had gone out of business. I had a receiver made by them in the late 70s.

Well the Sansui of today is nothing like the Sansui of the 70s.  Sansui was bought and sold a few times by big firms and their name was dragged through the dirt.  They now have their name on tvs, however, Sansui audio is available in the UK. Its not like the old stuff but has gained some good reviews.  I love all of my old Sansui equipment from the 70s.  Built like a tank and sounds great!

Jun 18, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #86 of 246
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks.

Sorry for a late reply! I don't have any experience with either the HD600 or the he-500, however, I prefer the tonal qualities of the SS-100 over the HD650.  I used to own the Beyer DT880 and although I never had the chance to side by side the ss100 and the DT880, from what I recall I prefer the SS100.  Unlike many vintage phones, the SS-100 can stand up next to many of today's modern phones.  I've owned a few older pioneer models from the 70's and various other vintage phones and compared to the ss-100 they are no where near as nice of a headphone that the ss-100 is.   I also own a pair of Yamaha YHd-2 orthodynamic phones.  The SS-100 KILLS the yhd-2.  The SS-100 has much more clarity than the Yhd-2 which sounds muddy when compared to the SS-100.  The one caveat, however, is that the SS-100 needs gobs and gobs of power.  It sounds great hooked to my Phonitor or my Sansui AU-717 int. amp. but when used with my fiio E17 or CD player headphone jack it just sounds so-so.  If you still have a chance to pick up the SS-100 I would say go for it, especially if it has the original box. Heck, If you don't want it I'll buy it from you so I can have one with a box!

The reply is greatly appreciated. The more people I can get to vouch for it the better.

About the amping issue, I'm expecting that my Schiit Asgard should be able to handle the SS-100 judging by how it does with my Pioneer SE-700 and SE-500. They're not orthodynamic but they are planar transducers which means they also require a high amount of current to get a good excursion distance (and thus, better sound).

I'm waiting for the seller to get the SS-100 back, he lent it to a friend, and once he has it I'll buy it. Thanks for the advice.

Jul 9, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #87 of 246
Hi. I'm new here but i just bought a pair of ss-100 in a second hand store here in Sweden for 75 Swedish kr. I think it's about 8 euros. It's the best looking headphones i ever seen and they sound amazing! I have never been able to push the base and volume like this. My other headphones just sounds **** at the volume and base i want.
I like it loud.
But i have to push up the volume quite a bit more than regular on my receiver. I have a JVC JR-S200 stereo receiver with a pioneer SG-540 equalizer. So i have to be careful if i switch headphones or enable my speakers so i don't get a heart attack. But i dont like the sound they make when i connect them to my phone. I can't get any volume out of them, so they will be my precious home headphones.

Now when i know what i bought I'm quite pleased :)
The headphones was in good shape except that they were very dirty. So i cleaned them.

Sorry if i use wrong grammar or don't spell correctly, I'm Swedish :)
It was really fun reading this forum and getting to know my new headphones a little more.

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #89 of 246
Hi. I'm new here but i just bought a pair of ss-100 in a second hand store here in Sweden for 75 Swedish kr. I think it's about 8 euros. It's the best looking headphones i ever seen and they sound amazing! I have never been able to push the base and volume like this. My other headphones just sounds **** at the volume and base i want.
I like it loud.
But i have to push up the volume quite a bit more than regular on my receiver. I have a JVC JR-S200 stereo receiver with a pioneer SG-540 equalizer. So i have to be careful if i switch headphones or enable my speakers so i don't get a heart attack. But i dont like the sound they make when i connect them to my phone. I can't get any volume out of them, so they will be my precious home headphones.

Now when i know what i bought I'm quite pleased :)
The headphones was in good shape except that they were very dirty. So i cleaned them.

Sorry if i use wrong grammar or don't spell correctly, I'm Swedish :)
It was really fun reading this forum and getting to know my new headphones a little more.

Treasure this find, happens once in a lifetime.

A fellow Swede.

Jul 10, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #90 of 246
Quote:
I like it loud.

Now when i know what i bought I'm quite pleased
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry if i use wrong grammar or don't spell correctly, I'm Swedish
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh Christ. Here I am having to pay $600+ to get myself a pair while there are still people finding them for dirt ******* cheap. Crazy I tell you. It almost makes me want to rip my hair out.

Good find, cherish it forever, just like MDR30 said. It's a very, very special headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back